-   -   Computer case (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/673462-computer-case.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-01-2012 05:03 AM

Computer case

Hi :)

any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
stable ;)?
Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
stability).

Regards,
Ralf

Mark Panen 06-01-2012 05:53 AM

Computer case

any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
stable ;)?
Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
stability).

Regards,
Ralf

Here are some cases which actually make Debian go faster especially the
high end ones :-)

http://www.thermaltake.com/chassis.aspx

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FC858D1.8050609@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FC858D1.8050609@gmail.com

Ralf Mardorf 06-01-2012 06:30 AM

Computer case

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 07:53 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 07:03, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
> > stable ;)?
> > Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
> > cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
> > interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
> > stability).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
> >

> Here are some cases which actually make Debian go faster especially the
> high end ones :-)
>
> http://www.thermaltake.com/chassis.aspx

Thank you,

for my taste they've got a disgusting design.
Regarding to functionality IMO the less movable parts, the less could
vibrate and make noise and the less could get broken. To much angles and
gaps, perhaps this will break shielding. Unneeded folderol
(tautology ;). Due to esthetic I also don't like folderol for my
computer, that is used as a graphic production and audio production tool
http://www.google.de/search?q=Level+10+GTS+Snow
+Edition&hl=de&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=un iv&sa=X&ei=3lzIT4WlF43zsgbFytzsDg&ved=0CLMBELAE&bi w=1152&bih=699

IMO 100,-€ is too much for a case, OTOH, if I should find a good case, I
might spend that much money.

Regards,
Ralf

"Chris" 06-01-2012 06:32 AM

Computer case

The GT Battle edition in green has my vote !

Keep well,
Chris
<><

Ralf Mardorf 06-01-2012 06:48 AM

Computer case

PS: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001220
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=WingRS
+200&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1152&b ih=662&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=3WLIT92DNszSsg bT94TxDg

Those cases seems to be consumer, gamer cases similar to the elCheapo
one I already own. The above case has got a sidewall locking mechanism
as my case has got too. If the case starts to vibrate, caused by the
HDDs, the sidewalls will make noise, since they've got a bad clearance.

I don't need extra fans and I don't want an integrated PSU.
My hardware already is silent, just the case will cause noise and
additionally fixing the cards is a PITA.

Shielding for all modern computers seems to be an issue, not caused by
the cases (only).

"Weaver" 06-01-2012 07:40 AM

Computer case

> Hi :)
>
> any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
> stable ;)?
> Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
> cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
> interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
> stability).

This is going to be my next box, to be built in the near future:

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/92735/CoolerMaster/RC-341-KKR4/details.asp

With this board which will carry 8Gb of DDR3, 1600MHz, but if you are
heavily into graphic work, you might need more than that.

Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS 760G AM3+ 2xDDR3

Along with an AM3+, 3.6GHz CPU, which will be cheaper now AMD have put out
their new line.
I like small boxes as I have enough space on an old ProReliant, next door
in a bigger room, if I need storage. MATX is fine.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Stan Hoeppner 06-01-2012 07:47 AM

Computer case

On 6/1/2012 12:03 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
> stable ;)?
> Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
> cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
> interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
> stability).

The last workstation case I acquired was one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144140

It's designed for portability (LAN parties), but I bought it because it
has fantastic front to back airflow, is dead silent, is not a mundane
minitower, and the mobo mounts horizontally, thus exp boards mount
vertically. Thus no lateral gravity load causing bending of exp boards
or tugging on a big heat pipe radiator cooler as with a minitower.

I'm using mobo video but it will take a full length GPU board. It'll
actually take 4 full length exp boards.

Overall QC isn't what one would expect for a case in this price range,
but I'm very pleased with mine.

--
Stan

Patrick Bartek 06-01-2012 07:55 AM

Computer case

>any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
>stable ;)?
>Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
>cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
>interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
>stability).

Check Rosewill. *http://www.rosewill.com/

I build this system about 6 years ago and it's still VERY quiet. *120mm case and power supply fans. Plus, a large, variable speed CPU fan. *Fanless graphics card. *The case fan blows right on it, so there's no need for its own fan. *In fact, when I first powered up the system, it was so quiet I thought it wasn't running. *And I was sitting right next to it!

Unfortunately, the case has been discontinued, but I'm sure there are others that are similar. It's an ATX mid-tower. Plenty of room.

Ralf Mardorf 06-01-2012 08:19 AM

Computer case

Hi all, hi Patrick,

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 00:55 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Unfortunately, the case has been discontinued

When I visit people and note that they've got good cases, I usually
don't have the money to order a case. As soon as I've got the money, the
case I wish to order always has been discontinued :D.

Anyway, I appreciate recommendations, to see what cases are used by the
list members, perhaps I missed something I should take care about.

I'll take a look at all recommendations, even if the cases should ship
with something that IMO is folderol, since I might be mistaken with my
opinion.

Regards,
Ralf

Mark Neidorff 06-01-2012 10:52 AM

Computer case

On Friday 01 June 2012 1:03:15 am Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> any recommendation for a computer case that can be used with Debian
> stable ;)?
> Ok, it's slightly OT, I'm sorry for that. However, experiences with
> cases regarding to noise (and heat), accuracy of fit for cards are
> interesting for me, others might be interested in space (and vertical
> stability).
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Hello,

Choosing a computer case is a design decision. First, thing, choose what is
most important for you. Here are some suggestions (in no particular order):

Style of case
Air flow
noise
physical size of case
color
type of power supply accommodated
placement of switches
drive bays (number, type and placement)
size and type of motherboard/cpu/cooler accommodated
size and type of video and cooler (if needed) accommodated

The great case could be anything from an Altoids tin for a RaspberryPi (well,
it won't quite work without some mods, but this is a theoretical discussion
anyway) to some of the large cases mentioned in some of the responses. They
all will work with Debian.

Mark