-   -   Antivirus for CLI (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/674372-antivirus-cli.html)

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-19-2012 06:50 AM

Antivirus for CLI

a newbie question.
i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop)
and i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am
using SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM and Planning for MTA. do you
guys think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?

We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
only. i couldn't find CLI base client.

any help would be appropriated.

Thanks,

MYK

Alberto Fuentes 06-19-2012 07:02 AM

Antivirus for CLI

i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop)
and i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am
using SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM and Planning for MTA. do you
guys think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?

We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
only. i couldn't find CLI base client.

any help would be appropriated.

Thanks,

MYK

well, for the servers dont really need antivirus protection (how many
programs from unknow sources are you using?). You can run clamav for
mail attachments and samba shares to protect your users.

You can run some nids/ids or honeypot to mitigate attacks on the server

greets
aL

Archive: 4FE023EE.4010007@qindel.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE023EE.4010007@qindel.com

Ralf Mardorf 06-19-2012 07:15 AM

Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 09:02 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 08:50 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > a newbie question.
> > i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop)
> > and i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am
> > using SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM and Planning for MTA. do you
> > guys think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?
> >
> > We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
> > only. i couldn't find CLI base client.
> >
> > any help would be appropriated.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > MYK
> >

> well, for the servers dont really need antivirus protection (how many
> programs from unknow sources are you using?). You can run clamav for
> mail attachments and samba shares to protect your users.
>
> You can run some nids/ids or honeypot to mitigate attacks on the server
>
> greets
> aL

I'm not running antivirus software anymore, but experienced
http://www.avira.com/en/index as the better choice. There still should
be a free (as in free beer) Linux version available, but I couldn't find
the link.

- Ralf

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-19-2012 07:22 AM

Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Alberto Fuentes
<alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 08:50 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> a newbie question.
>> i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop)
>> and i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am
>> using SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM *and Planning for MTA. do you
>> guys think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?
>>
>> We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
>> only. i couldn't find CLI base client.
>>
>> any help would be appropriated.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> MYK
>>

> well, for the servers dont really need antivirus protection (how many
> programs from unknow sources are you using?). You can run clamav for mail

none, i am using supporting services Ethtool, smartctl, FTPD or very
common type of utilities . thats all and of course the core
application for providing the main services like SAMBA and SQUID

> attachments and samba shares to protect your users.
>
> You can run some nids/ids or honeypot to mitigate attacks on the server

any experience advice and easy to manage nids/ids or honeypot?

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-19-2012 07:31 AM

Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 09:02 +0200, Alberto Fuentes wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 08:50 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> > a newbie question.
>> > i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop)
>> > and i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am
>> > using SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM *and Planning for MTA. do you
>> > guys think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?
>> >
>> > We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
>> > only. i couldn't find CLI base client.
>> >
>> > any help would be appropriated.
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > MYK
>> >

>> well, for the servers dont really need antivirus protection (how many
>> programs from unknow sources are you using?). You can run clamav for
>> mail attachments and samba shares to protect your users.
>>
>> You can run some nids/ids or honeypot to mitigate attacks on the server
>>
>> greets
>> aL
>
> I'm not running antivirus software anymore, but experienced
> http://www.avira.com/en/index as the better choice. There still should
> be a free (as in free beer) Linux version available, but I couldn't find
> the link.

Thanks , i'll check on this

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-19-2012 07:33 AM

Antivirus for CLI

i am not worried about client side protection because we have up to
date antivirus clients installed on every client what i am worried
about is to protect the server so virus would not effect the server
side services.
i am asking this because i believe precautionary measures before any
disaster would be a good option to choose and i am not very experience
in Linux world (Debian)

Thanks

Jude DaShiell 06-19-2012 08:26 AM

Antivirus for CLI

clamav probably will help along with clamav-milter to filter e-mail.
Lastly, nmh installed for everybody to use because you get out of mbox
format with that. If clamav finds a virus in someone's mbox file and
quarrantines that whole file they just lost all of their email. However
nmh puts each message in its own file and if clamav quarrantines those
files the user doesn't loose access to all of their e-mail just the
infected messages. Your mileage will vary. On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Muhammad

rjc 06-19-2012 08:45 AM

Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 08:33:58AM BST, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i am not worried about client side protection because we have up to
> date antivirus clients installed on every client what i am worried
> about is to protect the server so virus would not effect the server
> side services.
> i am asking this because i believe precautionary measures before any
> disaster would be a good option to choose and i am not very experience
> in Linux world (Debian)

I can wholeheartedly recommend ClamAV.

I used it a while back integrated with Squid as part of DansGuardian.

A real life example from not so long ago: it detected a Flashback [0]
trojan horse while both McAfee and Sophos failed to do so.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback

rjc

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-19-2012 04:17 PM

Antivirus for CLI

Thanks everyone :)

Camaleón 06-19-2012 04:27 PM

Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:50:23 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> a newbie question.
> i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop) and
> i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am using
> SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM and Planning for MTA. do you guys
> think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?

Yes, at least for your samba and e-mail users. They will thank you :-)

> We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
> only. i couldn't find CLI base client.
>
> any help would be appropriated.

There's ClamAV which I think it can be integrated within samba and the
MTA.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón