-   -   Floppy disk output errors (was: any ideas?) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/673740-floppy-disk-output-errors-any-ideas.html)

Camaleón 06-17-2012 02:36 PM

Floppy disk output errors (was: any ideas?)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 08:29:39 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:

Next time use a more descriptive subject to catch the user's attention ;-)

> Script started on Sun 17 Jun 2012 08:26:58 AM EDT
> jude@stmarys:~$ mdir a:/
> plain_io: Input/output error
> plain_io: Input/output error
> init A: could not read boot sector
> Cannot initialize 'A:'
> jude@stmarys:~$ exit
> exit

So you have a floppy disk inserted into the drive and you can't read it.

Some questions:

1/ Does it work under windows?
2/ Can you make a raw copy for its content?
3/ How old is it?
4/ What's the output of "mdir" and "mdir a:" commands?
5/ Does it work when run as root?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Jude DaShiell 06-17-2012 02:52 PM

Floppy disk output errors (was: any ideas?)

Script started on Sun 17 Jun 2012 10:44:21 AM EDT
jude@stmarys:~$ mformat a: -f 7020
mformat: init: set default params
jude@stmarys:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Sun 17 Jun 2012 10:45:00 AM EDT
That last line is strange since I did not erase /etc/mtools.conf and
mtoolstest also reports finding the floppy drive and several others. I'm
guessing what may need doing is to copy the configuration mtoolstest
generates for the floppy into /etc/mtools.conf on a drive a: section.

Camaleón 06-17-2012 03:06 PM

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:52:19 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Script started on Sun 17 Jun 2012 10:44:21 AM EDT
> jude@stmarys:~$ mformat a: -f 7020
> mformat: init: set default params
> jude@stmarys:~$ exit
> exit

(...)

Sir, if you remove the portion of the text you are replying to we lost
the full meaning of your words ;-(

> Script done on Sun 17 Jun 2012 10:45:00 AM EDT
> That last line is strange since I did not erase /etc/mtools.conf and
> mtoolstest also reports finding the floppy drive and several others.
> I'm guessing what may need doing is to copy the configuration
> mtoolstest generates for the floppy into /etc/mtools.conf on a drive a:
> section.

How about the results of the tests I suggested? Did you try something?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón