Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Artifex Maximus

Default dependency tree on installed packages

Hello!

My Wheezy was installed on a very early stage any I would like to
compare packages against a fresh installation to see what is different
or changed. Probably nothing but would like to verify. Therefore I
would like to make a dependency tree (graph) on installed packages
under Wheezy for both (my older and a fresh) installation. On the two
dependency trees I am able to find differences between them because
packages by packages compare is not enough I think.

I have made some google and found that debtree and apt-cache might do
that. But do not. Or not exactly what I would like. debtree needs a
package name for graph but I need all my installed packages (no --all
or asterisk parameter) not just some and apt-cache makes tree from all
packages Debian has even I specify the parameter --installed. I am
stuck.

Any other idea for what I would like to do? Script or application or
just hint. Anything.

Bye,

Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Keith McKenzie

apt-cache dump | grep Package:
apt-cache dump | grep Version:

Those will get 2 separate lists of installed software names & versions.

Maybe that will get what you want in a roundabout way. :-)

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Artifex Maximus

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Keith McKenzie <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:
> apt-cache dump | grep Package:
> apt-cache dump | grep Version:
>
> Those will get 2 separate lists of installed software names & versions.
>
> Maybe that will get what you want in a roundabout way. *:-)

Thank you. Unfortunately it gives all Debian packages not just installed.

# apt-cache dump | grep Package: | wc -l
47121
# apt-cache --installed dump | grep Package: | wc -l
47121
# dpkg --list | wc -l
2481

Bye,

Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:08:39PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My Wheezy was installed on a very early stage any I would like to
> compare packages against a fresh installation to see what is different
> or changed. Probably nothing but would like to verify. Therefore I
> would like to make a dependency tree (graph) on installed packages
> under Wheezy for both (my older and a fresh) installation. On the two
> dependency trees I am able to find differences between them because
> packages by packages compare is not enough I think.
>
> I have made some google and found that debtree and apt-cache might do
> that. But do not. Or not exactly what I would like. debtree needs a
> package name for graph but I need all my installed packages (no --all
> or asterisk parameter) not just some and apt-cache makes tree from all
> packages Debian has even I specify the parameter --installed. I am
> stuck.

It looks like "apt-cache --installed depends ." should do what you want.
If it's doing what you want, but for all packages, then that seems like
a bug to me (the --installed parameter says "Limit the output of depends
and rdepends to packages which are currently installed"). Note that
"--installed" only works with 'depends' and 'rdepends'.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Teemu Likonen

Artifex Maximus [2012-06-20 12:08:39 +0200] wrote:

> debtree needs a package name for graph but I need all my installed
> packages (no --all or asterisk parameter) not just some and apt-cache
> makes tree from all packages Debian has even I specify the parameter
> --installed. I am stuck.

I may have misunderstood what you are asking but maybe this:

aptitude -F%p search '~i'

Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Claudius Hubig

Hello Artifex,

Artifex Maximus <artifexor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Keith McKenzie <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Those will get 2 separate lists of installed software names & versions.
> # dpkg --list | wc -l
> 2481

Why don’t you use the output of dpkg -l? Also check man 1 dpkg-query.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
A diplomatic husband said to his wife, "How do you expect me to remember
your birthday when you never look any older?"

Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Artifex Maximus

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:08:39PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> My Wheezy was installed on a very early stage any I would like to
>> compare packages against a fresh installation to see what is different
>> or changed. Probably nothing but would like to verify. Therefore I
>> would like to make a dependency tree (graph) on installed packages
>> under Wheezy for both (my older and a fresh) installation. On the two
>> dependency trees I am able to find differences between them because
>> packages by packages compare is not enough I think.
>>
>> I have made some google and found that debtree and apt-cache might do
>> that. But do not. Or not exactly what I would like. debtree needs a
>> package name for graph but I need all my installed packages (no --all
>> or asterisk parameter) not just some and apt-cache makes tree from all
>> packages Debian has even I specify the parameter --installed. I am
>> stuck.
>
> It looks like "apt-cache --installed depends ." should do what you want.
> If it's doing what you want, but for all packages, then that seems like
> a bug to me (the --installed parameter says "Limit the output of depends
> and rdepends to packages which are currently installed"). Note that
> "--installed" only works with 'depends' and 'rdepends'.

This depends output looks very close to what I would like but
--installed does not works with depends for me even man page says so.

# dpkg --list | grep 0ad
# apt-cache --installed depends . | grep 0ad
0ad
0ad-data
0ad-dbg
# apt-cache --installed depends . | egrep -v '^ ' | wc -l
47121

Bye,

Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Artifex Maximus

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> Artifex Maximus [2012-06-20 12:08:39 +0200] wrote:
>
>> debtree needs a package name for graph but I need all my installed
>> packages (no --all or asterisk parameter) not just some and apt-cache
>> makes tree from all packages Debian has even I specify the parameter
>> --installed. I am stuck.
>
> I may have misunderstood what you are asking but maybe this:
>
> * *aptitude -F%p search '~i'

Thanks but not really what I want. Its output is close to dpkg --list
and nothing about dependency which I would like.

Bye,

Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Artifex Maximus

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Claudius Hubig <debian_1206@chubig.net> wrote:
> Hello Artifex,
>
> Artifex Maximus <artifexor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Keith McKenzie <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Those will get 2 separate lists of installed software names & versions.
>> # dpkg --list | wc -l
>> 2481
>
> Why don’t you use the output of dpkg -l? Also check man 1 dpkg-query.

Thank you. dpkg -l writes out all installed packages but not the
relations between them. I did similar comparison between systems but
seeing the differences in a tree makes this process easier because I
can cut leafs if I know there is related or not to my later
installation. If I compare packages line-by-line without any relation
I do not know that any extra or missing packages is related to other
packages or might "standalone" packages.

I think the continuous upgrade process from the early stage of Wheezy
left some unneeded packages. This is normal as I started early just
want to clean out my system. Maybe I am wrong on base idea but would
like to check and look for some utility to make it easier. I there is
no such utility I will compare line-by-line as last resort.

Bye,

Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Claudius Hubig

Hello Artifex,

Artifex Maximus <artifexor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you. dpkg -l writes out all installed packages but not the
> relations between them. I did similar comparison between systems but
> seeing the differences in a tree makes this process easier because I
> can cut leafs if I know there is related or not to my later
> installation. If I compare packages line-by-line without any relation
> I do not know that any extra or missing packages is related to other
> packages or might "standalone" packages.

I was implying to feed this output into higher level tools to
generate dependency graphs for you.

> I think the continuous upgrade process from the early stage of Wheezy
> left some unneeded packages. This is normal as I started early just
> want to clean out my system. Maybe I am wrong on base idea but would
> like to check and look for some utility to make it easier. I there is
> no such utility I will compare line-by-line as last resort.

If you simply want to clean out your system, have a look at deborphan.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
I am NOT a kludge! I am a computer!