Old 06-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Backup system for use when Debian fails.

Hi,

This weekend I arrived home to find the Debian Squeeze system
unable to accept a login. During startup, this line appears.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd failed!

Xdm behaves as though the wrong password is given. Command
line login works but then X fails with this error.
(EE) open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory

Login with telnet on an Ethernet connection gets this
message repeatedly for about 30 s prior to the command prompt.
root@joule:/home/peter# ls -l /dev/null
Permissions are easily fixed but are back to the
wrong values after a reboot.

I'm shelving the problem for a day to two but want
to mention that my backup system in such circumstances
is ETH Native Oberon. http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/

It receives and sends email, browses the Web
sufficiently for troubleshooting the Linux system and
is unsophisticated and superbly reliable. Mentioning
it only in case others can benefit.

TTFN, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:25:02 -0700, peasthope wrote:

> This weekend I arrived home to find the Debian Squeeze system unable to
> accept a login. During startup, this line appears.
> Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd failed!

(...)

> I'm shelving the problem for a day to two but want to mention that my
> backup system in such circumstances is ETH Native Oberon.
> http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/
>
> It receives and sends email, browses the Web sufficiently for
> troubleshooting the Linux system and is unsophisticated and superbly
> reliable. Mentioning it only in case others can benefit.

Well, that's what LiveCDs and USB sticks with a running system are aimed
for, to be a lifesaver when your main system cannot boot or is completely
hosed.

The only "but" I'll say about that Oberon OS is that it will require from
extra maintenance and some learning curve and both things are not coming
for free, that is, they're time consuming while if you have an external
media with Debian loaded on it, being a well-known system, you already
know what to do within the less possible time.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón