Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 AM

Default Configuration Design for Installation, Maintenance and Upgrades

*I would like to learn if there is a tool or method to help define what values configuration parameters should have.* I have seen short descriptions of parameters but not much as to the impact or how any values may impact other parameters.
*
It would be very hand to have an animated map that would allow the selection of a parameter and display highlights for all associated parameters.
*
I have not been able to keep all the relationships in my head, such a tool would be very helpful.
*
Is there such a thing or some other solution to managing configuration?
*
Thanks,
ray

Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Camaleón

Ray, please, no html formatted postings.. this one of yours it renders
like a pure gibberish.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Chris Davies

ray@aarden.us wrote:
> I would like to learn if there is a tool or method to help define what
> values configuration parameters should have.

To which configuration parameters are you referring? Can you provide
some examples?

Chris

Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Camaleón

(now better, thanks for removing the annoying html)

Can you rephrase that stanza? I don't get it :-?

> I have seen short descriptions of parameters but not much as to the
> impact or how any values may impact other parameters.

What values are you exactly referring to? Each program/service has their
owns.

> It would be very hand to have an animated map that would allow the
> selection of a parameter and display highlights for all associated
> parameters.

>From the command line? From a GUI? From where? Some GUIs do provide extra
information (e.g., GNOME uses F1 for help).

> I have not been able to keep all the relationships in my head, such a
> tool would be very helpful.
>
> Is there such a thing or some other solution to managing configuration?

There are various cheet sheet for specific issues (networking commands,
package manager, some applications...) but I can't recall one big-cheet-
sheet that covers all the possibilities. You can, however, google for
"linux cheet sheet" there has to be plenty of them :-)

In addition, Debian has this nice reference card:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/refcard/refcard

And a good set of docs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/index.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 AM

I am sorry, I don't know why this did not post in-thread. So here is
another try.

Chris,

I wish I knew all the configuration topics. But just to assure that I
can get a stable, usable system up and running, please see the list
below. One important aspect is that I do not know everything that can
be configured; while reading posts I keep seeing things I have never
heard of. But just to get started, here are some exclusive of packages
which I would like to cast into this later:

Configuring the System for Another Language
Configuring the Network
Setting the Hostname and Configuring the Name Service
User and Group Databases
Creating Accounts
Shell Environment
Printer Configuration
Configuring the Bootloader
Identifying the Disks
Identifying the Disks Partitions
Configuring LILO
GRUB 2 Configuration
GRUB Legacy Configuration
PyGRUM (any others)
Time Synchronization
Logs
Sharing Access

Thank you,
ray

Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Chris Davies

ray@aarden.us wrote:
> just to assure that I can get a stable, usable system up and running,
> please see the list below.

A lot of what you've listed below should have been handled
semi-automatically during installation. It's a steep learning curve,
though, I'll agree with that.

What is wrong with your system that makes you say it's neither stable
nor usable? Did you install "Stable", or some other version?

> Configuring the System for Another Language

This is usually done during installation, but it's perfectly possible
to run multiple locales (languages and timezones) on a single box. Off
the top of my head I'm not sure how you'd change these, though.

> Configuring the Network

If you're using Network Manager with DHCP then there's not really a lot
that needs to be done. If you're using a server then you could do well to
look at /etc/network/interfaces; we can help you with specific questions.

> Setting the Hostname and Configuring the Name Service

Setting the hostname is usually done during installation as it can be
found in a number of places.

Name service usually fits into network configuration

> User and Group Databases
> Creating Accounts
> Printer Configuration

You might want to take a look at "Webmin" for these (a web-based
administration tool).

> Shell Environment

I'm not sure what you mean by this

> Configuring the Bootloader
> Identifying the Disks
> Identifying the Disks Partitions
> Configuring LILO
> GRUB 2 Configuration
> GRUB Legacy Configuration

Much of this happens automatically during installation or when a relevant
part of the system is upgraded/configured.

?

> Time Synchronization

Install ntp and it will "just work" for you. If you want to tweak,
the file to consider is /etc/ntp.conf

?

> Sharing Access

NFS and SAMBA? There might be an option within Webmin (I don't use it),
but if there isn't this is a rather complex area. If you've got specific
questions I'd suggest you come back here with them.

Chris