Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 04:26 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> clamav probably will help along with clamav-milter to filter e-mail.
> Lastly, nmh installed for everybody to use because you get out of mbox
> format with that. If clamav finds a virus in someone's mbox file and
> quarrantines that whole file they just lost all of their email. However
> nmh puts each message in its own file and if clamav quarrantines those
> files the user doesn't loose access to all of their e-mail just the
> infected messages. Your mileage will vary.

I don't like clamav for several reasons, but regarding to that email
issue I suspect you're not completely right. I suspect you'll be correct
for MUAs like Thunderbird/Icedove, that probably still use 1 file for
all emails of one "folder". Kmail, Evolution and others nowadays use a
mailbox format, that use a single file for each email.

- Ralf

Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 04:26 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> clamav probably will help along with clamav-milter to filter e-mail.
>> Lastly, nmh installed for everybody to use because you get out of mbox
>> format with that. *If clamav finds a virus in someone's mbox file and
>> quarrantines that whole file they just lost all of their email. *However
>> nmh puts each message in its own file and if clamav quarrantines those
>> files the user doesn't loose access to all of their e-mail just the
>> infected messages. Your mileage will vary.
>
> I don't like clamav for several reasons, but regarding to that email
> issue I suspect you're not completely right. I suspect you'll be correct
> for MUAs like Thunderbird/Icedove, that probably still use 1 file for
> all emails of one "folder". Kmail, Evolution and others nowadays use a
> mailbox format, that use a single file for each email.
>
> - Ralf

Thanks Ralf and Camaleon for your feedback.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:20:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 04:26 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> clamav probably will help along with clamav-milter to filter e-mail.
>> Lastly, nmh installed for everybody to use because you get out of mbox
>> format with that. If clamav finds a virus in someone's mbox file and
>> quarrantines that whole file they just lost all of their email.

(...)

Well, regardless the message format in use (mbox, maildir, nmh...) you
can configure (at server level) an imap/pop3 account for every user
(e.g., "user+virus@example.com") where to direct the malware that has
been detected for that account.

OTOH I would rather stick to the usual and well-known message formats
like maildir or mbox unless I had any specific requirement for not using
them.

> I don't like clamav for several reasons,

(...)

Can you at least list "one"? :-)

The only drawback I can mention is about its accuracy (when compared to
another payware and bloatware anti-malware solutions), but for e-mail
scanning or samba it does a nice job mainly because of its perfect
integration within a linux environment.

An AV solution in linux has to be seen as an additional defense for the
windows boxes but not the only one, meaning windows users have to have
their own anti-malware software properly setup and running, either
locally of using a server based deployment.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 14:05 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:20:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 04:26 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> >> clamav probably will help along with clamav-milter to filter e-mail.
> >> Lastly, nmh installed for everybody to use because you get out of mbox
> >> format with that. If clamav finds a virus in someone's mbox file and
> >> quarrantines that whole file they just lost all of their email.
>
> (...)
>
> Well, regardless the message format in use (mbox, maildir, nmh...) you
> can configure (at server level) an imap/pop3 account for every user
> (e.g., "user+virus@example.com") where to direct the malware that has
> been detected for that account.
>
> OTOH I would rather stick to the usual and well-known message formats
> like maildir or mbox unless I had any specific requirement for not using
> them.
>
> > I don't like clamav for several reasons,
>
> (...)
>
> Can you at least list "one"? :-)
>
> The only drawback I can mention is about its accuracy (when compared to
> another payware and bloatware anti-malware solutions), but for e-mail
> scanning or samba it does a nice job mainly because of its perfect
> integration within a linux environment.
>
> An AV solution in linux has to be seen as an additional defense for the
> windows boxes but not the only one, meaning windows users have to have
> their own anti-malware software properly setup and running, either
> locally of using a server based deployment.

ClamGUI was buggy as hell, unable to update the database, unable to scan
some files I wanted to scan. The support wasn't interested in bug
reports, feature requests. Perhaps unimportant for CLI, however, even
with an updated database I had much better success using AVIRA's
antivir. AVIRA's CLI, the old and the one some years replaced this old
one, where easier to use and AVIRA was better to setup for my needs. I
manually scanned files and mails I forwarded to Windows users. The AVIRA
support was highly interested in fixing issues, such as e.g. Linux files
that accidentally where marked as virulent, adding new virulent stuff to
the database. In Germany AVIRA for Linux perhaps is more used than in
other countries. IIRC Suse added it to the repositories, I might be
wrong and it was only available by the pacman repository. Anyway, it was
easy to install from the AVIRA download and worked without any issues on
different distros I used. Clam was unreliable here, did easily brake
after upgrades.
YMMV!
Ralf

Old 06-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:02:12 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 14:05 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > I don't like clamav for several reasons,
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Can you at least list "one"? :-)
>>
>> The only drawback I can mention is about its accuracy (when compared to
>> another payware and bloatware anti-malware solutions), but for e-mail
>> scanning or samba it does a nice job mainly because of its perfect
>> integration within a linux environment.
>>
>> An AV solution in linux has to be seen as an additional defense for the
>> windows boxes but not the only one, meaning windows users have to have
>> their own anti-malware software properly setup and running, either
>> locally of using a server based deployment.
>
> ClamGUI was buggy as hell,

(...)

sm01@stt008:~$ apt-cache search clamgui
sm01@stt008:~$

No such application here or should I redefine the search?

Anyway, we are talking about CLI scanning utilities for servers, not GUI
based solutions for the clients.

Next...?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 15:15 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > ClamGUI was buggy as hell,
>
> (...)
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ apt-cache search clamgui
> sm01@stt008:~$
>
> No such application here or should I redefine the search?
>
> Anyway, we are talking about CLI scanning utilities for servers, not GUI
> based solutions for the clients.
>
> Next...?

Why did you snip what I've written about the CLI for AVIRA vs Clam, the
support, the database. Should I copy and paste it to continue ;D?

If you experienced it vice versa, than you did. If I ever should be
interested in using antivir software again, I first would try AVIRA
again, assumed it still will provide a "free" version for Linux.

I run both and compared them for my needs. Clam was less good than AVIRA
was. In Germany AVIRA was (is?) often used by Linux users, especially by
Suse users. I suspect AVIRA was the most used software for free on Linux
and Windows and even among the software that wasn't free it was the most
used here in Germany. I'm not a computer enthusiast anymore, I don't
know if it's still the same. I can ask a friend, I suspect he still has
knowledge about this.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:36:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 15:15 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > ClamGUI was buggy as hell,
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ apt-cache search clamgui sm01@stt008:~$
>>
>> No such application here or should I redefine the search?
>>
>> Anyway, we are talking about CLI scanning utilities for servers, not
>> GUI based solutions for the clients.
>>
>> Next...?
>
> Why did you snip what I've written about the CLI for AVIRA vs Clam, the
> support, the database. Should I copy and paste it to continue ;D?

(...)

Because I asked *why you don't like ClamAV* and then for your *ClamAV
problems* not Avira nor other GUI frontends and I know you are very prone
to divert the conversation away from the topic, just wanted to cut
that... ;-)

P.S. Remember I was a long time openSUSE user so I do know Avira quite
well but this is not what I asked.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Ralf Mardorf

@ the OP: If possible get different antivirus software and test what's
better regarding to your needs.

@ Camaleón:

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 15:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> I know you are very prone to divert the conversation away from the
> topic

At least not for that topic. Yes, originally I mentioned that I
preferred AVIRA to Clam, but the OP asked for CLI tools and Clam was the
only one recommended on that list, so I added AVIRA and to keep it
short, I didn't argue what is good or bad for AVIRA or Clam in the
original reply. Actually I additionally only mentioned that there
shouldn't be an issue with Clam for emails.
Then it was you, who became OT. IMO you do this much more often then I
do, while it's not annoying me.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:38:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 15:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> I know you are very prone to divert the conversation away from the
>> topic
>
> At least not for that topic.

(...)

Ralf, I asked for a specific question ("why you don't like ClamAV")
because you said there were (sic) "several reasons" for that. If you
don't want/can't respond, that's okay but please don't make this lasts
longer than it should.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 17:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Ralf, I asked for a specific question ("why you don't like ClamAV")
> because you said there were (sic) "several reasons" for that. If you
> don't want/can't respond, that's okay but please don't make this lasts
> longer than it should.

This was my response to your request: