Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Default email tail output

hi,

a newbie question:

from what i heard that mail command does not need to have mail service
running, right?

so i tried below command from my laptop just to check if i can put
similar command in crontab later then i wouldn't have to log in to a
server just to check if a process failed

$ tail /var/mail/user | mail -s "system mail on `date +%F`" user@domain.com

but the email does not arrive at user@domain.com. Is there any
possibility that the mail could be blocked because i could not find it
in mailq?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Richard Hector

On 18/06/12 14:40, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> hi,
>
> a newbie question:
>
> from what i heard that mail command does not need to have mail service
> running, right?
>
> so i tried below command from my laptop just to check if i can put
> similar command in crontab later then i wouldn't have to log in to a
> server just to check if a process failed
>
> $ tail /var/mail/user | mail -s "system mail on `date +%F`" user@domain.com
>
> but the email does not arrive at user@domain.com. Is there any
> possibility that the mail could be blocked because i could not find it
> in mailq?

I may be misunderstanding your requirements.

As I understand it, the mail command doesn't need the MTA running _at
the time_, since it just puts the message in the queue. But you'll need
to run an MTA at some point to pick it up and deliver it. If you don't
want to do that, you'll need a mail program that connects directly to a
remote SMTP server.

Richard

Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:40:27 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> from what i heard that mail command does not need to have mail service
> running, right?

Well, you need a mail routing facility available in your system or a
similar tool that can be configured to directly contact e-mail servers
(like mutt).

> so i tried below command from my laptop just to check if i can put
> similar command in crontab later then i wouldn't have to log in to a
> server just to check if a process failed
>
> $ tail /var/mail/user | mail -s "system mail on `date +%F`" user@domain.com

If you're using the default installation, look at your "/var/log/exim4/*"
logs...

> but the email does not arrive at user@domain.com. Is there any
> possibility that the mail could be blocked because i could not find it
> in mailq?

Mmm... that's hardly the reason because a mail facility is required for
any current Debian installation, I mean, most sure you have Exim4 in
place but the default Exim4 configuration is not allowed to send remote
messages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón