Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default MiniPCI GPS and GSM card for router

Hello,

since my appartement was transformed in a swimmingpool for 1 1/2 weeks
I have to rebuild my routers... (lost 5 for my Mobilehomes/offices)

I was using a "Sierre Wireless AirCard 860" which is quiet expensive and
require a PCMCIA slot in my router.

OK, for my Mobile-Data-Center I have found the GTM378 which support all
GSM protocols from GPRS over EGPRS, EDGE, UMTS to HSDPA of 7.2 MBit.
This card cost arround 236 Euro in germany.

Now for my other Mobilhomes/offices/workshops I want to use a cheaper
model and like to know, whether someone know MiniPCI GSM cards which
support only GPRS 56kBit and are respectively much more expensive since
I have the need for at least 12 cards. (Used cards are welcome too)

The second thing is, that I need a NMEA compatible GPS card. The one I
have currently choosen is a "GPS Engine Board NL-954M" but it cost
120 Euro which I not realy like to pay, since I need 8 of them.

Does anyone know cheaper models with preferable external antenas?

Note: Currently I do not know, whether I schould use a "Soekris
net4526", "Soekris net4826" or a "VIA EPIA LN5000EA" since
currently I have not found any routers using an ARM CPU and
offering enough MiniPCI Slots.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Bill Gatliff

Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Now for my other Mobilhomes/offices/workshops I want to use a cheaper
> model and like to know, whether someone know MiniPCI GSM cards which
> support only GPRS 56kBit and are respectively much more expensive since
> I have the need for at least 12 cards. (Used cards are welcome too)
>
> The second thing is, that I need a NMEA compatible GPS card. The one I
> have currently choosen is a "GPS Engine Board NL-954M" but it cost
> 120 Euro which I not realy like to pay, since I need 8 of them.

Do you really need so much redundant hardware?

With gpsd, you could share the GPS engine's output with all the machines
on your LAN. Likewise a GSM modem often looks like a PPP connection, so
it could be shared as well...

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com

Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Bill Gatliff

Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Note: Currently I do not know, whether I schould use a "Soekris
> net4526", "Soekris net4826" or a "VIA EPIA LN5000EA" since
> currently I have not found any routers using an ARM CPU and
> offering enough MiniPCI Slots.

What about some USB-based options? I know they're out there, but I
can't point to any part numbers right now...

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com

Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-04-10 06:39:38, schrieb Bill Gatliff:
> Do you really need so much redundant hardware?

Yes, since this "Mobile-City" will not always be together. So they have
the need to be independant.

And of course, GPRS to access mail and for an alarmsystem is enough.

> With gpsd, you could share the GPS engine's output with all the machines
> on your LAN. Likewise a GSM modem often looks like a PPP connection, so
> it could be shared as well...

The MobilOffices can be deplaced with a standard Truck and if someone
try to steal one, I am fscked since the value of a MobilOffice is NOT
under 60.000 Euro.

But of course, I do not like to wast money by installing 350 Euro GSM
and GPS Hardware in each MobileOffice where simple ones are enough...

Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-04-10 06:41:53, schrieb Bill Gatliff:
> What about some USB-based options? I know they're out there, but I
> can't point to any part numbers right now...

I know the USB one and they cost around 59 Euro in germany and I was
thinking to get MiniPCI models in the range of 60-80 Euro to build a
more compact router with integrated alarmsystem since it has its own
internal power supply with battery backup 12V/9A (=108W)...

Since the VIA EPIA LN10000EAG can go into sleep modus (consuming arround
100mW or less) and can be woke up by a GSM-Modem event...

...in case someone has stolen my MobilOffice or things equivalent.

The internal battery backup can support the power for the router for
several weeks. (only tested over 3 days with my current equipment)

Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Richard Hector

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 01:23 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> The MobilOffices can be deplaced with a standard Truck and if someone
> try to steal one, I am fscked since the value of a MobilOffice is NOT
> under 60.000 Euro.

You at least seem to have all the hardware required to track where it's
gone ... as long as you keep it hidden :-)

Richard