Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Richard Owlett

Default OP delared SANE (LOL) - was

"Reply-To" set to debian <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Apologies to Mr. Bell for light hearted change of Subject

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Richard Owlett<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

What's even more annoying (ascetically) is that I can not see a way for
multiple simultaneous installs to use the same swap space. After all, only
only one install will be in use at a time.

This stood out to me reading this thread. While I may be missing some
background (I could't find any in the thread), multiple simultaneous
installs using the same swap space refers to having multiple Linux
installs simultaneously on a machine all referencing the same disk
partition for their swap space. It does not refer to them all
*running* at the same time which is, of course, impossible.

AGREE!

For example, say swap is /dev/sda6 (reasonable, it's the first logical
partition), and you have 3 different Linux installs, say Ubuntu,
Debian, and Fedora, then all 3 of these will reference /dev/sda6 as
their swap partition. Since swap is "scratch space" the content of it
only matters while it's actively in use. Once the operating system
has shut down, it can be mounted by any other booted Linux
installation and used as swap.

YEPP!

If you boot Ubuntu, /dev/sda6 will be used as swap. You then shut
down Ubuntu and boot Debian, Ubuntu releases /dev/sda6 as it's
shutting down and Debian mounts it as it's starting up. Debian is now
using /dev/sda6 as its swap partition. The same happens when you shut
down Debian and boot Fedora.

YEPP**999

If I'm missing what the issue is, forgive me, but this is the answer
to what I *think* your question is. :-)

LOL**(1./0.) [as I do not have infinity on my keyboard ;]

Instead of having Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora pesent, I wish
multiple versions of Debian. But in any case the Debian
installer seems to ignore *FACT* that there is already a
partition designated as swap.

What makes it "cruel and deviant" punishment is that it was
a previous instance of "Debian installer" which had declared
said space to be "*SWAP SPACE*" ;<

Am I missing something?

Archive: 4FDFCCCD.1020300@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FDFCCCD.1020300@cloud85.net

Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:50:21 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> LOL**(1./0.) [as I do not have infinity on my keyboard ;]

Here's a little something just for you, Richard. Keep it in a safe
place:

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 06-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Brian

On Mon 18 Jun 2012 at 19:50:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Instead of having Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora pesent, I wish multiple
> versions of Debian. But in any case the Debian installer seems to ignore
> *FACT* that there is already a partition designated as swap.

You see this designated partition on the overview screen of currently
configured partitions and mount points? Please post the line which gives
the description of the swap partition.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Richard Owlett

Brian wrote:

Instead of having Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora pesent, I wish multiple
versions of Debian. But in any case the Debian installer seems to ignore
*FACT* that there is already a partition designated as swap.

You see this designated partition on the overview screen of currently
configured partitions and mount points? Please post the line which gives
the description of the swap partition.

Did another install sequence yesterday.
This time my attempt to use existing partition was successful.

But
The new install will not accept root password. User password
is fine.

Think it's time to burn a new CD and run through an
organized pattern of installs.

Archive: 4FE315A0.9020505@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FE315A0.9020505@cloud85.net

Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:37:52AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> >On Mon 18 Jun 2012 at 19:50:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>Instead of having Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora pesent, I wish multiple
> >>versions of Debian. But in any case the Debian installer seems to ignore
> >>*FACT* that there is already a partition designated as swap.
> >
> >You see this designated partition on the overview screen of currently
> >configured partitions and mount points? Please post the line which gives
> >the description of the swap partition.
> >

> Did another install sequence yesterday.
> This time my attempt to use existing partition was successful.
>
> But
> The new install will not accept root password. User password is
> fine.

That may be intended. I don't think Debian (out of the box) allows root
to log in at all. Instead, you're expected to log in as an unprivileged
user and then 'upgrade' to root (via sudo - which takes THAT USER'S
password). If you gave root a password during install, then you should
be able to log in at a VT with root, but not via SSH/*DM etc.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Brian

On Thu 21 Jun 2012 at 13:55:49 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:37:52AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > But
> > The new install will not accept root password. User password is
> > fine.
>
> That may be intended. I don't think Debian (out of the box) allows root
> to log in at all. Instead, you're expected to log in as an unprivileged
> user and then 'upgrade' to root (via sudo - which takes THAT USER'S
> password). If you gave root a password during install, then you should
> be able to log in at a VT with root, but not via SSH/*DM etc.

The installer always presents a screen offering to set a password for
root. Leaving the entry field empty disables the root account and sudo
is installed.