Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM
keith

Default Samba Backup Tool Preserving File Owner/Group/Permissions

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 10:41 +0300, Volkan Yazıcı wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have access to a remote Samba storage device that I don't have
> a control over the uploaded file owner/group/permissions. Hence,
> once I upload my stuff to the remote end via rsync over Samba, I
> lose all my file attributes. Could you recommend any backup tool
> that provides a solution for such scenarios? That is, is there
> any backup tools that would preserve the file attributes in a
> secondary place? Or is there any other alternate path that you
> can recommend me to take?

Perhaps if you tar (& gzip) your files before sending to your Samba
storage. (man tar).

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Volkan Yazıcı

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:09:04 +0100, keith writes:
> On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 10:41 +0300, Volkan Yazıcı wrote:
>> I have access to a remote Samba storage device that I don't have
>> a control over the uploaded file owner/group/permissions. Hence,
>> once I upload my stuff to the remote end via rsync over Samba, I
>> lose all my file attributes. Could you recommend any backup tool
>> that provides a solution for such scenarios? That is, is there
>> any backup tools that would preserve the file attributes in a
>> secondary place? Or is there any other alternate path that you
>> can recommend me to take?
>
> Perhaps if you tar (& gzip) your files before sending to your Samba
> storage. (man tar).

In such a case, AFAIK, I won't be able to take benefit of
incremental backups and I will need to tar+cp the whole disk
everytime I want to take a backup. Am I mistaken?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Dom

I have access to a remote Samba storage device that I don't have
a control over the uploaded file owner/group/permissions. Hence,
once I upload my stuff to the remote end via rsync over Samba, I
lose all my file attributes. Could you recommend any backup tool
that provides a solution for such scenarios? That is, is there
any backup tools that would preserve the file attributes in a
secondary place? Or is there any other alternate path that you
can recommend me to take?

Perhaps if you tar (& gzip) your files before sending to your Samba
storage. (man tar).

In such a case, AFAIK, I won't be able to take benefit of
incremental backups and I will need to tar+cp the whole disk
everytime I want to take a backup. Am I mistaken?

I suppose it could be possible to create a large file on the samba
share, format it as ext2/3/4 and mount it using the loop option. Then
you end up with samba just seeing a single file, but your box seeing an
extX filesystem with all the attributes.

--
Dom

Archive: 4FDF2AF6.3080402@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FDF2AF6.3080402@rpdom.net

Old 06-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Andrej Kacian

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:54:34 +0300
Volkan Yazıcı <yazicivo@ttmail.com> wrote:

> In such a case, AFAIK, I won't be able to take benefit of
> incremental backups and I will need to tar+cp the whole disk
> everytime I want to take a backup. Am I mistaken?

You could use duplicity (http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/) for
incremental backups within tar archives - and I'm sure there are other
similar tools.

Andrej

Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
keith

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 15:52 +0200, Andrej Kacian wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:54:34 +0300
> Volkan Yazıcı <yazicivo@ttmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In such a case, AFAIK, I won't be able to take benefit of
> > incremental backups and I will need to tar+cp the whole disk
> > everytime I want to take a backup. Am I mistaken?
>
> You could use duplicity (http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/) for
> incremental backups within tar archives - and I'm sure there are other
> similar tools.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Andrej

That sounds like an option. :-)

Otherwise, a script to find by date & add into the tar file may be
possible. (Not used tar for a while.)

Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:54:34 +0300, Volkan Yazıcı wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:09:04 +0100, keith writes:
>> On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 10:41 +0300, Volkan Yazıcı wrote:
>>> I have access to a remote Samba storage device that I don't have a
>>> control over the uploaded file owner/group/permissions. Hence, once I
>>> upload my stuff to the remote end via rsync over Samba, I lose all my
>>> file attributes. Could you recommend any backup tool that provides a
>>> solution for such scenarios? That is, is there any backup tools that
>>> would preserve the file attributes in a secondary place? Or is there
>>> any other alternate path that you can recommend me to take?
>>
>> Perhaps if you tar (& gzip) your files before sending to your Samba
>> storage. (man tar).
>
> In such a case, AFAIK, I won't be able to take benefit of incremental
> backups and I will need to tar+cp the whole disk everytime I want to
> take a backup. Am I mistaken?

GNU tar provides a "--listed-incremental" parameter but as I never do
incremental nor differential backups (for my $HOME I prefer to stick to
normal/full copies) I can't tell you how this works but Google can be of
much help here :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón