Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Long Wind

Default how to make monitor auto standby in full screen mode

I start xawtv and press f to enter full screen mode
the monitor can't enter standby mode after time out

I attach xorg.conf

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Darac Marjal

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 05:53:14PM -0400, Long Wind wrote:
> I start xawtv and press f to enter full screen mode
> the monitor can't enter standby mode after time out

This is probably intentional.

Most full-screen programs assume that you're going to WANT auto-standby
disabled (in this instance, you want to watch TV; how is xawtv to know
you're still watching?). As a result, they will temporarily disable
screen-blanking. Have a look at the xawtv manpage/config files and see
if there is an option for enabling this - if so, DON'T enable it

Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:53:14 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> I start xawtv and press f to enter full screen mode the monitor can't
> enter standby mode after time out
>
> I attach xorg.conf

As Daract alredy pointed out, this is a very welcomed feature for video
users who don't want their movies turn into black all of sudden (you
imagine the best scene of a movie or the key point of match game coming
up and your screen slowly dimming... it can be a real disaster) ;-)

Usually, you should be able to instruct the application to do not ignore
the power saving settings by passing a parameter from command line or
enabling that option from the configuration settings, but note that not
all the media players allow that setting to be set by the user.

Another applications only ignore the power-saving settings when run in
full screen mode so windowed mode can be a workaround.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Long Wind

Thank Darac Marjal and Camaleón!

I have not found that option in xawtv so far
I put up with an enlarged window (instead of full screen)