Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Doug

Default accented characters in text console

On 06/20/2012 06:58 PM, hvw59601 wrote:

Hi,

I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!). I
used to do it because I have the files that show them, but I have no
idea how I did that.

The keyboard is a US keyboard.

At the moment /etc/default/keyboard shows:

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="intl"
#XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rctrl,terminat e:ctrl_alt_bksp"

BACKSPACE="guess"

Hitting the ' key just produces the ' character.

Compose key + ' produces a beep.

Cntrl + . then ' and any other character produces a ÿ.

/etc/locale.gen is set to en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15.

Hugo

If you have a compose key (or if you don't then make one,
out of the right control key, or a Microsoft key, if you have one)
then you are half way there. By half, I mean that you have to
key in two characters AFTER compose. Like this:
(compose) " o and get ö or (compose) ' e for è or whatever. Note that
you don't hold the compose key--you strike it, and then fairly quickly,
enter the two characters that make up the desired glyph.
Most glyphs are made of things that look like they go together.
A few don't: you need (compose) s s ß and get the German
ess-tset character. You can also get €, and ¢ and ¥ and £
and fractions ½ ⅓ ¼ and 78° Fahrenheit--that's (compose) o o.

so now you know.

--doug

Archive: 4FE27520.80404@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FE27520.80404@optonline.net

Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Chris Davies

hvw59601 <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!)

> The keyboard is a US keyboard.
> At the moment /etc/default/keyboard shows:
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="us"
> XKBVARIANT="intl"
> #XKBVARIANT=""
> XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rctrl,terminat e:ctrl_alt_bksp"

> Hitting the ' key just produces the ' character.
> Compose key + ' produces a beep.
> Cntrl + . then ' and any other character produces a .
> /etc/locale.gen is set to en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15.

This probably doesn't help much but here is my comparable configuration,
which does work when I try things like, for example, Compose ' i (three
separate key presses; Compose is *not* like Shift or Control).

grep '^[^#]' /etc/locale.gen
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

grep '^[^#]' /etc/default/keyboard
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="compose:ralt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

Running dgpk-reconfigure keyboard-configuration, I chose these settings:

Model: Generic 105-key (Intl) PC
Layout: United Kingdom
AltGr: The default for the keyboard layout
Compose: Right Alt (AltGr)
Control+Alt+Backspace to terminate: Yes

Notice that even though I chose the 105 key (Intl) keyboard, I do not
have an XKBVARIANT even though Compose is enabled and works. Mind you,
I've never really understood what the XKBVARIANT=intl is intended to
do for US and UK keyboards, as I use a Compose key to get my non-UK
characters.

Chris

Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Jon Dowland

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 05:58:34PM -0500, hvw59601 wrote:
> /etc/locale.gen is set to en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15.

I'm afraid I'm not offering a proper solution here, but I would implore you to
move to UTF-8 for your locale, and any files storing non-ASCII characters. Life
is just a little simpler that way.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
hvw59601

Jon Dowland wrote:

/etc/locale.gen is set to en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15.

I'm afraid I'm not offering a proper solution here, but I would implore you to
move to UTF-8 for your locale, and any files storing non-ASCII characters. Life
is just a little simpler that way.

Indeed, but I run some ancient graphics apps. that don't do well with
UTF-8 :-(

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jrvand$fua$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
hvw59601

Doug wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately as I indicated compose don't seem to work.

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jrvarr$fua$2@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Camalen

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:58:34 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!). I
> used to do it because I have the files that show them, but I have no
> idea how I did that.
>
> The keyboard is a US keyboard.
>
> At the moment /etc/default/keyboard shows:
>
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="us"
> XKBVARIANT="intl"
> #XKBVARIANT=""
> XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:rctrl,terminat e:ctrl_alt_bksp"
>
> BACKSPACE="guess"
>
> Hitting the ' key just produces the ' character.

That sound right, you need to add a vowel, e.g.:

"'" + "a" will return an accented ""

> Compose key + ' produces a beep.
>
> Cntrl + . then ' and any other character produces a .
>
> /etc/locale.gen is set to en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15.

Additional tips on how to compose things when using "us-intl", here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Siard

Indeed, AFAIK Compose only works in X. But you wrote:

> I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!)

and everyone seems to have missed that.

I remember at least one method to enter accented characters in a text
console, it's the same as in Windows:

Keep Alt pressed while entering the decimal code in the numerical
keypad.

For example, Alt + 246 produces . It works here (Wheezy).
Codes can be found in the manpage of iso-8859-1.

There are probably better ways, but I don't remember them at the moment.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Chris Davies

Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> and everyone seems to have missed that.

Nope. I have a working Compose key in a VT. See my other post in this
thread.

Chris

Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
hvw59601

Siard wrote:

Unfortunately as I indicated compose don't seem to work.

Indeed, AFAIK Compose only works in X. But you wrote:

I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!)

and everyone seems to have missed that.

I remember at least one method to enter accented characters in a text
console, it's the same as in Windows:

Keep Alt pressed while entering the decimal code in the numerical
keypad.

For example, Alt + 246 produces . It works here (Wheezy).
Codes can be found in the manpage of iso-8859-1.

There are probably better ways, but I don't remember them at the moment.

Good idea. Unfortunately doesn't work here (also Wheezy).

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/js1oak$bg1$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM
hvw59601

Siard wrote:

Unfortunately as I indicated compose don't seem to work.

Indeed, AFAIK Compose only works in X. But you wrote:

I want to enter accented characters in a text console (not in X!)

and everyone seems to have missed that.

I remember at least one method to enter accented characters in a text
console, it's the same as in Windows:

Keep Alt pressed while entering the decimal code in the numerical
keypad.

For example, Alt + 246 produces . It works here (Wheezy).
Codes can be found in the manpage of iso-8859-1.

There are probably better ways, but I don't remember them at the moment.

Wait! You said 'numerical keypad' and I missed that the first time, and
that *does* work! Thanks!

Hugo