-   -   any stable open source ldap software for SSO (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/674769-any-stable-open-source-ldap-software-sso.html)

Umarzuki Mochlis 06-20-2012 01:42 AM

any stable open source ldap software for SSO

this is for a organization with 2000+ windows 7 & windows xp desktops
and multiple file sharing softwares

any idea aside openldap?

have anyone configured openldap for the above situation?

any gotchas when working with windows 2003 and 2008 servers?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

"John A. Sullivan III" 06-20-2012 06:54 AM

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 09:42 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> this is for a organization with 2000+ windows 7 & windows xp desktops
> and multiple file sharing softwares
>
> any idea aside openldap?
>
> have anyone configured openldap for the above situation?
>
> any gotchas when working with windows 2003 and 2008 servers?
<snip>
We have been very happy with Red Hat Directory Server / Fedora 389
(http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Main_Page). The Red Hat Free
IPA project looked very interesting several years ago but it was not
quite ready then. It very well may be now -
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page
Good luck - John

Camaleón 06-20-2012 01:45 PM

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:42:50 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> this is for a organization with 2000+ windows 7 & windows xp desktops
> and multiple file sharing softwares
>
> any idea aside openldap?

Wikipedia has a small list of LDAP server software:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LDAP_software#Server_software

And just out of curiosity, why not OpenLDAP? Any known issue you're aware
of? :-?

> have anyone configured openldap for the above situation?
>
> any gotchas when working with windows 2003 and 2008 servers?

Being based on openSUSE, I think SLES provides OpenLDAP by default for
their directory services, I don't know if it can be seen as a guarantee
for you :-)

Google can also be of some help here (search key "large-scale OpenLDAP"):

http://bit.ly/KMtGfJ

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"John A. Sullivan III" 06-20-2012 02:30 PM

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 13:45 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:42:50 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>
> > this is for a organization with 2000+ windows 7 & windows xp desktops
> > and multiple file sharing softwares
> >
> > any idea aside openldap?

<snip>
I admit that I have never extensively used OpenLDAP but, when we did our
initial research, the feedback seemed to be that it could be unwieldy to
manage and that the support had a tendency to be cantankerous and
arrogant. In contrast, the Directory Server support has been amazing
both on the mailing lists and on IRC - John

Camaleón 06-21-2012 04:22 PM

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:30:57 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 13:45 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:42:50 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>>
>> > this is for a organization with 2000+ windows 7 & windows xp desktops
>> > and multiple file sharing softwares
>> >
>> > any idea aside openldap?
>>
> <snip>

If you're replying to my post you removed too much of the quoted text ;-)

> I admit that I have never extensively used OpenLDAP but, when we did our
> initial research, the feedback seemed to be that it could be unwieldy to
> manage and that the support had a tendency to be cantankerous and
> arrogant. In contrast, the Directory Server support has been amazing
> both on the mailing lists and on IRC - John

So you mean one of the reasons that lead you to the change (in your case)
was not specifically a technical one nor limited capability of the
OpenLDAP solution but more a support issue?

That's also something important to take into account, mainly when you're
going to deploy a large installation for a company. Good to know.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Umarzuki Mochlis 06-22-2012 01:06 AM

2012/6/22 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:30:57 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>

> If you're replying to my post you removed too much of the quoted text ;-)
>
>> I admit that I have never extensively used OpenLDAP but, when we did our
>> initial research, the feedback seemed to be that it could be unwieldy to
>> manage and that the support had a tendency to be cantankerous and
>> arrogant. *In contrast, the Directory Server support has been amazing
>> both on the mailing lists and on IRC - John
>
> So you mean one of the reasons that lead you to the change (in your case)
> was not specifically a technical one nor limited capability of the
> OpenLDAP solution but more a support issue?
>
> That's also something important to take into account, mainly when you're
> going to deploy a large installation for a company. Good to know.

by the Directory Server, you meant 389 Directory Server??

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Camaleón 06-22-2012 02:23 PM

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:06:39 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> 2012/6/22 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:30:57 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>

>> If you're replying to my post you removed too much of the quoted text
>> ;-)
>>
>>> I admit that I have never extensively used OpenLDAP but, when we did
>>> our initial research, the feedback seemed to be that it could be
>>> unwieldy to manage and that the support had a tendency to be
>>> cantankerous and arrogant. *In contrast, the Directory Server support
>>> has been amazing both on the mailing lists and on IRC - John

(...)

> by the Directory Server, you meant 389 Directory Server??

I'm not John but I think yes, with some minor differences between
Fedora's and Redhat's incarnation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/389_Directory_Server

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"John A. Sullivan III" 06-23-2012 01:34 AM

On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 14:23 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:06:39 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>
> > 2012/6/22 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:30:57 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >>

> >> If you're replying to my post you removed too much of the quoted text
> >> ;-)

> (...)
>
> > by the Directory Server, you meant 389 Directory Server??
>

> I'm not John but I think yes, with some minor differences between
> Fedora's and Redhat's incarnation:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/389_Directory_Server
>
> Greetings,
>
> --