Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Andrei POPESCU

Default dependency tree on installed packages

On Mi, 20 iun 12, 20:55:09, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> I think the continuous upgrade process from the early stage of Wheezy
> left some unneeded packages. This is normal as I started early just
> want to clean out my system. Maybe I am wrong on base idea but would
> like to check and look for some utility to make it easier. I there is
> no such utility I will compare line-by-line as last resort.

Not what your looking for, but my way of cleaning up is to use
aptitude's interactive mode and mark all packages automatically
installed. Then I press 'g' once (this is important), go through the
list of packages to be removed and use '+' to mark them to be kept and
manually installed.

I'm doing at least two or three passes, first time marking just packages
that are very important to me and then consecutive passes marking
packages less important. It's easier if I just 'q' after each pass and
press 'g' again, to get a shorter list.

Package relations can be seen in aptitude with 'r' (reverse
dependencies) and 'd' (dependencies).

See also debtree.

Hope this helps,
Andrei