Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Brian

Default Antivirus for CLI

On Wed 20 Jun 2012 at 17:49:30 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

Euro 2012 is not on TV tonight. I'm at a loose end. I'll most likely
rue not getting into the garden to slaughter some slugs.

> Ralf, I asked for a specific question ("why you don't like ClamAV")

You did. It's a matter of record.

> because you said there were (sic) "several reasons" for that. If you

He did say that. It's on record too.

> don't want/can't respond, that's okay

He did respond

* ClamGUI as buggy as hell
* unable to update the database
* unable to scan some files he wanted to scan
* support not interested in bug reports, feature requests

You may not agree with the reasons but he did give them.

> but please don't make this lasts
> longer than it should.

Is there a time limit on this thread? Does it self-destruct after a
certain time? If so, I'm setting it to a minute from now.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
rjc

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:49:30PM BST, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:38:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 15:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >> I know you are very prone to divert the conversation away from the
> >> topic
> >
> > At least not for that topic.
>
> (...)
>
> Ralf, I asked for a specific question ("why you don't like ClamAV")
> because you said there were (sic) "several reasons" for that. If you
> don't want/can't respond, that's okay but please don't make this lasts
> longer than it should.

Since it doesn't add anything to the thread and is off-topic could you
kindly take this "ping-pong" off the list, please?

Ta,
--
rjc

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:41:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 17:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Ralf, I asked for a specific question ("why you don't like ClamAV")
>> because you said there were (sic) "several reasons" for that. If you
>> don't want/can't respond, that's okay but please don't make this lasts
>> longer than it should.
>
> This was my response to your request:

(...)

Ralf, I don't know why is that you don't want to give your points about
ClamAV, but saying "I don't like for several resons" and "ClamAV was
unreliable here..." without providing more data that proves the above,
well, I will have to take it as your "personal" POV and nothing more.

Of course, my experience over the years with ClamAV is completely "the
opposite" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

This might be important for the OP too:

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 20:01 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Ralf, I don't know why is that you don't want to give your points about
> ClamAV, but saying "I don't like for several resons" and "ClamAV was
> unreliable here..." without providing more data that proves the above,
> well, I will have to take it as your "personal" POV and nothing more.

Virus detection most of the times was better using AVIRA.
AVIRA was more stable and had a better for free support, perhaps AVIRA
simply had more money and a longer time experience, than Sourcefire,
dunno. Again, YMMV, it's just what I experienced. What details are
missing? I don't have statistics.
It might be that I had to protect XP users and you needed to protect
98se or Vista users and AVIRA simply had a better database for virulent
software that only attacks XP, dunno.
I didn't automate anything, just run manually from a terminal emulation.
Setting up auto-scanning for e.g. emails might be more difficult for
AVIRA, dunno, at least default settings for my needs were easier to set
up.

So if somebody asks for CLI tools, I only can mention tools I know and I
only know Clam and AVIRA, since Clam already was mentioned I mentioned
AVIRA only, but add my experiences. I can't give you more information.

Perhaps the OP is interested in your better experiences and the reasons
for that, with Clam. I don't know why AVIRA was more stable on my
machine, it simply happened and I didn't search for the reason. I only
can repeat, that bug reports were ignored by Clam and AVIRA did take
care very well.

Hth

Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

In the past I used the kernel-rt only, which really could be a big
difference to set ups using other kernels, regarding to steadiness after
upgrades.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:46:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> This might be important for the OP too:
>
> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 20:01 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Ralf, I don't know why is that you don't want to give your points about
>> ClamAV, but saying "I don't like for several resons" and "ClamAV was
>> unreliable here..." without providing more data that proves the above,
>> well, I will have to take it as your "personal" POV and nothing more.
>
> Virus detection most of the times was better using AVIRA.

That something be better for you does not make the rest "worst" nor
"unreliable" per se, that's why I asked for some facts that prove your
claims. And as I already mentioned, the only "but" for ClamAV was its
accuracy for detecting malware.

> AVIRA was more stable and had a better for free support, perhaps AVIRA
> simply had more money and a longer time experience, than Sourcefire,
> dunno. Again, YMMV, it's just what I experienced. What details are
> missing? I don't have statistics.

(...)

It's okay Ralf, but I did not ask for you experience with AVIRA (and I
would review its current licence, just in case...) nor another AV, I was
only perplexed about your comments and bad experiences with ClamAV and
I'm perplexed because I never heard neither experinced by myself for a
ClamAV behaving as bad as you mention.

Greteings,

--
Camaleón