Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Default Re (2): Backup system for use when Debian fails.

From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:52:11 +0000 (UTC)
> Well, that's what LiveCDs and USB sticks with a running system are aimed
> for, to be a lifesaver when your main system cannot boot or is completely
> hosed.

Yes, I'm flaunting a prejudice.

Also a spare Debian system could be kept with a policy of
"never monkey with it and with the primary system at the
same time". Older laptops are discarded like paper cups.

From: peasthope@shaw.ca
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:25:02 -0700
> ... unsophisticated and superbly reliable.

"uncomplicated" would have been better than "unsophisticated".

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:47:11 -0700, peasthope wrote:

> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:52:11 +0000 (UTC)
>> Well, that's what LiveCDs and USB sticks with a running system are
>> aimed for, to be a lifesaver when your main system cannot boot or is
>> completely hosed.
>
> Yes, I'm flaunting a prejudice.
>
> Also a spare Debian system could be kept with a policy of "never monkey
> with it and with the primary system at the same time". Older laptops
> are discarded like paper cups.

Agree.

Anyway, having a different OS can be of help when there's a problem
affecting only your main system's OS version. Despite it's a corner case,
it can also happen.

> From: peasthope@shaw.ca
> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:25:02 -0700
>> ... unsophisticated and superbly reliable.
>
> "uncomplicated" would have been better than "unsophisticated".

Don't be too picky with your own wording. At least my non-English mind
could catch the essence of the above "unsophisticated" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón