Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
hce

Default Why Installing php and pecl so difficult in Debian?

Hi,

I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
php-xml packages.

So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.

People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
extension?

How can I install all php extensions by using apt-get?

Thank you.

Jim

Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
"John Fleming"

> The apt-get install can't find any php

Did
you

apt-cache search php ??

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:10:33 +1000, hce (webmail.hce@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
> install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
> php-xml packages.
>
> So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
> php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
> php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
> It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.
>
> People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
> for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
> extension?
>
> How can I install all php extensions by using apt-get?

Don't know about pecl, but there are lots of php related packages:

bob@trantor:~$ aptitude search php | wc -l
250

including these specifically xml related:

bob@trantor:~$ aptitude search php | grep xml
p php-xml-htmlsax3 - SAX parser for HTML and other badly formed
p php-xml-parser - PHP PEAR module for parsing XML
p php-xml-rss - RSS parser
p php-xml-serializer - swiss-army knife for reading and writing X
p php-xml-util - a XML utility for php-pear
p php4-domxml - XMLv2 module for php4
p php5-xmlrpc - XML-RPC module for php5
p phpgroupware-xmlrpc - phpGroupWare XMLRPC module

An apt-cache search would produce the same results presumably.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Dave Sherohman

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:10:33PM +1000, hce wrote:
> I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
> install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
> php-xml packages.
>
> So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
> php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
> php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
> It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.
>
> People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
> for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
> extension?
>
> How can I install all php extensions by using apt-get?

The package names all include the version of PHP. You can't "apt-get
install php", true, but you *can* "apt-get install php5" or "apt-get
install php4".

As others have mentioned, you may also want to try "apt-cache search",
although, admittedly, the sheer bulk of packages mentioning php
("apt-cache search php" returns 408 results) could make this a more
time-consuming route than would be ideal.

--
News aggregation meets world domination. Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/

Old 04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Rico Secada

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:10:33 +1000
hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
> install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
> php-xml packages.
>
> So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
> php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
> php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
> It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.
>
> People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
> for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
> extension?
>
> How can I install all php extensions by using apt-get?

You have to know what specific package you need. PHP is supplied as
package name "php4" or "php5".

# apt-get install php5

Would do the job.

Search for the packages you need:

# apt-cache search php | less

Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
hce

On 4/11/08, Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:10:33 +1000
>
> hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
> > install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
> > php-xml packages.
> >
> > So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
> > php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
> > php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
> > It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.
> >
> > People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
> > for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
> > extension?
> >
> > How can I install all php extensions by using apt-get?
>

> You have to know what specific package you need. PHP is supplied as
> package name "php4" or "php5".
>
> # apt-get install php5

I've already installed php5. But could not find pecl.

> Would do the job.
>
> Search for the packages you need:
>
> # apt-cache search php | less

Yes, I did search pecl but confused by following results:

$ apt-cache search pecl
dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions
php-pear - PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Repository
php4-imagick - ImageMagick module for php4
php5-imagick - ImageMagick module for php5

And it was my question whether the dh-make-php is the right package
for PHP PECL package?

Thank you.

Jim