FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Nick Lidakis
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722

Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if there any
glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on maximum typing speed.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120618024010.GB3197@phobos
 
Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

* On 2012 17 Jun 21:42 -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
> Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722
>
> Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if there any
> glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on maximum typing speed.

I have no idea on that. I did have an 83 key model on my XT clone
wayyyyyy back when. I've since graduated to the PS/2 Model M 101 key
keyboards and don't want to give them up any time soon. Perhaps the
only advantage of the 83 key models is that the F keys are to the left
side, if that is something one is used to. Otherwise, the separate
arrow keys and other keys of the 101 key models means that the Num Lock
key can remain activated.

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120618025452.GB30383@n0nb.us">http://lists.debian.org/20120618025452.GB30383@n0nb.us
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Doug
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On 06/17/2012 10:40 PM, Nick Lidakis wrote:

Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722

Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if there any
glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on maximum typing speed.


I have a model M about 83 keys, connected to a Dell laptop thru an
adapter to USB.
The only problem I have is when I start up the Dell from an OFF state, I
have to
momentarily unplug the usb and plug it back in, or the right-hand side
of the
keyboard is not recognized. I touch type, but not ridiculously fast,
and I've

seen no delays or anything that would bother me.

(I have full-size model M keyboards on two desktop computers, with the usual
plug connectors, and they don't have to be disconnected or anything. AFAIC,
the model M is the best keyboard ever made. You can get refurbed ones from
an outfit called "Clicky Keys", I believe, but all of mine were bought
at the old
computer shows, used, off service. They all work great! I expect that
they'll

still be working great in about 2042 if some dimwit doesn't throw them out
for not having Microsoft keys, or not being black.)

A keyboard that holds a reasonable second place was called a "2000"--I don't
know who made it, bet we had them at work, back in the 90s. They didn't make
as much noise as the model M, but the touch was almost as good.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FDEA322.9070408@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FDEA322.9070408@optonline.net
 
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Doug
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On 06/17/2012 10:54 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

* On 2012 17 Jun 21:42 -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:

Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722

Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if there any
glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on maximum typing speed.

I have no idea on that. I did have an 83 key model on my XT clone
wayyyyyy back when. I've since graduated to the PS/2 Model M 101 key
keyboards and don't want to give them up any time soon. Perhaps the
only advantage of the 83 key models is that the F keys are to the left
side, if that is something one is used to. Otherwise, the separate
arrow keys and other keys of the 101 key models means that the Num Lock
key can remain activated.

- Nate>>


The model M that I mentioned in my other post at approximately 83 keys
has the function keys on top. Now I counted exactly 84 keys. The other
was a close guesstimate. It is part number 1397681.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FDEAB89.4010201@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FDEAB89.4010201@optonline.net
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

* On 2012 17 Jun 22:41 -0500, Doug wrote:
> A keyboard that holds a reasonable second place was called a "2000"--I don't
> know who made it, bet we had them at work, back in the 90s. They didn't make
> as much noise as the model M, but the touch was almost as good.

Was that the Northgate model? It had the F keys both on the left side
and along the top. I bought one in the early '90s until one of the key
switches burned out and it became junk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northgate_Computers

No model 2000 was mentioned. Seems they may have had a computer with
that model designation in the late '80s, but my memory is foggy...

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120618111711.GE30383@n0nb.us">http://lists.debian.org/20120618111711.GE30383@n0nb.us
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Aaron Toponce
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:40:10PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
> Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722
>
> Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if there any
> glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on maximum typing speed.

I had an 83-key Model M, like, 20 years ago, at the latest. I haven't seen
them personally since. However, I really missed the tactile feedback of
that keyboard, so I ended up going with a more modern Das Keyboard:
http://daskeyboard.com. 105-keys, and not quite the same, but still a solid
keyboard with the Cherry Blue keyswitches.

I know it doesn't answer your question, or address your concerns. Just
thought I'd bring it up.

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o
o o o . o . . o o o o . o o o
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Camaleón
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:40:10 -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
> Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722
>
> Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if
> there any glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on
> maximum typing speed.

Try those from Cherry with gold-contact keys (G80-3000 MX series). I love
them :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jrnh8c$kvm$16@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Dan Ritter
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:40:18PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 06/17/2012 10:40 PM, Nick Lidakis wrote:
>
> A keyboard that holds a reasonable second place was called a "2000"--I don't
> know who made it, bet we had them at work, back in the 90s. They didn't make
> as much noise as the model M, but the touch was almost as good.

You're thinking of a Focus FK2000, I think.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5414

Also good: Northgate Omnis, of various flavors.

I buy Model Ms on sight at garage sales. Not many left these
days. The Unicomp models from pckeyboard.com are very good -- I
wish they had steel plates in the bottom.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120618171205.GX2652@randomstring.org">http://lists.debian.org/20120618171205.GX2652@randomstring.org
 
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Doug
 
Default 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On 06/18/2012 07:17 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

* On 2012 17 Jun 22:41 -0500, Doug wrote:

A keyboard that holds a reasonable second place was called a "2000"--I don't
know who made it, bet we had them at work, back in the 90s. They didn't make
as much noise as the model M, but the touch was almost as good.

Was that the Northgate model? It had the F keys both on the left side
and along the top. I bought one in the early '90s until one of the key
switches burned out and it became junk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northgate_Computers

No model 2000 was mentioned. Seems they may have had a computer with
that model designation in the late '80s, but my memory is foggy...

- Nate>>


It had the function keys along the top. It was beige color, like
everything in those days, and had the standard layout, without
Microsoft keys--it antedated the special MS keys.

Does anybody know what the Scroll Lock key does?

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FDF7A37.7030600@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FDF7A37.7030600@optonline.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:52 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org