Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Teemu Likonen

Default netinst on old dell hardware

Paul E. Condon [2012-06-20 02:55:41 -0600] wrote:

> On 20120620_081652, didier gaumet wrote:
>> Your CD, being from the "lenny=stable" era, probably attempts to
>> access "stable" release but it does not exists on an archive
>> repository. Replacing "stable" by "lenny" could do the trick

> This is what must be happening. And I have no way to edit an iso image
> to do the replacement, so I can't use the archive to get a working
> debian installation on the box and then dist-upgrade to something more
> modern.

Doesn't the expert install method allow editing sources.list?
(I'm not sure.)

Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 07:34:28PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 03:03:28PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > * note: I don't know that X is involved in painting the screen graphics on
> > boot up from the Debian install CDs. When I think about it, X seems like
> > an awfully heavy weight way to paint a picture. Suffice to say I don't want
> > and have never selected graphical install.
>
> Have you heard of the framebuffer? No X involved.

The Framebuffer and X are not mutually exclusive. The framebuffer is,
basically, a non-accelerated graphics device. Most PCs these days have
two options for displaying graphics: calculate the entire image on the
CPU/main RAM and then send a series of pixels to the framebuffer - the
framebuffer will then hold these pixels until the next monitor sync
comes along. Alternatively, you can send a series of commands to a
graphics processor and have that calculate the final image. This, of
course, frees up the CPU, hence the acceleration.

X, on the other hand, is a networked display server. It is mostly an
abstraction layer. Application programmers can develop their programs
without having to worry about whether the target device is a
framebuffer, a GPU or even a different computer somewhere else on the
network.

It is perfectly possible to run X on a framebuffer - for computers that
only have a framebuffer this is the ONLY way to run an X server.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Paul E Condon

On 20120620_083247, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 19 Jun 2012 at 22:33:44 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > On 20120620_004441, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd put archive.debian.org for the mirror hostname.
>
> [Snip]
>
> > I think I have already tried that, and I tried again just now, just to
> > make sure, and again I got the standard "Bad Archive Mirror"
> > message. That message suggests that either the archive is not
> > available, or that there is not a valid Release file in it. . . . . . .
>
> I used the mini.iso from
>
> http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian-5.0/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
>
> successfully.

Thanks, but I'm no longer confident that loading Lenny on the box will get
me closer to my larger goal, which is loading Squeeze and eventually Wheezy
on it. I had earlier tried to load Squeeze on directly but couldn't get the
screen to display anything readable, just disorganized patches of light. My
mistake was to use my trusty Squeeze businesscard CD. If I had used my Squeeze
netinst CD I would have seen different behavior. Using netinst, there is a dialog
about how to set up the monitor drivers. Answer the questions and get a usable
image. But... At first the install goes just like many that I have done before,
until in the midst of installing the packages of the target system there is
an error message saying that it cannot install a deb called python2.6-minimal.
This package is needed for setting up some of the following packages. The
options offered are try again, or do something else. Neither path leads to
a bootable system either because there is no installed kernel or grub won't
install for lack of some essential tool. Its late at night here. I
get some rest and maybe come up the a revised project on which I can ask
for help that does me some good, rather good answers to too narrow a question.

Thanks
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Brian

On Wed 20 Jun 2012 at 03:20:02 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> On 20120620_083247, Brian wrote:
> >
> > I used the mini.iso from
> >
> > http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian-5.0/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
> >
> > successfully.
>
> Thanks, but I'm no longer confident that loading Lenny on the box will get
> me closer to my larger goal, which is loading Squeeze and eventually Wheezy
> on it.

The goal is achievable. If other techniques don't give you a readable
screen display or lead to errors it may be the only way to go. Anyway,
there is nothing like doing it to see where you can get, so, having an
hour or two to kill this morning, here is brief set of instructions and
a description of the outcome.

1, Downloaded a Lenny netinst iso from

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/

and burnt it to a CD.

2. Booted the iso. Chose expert mode. Got to the configuring the package
manager stage and gave archive.debian.org as the mirror and /debian/
as the directory. As with the mini iso, the netinst iso contacted the
mirror, downloaded what it needed and got on with preparing for
offering to install software. I do not understand why you should have
a problem with this step because archive.debian.org is structured
like any other archive.

3. Deselected the desktop task and installed just the bare minimum.

4. Went with GRUB 2 as the boot loader to put in the MBR of the first
hard disk.

5. Booted to Lenny. Altered sources.list to point to a Squeeze archive.

6. apt-get update. apt-get upgrade. Reboot. apt-get dist-upgrade.
Reboot.

7. Altered sources.list to point to a Wheezy archive. apt-get update.
apt-get upgrade. Reboot. apt-get dist-upgrade.

I am confident the mini.iso would have lead to the same outcome. You now
have the URLs of two isos to use.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:56:00 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

(...)

> The Squeeze netinstall CD that I have used for several previous installs
> on other hardware won't work on this hardware. It doesn't initialize the
> flat screen display properly. There is a Debian swirl but response to
> keyboard commands which should be screen displays on which I type
> answers, or menus from which I can select options are replaced by a
> jibberish of tiny rectangles, mostly empty but some having a single tiny
> letter. This is a real show stopper on installing Squeeze. The same is
> true for Squeeze bizcard, and Wheezy bizcard.

How about the usual wheezy ISO netinstall or even the first CD? Have you
tried to load a LiveCD and see how it goes? Have you verified the ISO
checksum before and after burning the media?

> But my old Lenny netinstall CD *does*work*. Now I need a repository to
> point it at. I've found archive.kernel.org (I'm in USA). But I'm having
> trouble composing the exact string that I need to type into the screen
> on my new(to me) computer. And, I have never had a good understanding of
> the magic involved in the apt-get system. I know about the option 'enter
> inforation manually' in the menu of countries. But what do I enter
> there?

I wouldn't use Lenny (now unsupported) for a new system but that's
something you have to decide. Anyway, Lenny is now available in the
archives, this is what I use:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

> And in the screen that follows asking for 'Debian archive mirror
> directory:' which is prefilled with a default of '/debian/', should I
> accept /debian/ or replace it? with what?

Leaving the default should be just fine.

> Lastly, there is a question about a proxy. I don't believe I have a
> proxy, but using archive.kernel.org might necessitate one. I hope not.
> Proxy?

Not unless you are behind one and you can provide the required data to
configure it :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20120620_121804, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Paul E. Condon [2012-06-20 02:55:41 -0600] wrote:
>
> > On 20120620_081652, didier gaumet wrote:
> >> Your CD, being from the "lenny=stable" era, probably attempts to
> >> access "stable" release but it does not exists on an archive
> >> repository. Replacing "stable" by "lenny" could do the trick
>
> > This is what must be happening. And I have no way to edit an iso image
> > to do the replacement, so I can't use the archive to get a working
> > debian installation on the box and then dist-upgrade to something more
> > modern.
>
> Doesn't the expert install method allow editing sources.list?
> (I'm not sure.)

It allows selecting a mirror from a long list of existing mirrors and
typing in the name of an unlisted mirror, but not editing a line in
sources.list format. In this case the built in name on the CD is
surely 'stable' and *not* 'lenny', as support or named releases was
not yet fully implemented back then. Didier reminded me of that. I
think this fact pretty is a show stopper for what I was hoping to
do. I am rethinking my goals and objectives today.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Rick Thomas

[...]

You can always use the Alt-F2 console to edit (I think nano is
available) the sources.list file yourself after the choose-mirror step.

You may have to do it in /target/etc/apt as well as /etc/apt .

I haven't tried it myself, so let us know how/whether it works for you.

Rick

Archive: A6237FBC-E47B-42EA-9AA7-DEB431B3764D@pobox.com">http://lists.debian.org/A6237FBC-E47B-42EA-9AA7-DEB431B3764D@pobox.com

Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20120620_130712, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 20 Jun 2012 at 03:20:02 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > On 20120620_083247, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > I used the mini.iso from
> > >
> > > http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian-5.0/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
> > >
> > > successfully.
> >
> > Thanks, but I'm no longer confident that loading Lenny on the box will get
> > me closer to my larger goal, which is loading Squeeze and eventually Wheezy
> > on it.
>
> The goal is achievable. If other techniques don't give you a readable
> screen display or lead to errors it may be the only way to go. Anyway,
> there is nothing like doing it to see where you can get, so, having an
> hour or two to kill this morning, here is brief set of instructions and
> a description of the outcome.
>
> 1, Downloaded a Lenny netinst iso from
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/
>
> and burnt it to a CD.
>
> 2. Booted the iso. Chose expert mode. Got to the configuring the package
> manager stage and gave archive.debian.org as the mirror and /debian/
> as the directory. As with the mini iso, the netinst iso contacted the
> mirror, downloaded what it needed and got on with preparing for
> offering to install software. I do not understand why you should have
> a problem with this step because archive.debian.org is structured
> like any other archive.
>
> 3. Deselected the desktop task and installed just the bare minimum.
>
> 4. Went with GRUB 2 as the boot loader to put in the MBR of the first
> hard disk.
>
> 5. Booted to Lenny. Altered sources.list to point to a Squeeze archive.

Ok. Trying to repeat your work, I accomplish all steps thru 4,
but I cannot boot to Lenny. Instead I get error message :

Error: Couldn't read file
Press any key to continue...

I press a key and get:

Error: You need to load the kernel first.
Press any key to continue...

Clearly food for thoughts about debugging the hardware.
Why isn't the kernel there? I answered all questions about kernel by
accepting the offered defaults.
Ideas?

( My idea is that maybe there is not enough RAM on this box. How much
should be needed? This box has 512MB according to sticker on it from
the vendor. )

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net