Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Sthu Deus

Default the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

Good time of the day, Camaleón.

Thank You for Your support and assistance for Deb. users!
You worte:

> We don't have to hold for those "horrible" things anymore. We need to
> develop our own way. If we remain at the commands of MS we will be
> doing it wrong.

I agree w/ You. Debian is outstanding distro - not just another distro,
I would call it home for FLOSS - and it is already not only linux
kernel limited. And a good territory for people's freedom protection.

Sthu.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 05 June 2012 18:55:59 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> That's awkward, i was under the impression there was a change some
> years back so that the stable branch would change to a 6 months
> release schedule. Did that never go through or was it only temporary?

It was cancelled, though they seem to be trying to keep the gap between
releases a bit shorter. But the fact that Debian stable is well debugged and
only released when it is ready, is one of the reasons that I, and, I imagine,
others, use it.

I am just sorry that they have changed it at all. Ubuntu now has 5 year
support for its long term supported version. Such a pity that Debian is
going the other way. :-(

Lisi

Old 06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:29 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2012 18:55:59 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> > That's awkward, i was under the impression there was a change some
> > years back so that the stable branch would change to a 6 months
> > release schedule. Did that never go through or was it only temporary?
>
> It was cancelled, though they seem to be trying to keep the gap between
> releases a bit shorter. But the fact that Debian stable is well debugged and
> only released when it is ready, is one of the reasons that I, and, I imagine,
> others, use it.
>
> I am just sorry that they have changed it at all. Ubuntu now has 5 year
> support for its long term supported version. Such a pity that Debian is
> going the other way. :-(
>
> Lisi

For my needs I unfortunately have to switch distros and versions very
often, but FULL ACK, if a system does fit to our needs, we should use it
10 or 15 years or forever. By theory it's possible for my needs, since a
DAW doesn't need security upgrades for the browser etc., unfortunately I
need to exchange some hardware from time to time. Unfortunately
compiling stuff doesn't work after a while, because you'll run into
dependency hell, sometimes a patch that simply add a header to the old
source code can help, but anyway, it's a PITA to maintain old faithful
OSes. Pff, no modern monitor is "slow enough" so that I can use it with
my Atari ST ... dinos will die and make place for something new. That
ships with advantages and drawbacks .

Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
John Hasler

Lisi writes:
> I am just sorry that they have changed it at all. Ubuntu now has 5
> year support for its long term supported version. Such a pity that
> Debian is going the other way.

Support beyond Stable is on a "best effort" basis. If enough people
were willing to actually work on it I'm sure a "long term support"
version would be welcome. Are you volunteering? You don't have to be a
programmer to help with Debian.
--
John Hasler

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 09:49 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Lisi writes:
> > I am just sorry that they have changed it at all. Ubuntu now has 5
> > year support for its long term supported version. Such a pity that
> > Debian is going the other way.
>
> Support beyond Stable is on a "best effort" basis. If enough people
> were willing to actually work on it I'm sure a "long term support"
> version would be welcome. Are you volunteering? You don't have to be a
> programmer to help with Debian.

That's true, building new packages can be done based on old packages. I
don't have the howto at hand, but it's very easy to do. I mark this mail
as a todo and hopefully I can add a howto within the next days,
please don't stone me, if I forget to do this .

- Ralf

Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Jochen Spieker

Lisi:

> I am just sorry that they have changed it at all. Ubuntu now has 5 year
> support for its long term supported version. Such a pity that Debian is
> going the other way. :-(

This comparison is a bit unfair since Ubuntu officially only supports
its "main" repository which is, as far as I know, considerably smaller
than Debian's "main". And the LTS promise isn't kept for all flavours or
parts of Ubuntu.[1] AFAIU, Ubuntu's upgrade policy for stable releases
isn't as strict as Debian's either.[2]

So while Debian's stable releases aren't supported as long as Ubuntu's
LTS releases, Debian support covers more packages and is more
conservative in what it includes -- even if that means more work.

And, BTW, Desktop LTS support lasts only for 3 years, not 5.

J.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

The LTS designation applies only to specific subsets of the Ubuntu
archive. The LTS may not apply to all flavors and remixes of Ubuntu.
For example, for 8.04 LTS, Kubuntu chose to move to KDE 4.0 and
didn't issue an LTS release. In 10.04, the Netbook Edition was not
an LTS. The project will decide which flavors will be LTS and the
support duration for each, early in the LTS development cycle.

[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

In some cases, when upstream fixes bugs, they do a new microrelease
instead of just sending patches. If all of the changes are
appropriate for an SRU by the criteria above, then it is acceptable
(and usually easier) to just upload the complete new upstream
microrelease instead of backporting the individual patches. Note
that some noise introduced by autoreconf is okay, but making
structural changes to the build system (such as introducing new
library dependencies) is generally not.

If a new upstream release has more intrusive changes, you need to
request an exception from the Technical Board, especially if you are
going to upload the package with non-SRU changes multiple times in
the future. Please see special cases below.

--
I like my Toyota RAV4 because of the commanding view of the traffic
jams.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 17:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 09:49 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Lisi writes:
> > > I am just sorry that they have changed it at all. Ubuntu now has 5
> > > year support for its long term supported version. Such a pity that
> > > Debian is going the other way.
> >
> > Support beyond Stable is on a "best effort" basis. If enough people
> > were willing to actually work on it I'm sure a "long term support"
> > version would be welcome. Are you volunteering? You don't have to be a
> > programmer to help with Debian.
>
> That's true, building new packages can be done based on old packages. I
> don't have the howto at hand, but it's very easy to do. I mark this mail
> as a todo and hopefully I can add a howto within the next days,
> please don't stone me, if I forget to do this .
>
> - Ralf

apt-get source PACKAGENAME

sudo apt-get build-dep PACKAGENAME (or su, if you don't have sudo
installed)

mv -vi PACKAGENAME-1.0/ PACKAGENAME-2.0

wget source_from_origin_place | tar xvj (or whatever)

cd SOURCE_DIR

# edit debian/changelog -> PACKAGENAME (version) e.g. unstable;
urgency=low

# edit debian/rules -> if needed

libtoolize --force --copy --automake

aclocal

autoreconf

debuild -b -us -uc

sudo dpkg -i ../PACKAGENAME.deb

Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> And, BTW, Desktop LTS support lasts only for 3 years, not 5.

It's been pushed up to 5 years with 12.04.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Lisi

On Monday 25 June 2012 16:13:54 Jochen Spieker wrote:
> And, BTW, Desktop LTS support lasts only for 3 years, not 5.

I recently read that it was changing to five for the desktop, as well as the
server edition. If you say that this is an urban myth, I am happy to believe
you.

Lisi

Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Jochen Spieker

Lisi:
> On Monday 25 June 2012 16:13:54 Jochen Spieker wrote:
>> And, BTW, Desktop LTS support lasts only for 3 years, not 5.
>
> I recently read that it was changing to five for the desktop, as well as the
> server edition. If you say that this is an urban myth, I am happy to believe
> you.

No, I just didn't read the entry in the Ubunti wiki thoroughly. Five
years is correct for >= 12.04.

J.
--
As a child I pulled the legs from a spider.
[Agree] [Disagree]