-   -   Intel 82830 in motion computing slate (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/672922-intel-82830-motion-computing-slate.html)

Michael Aldridge 05-31-2012 02:50 AM

Intel 82830 in motion computing slate

I am working with a motion computing m1200 series slate computer which uses the intel 82830 graphics card. *I have tried the following things to make it work
disable KMS
use VESAmanually generate the xorg.conf file and mess with itgenerally reinstall and see if it automagically configures
I should point out that this computer had a fully functioning windows install on it that was having no trouble working with graphics.

I started off by installing just the debian 6 shell and confirming that I could get as far as a text console. *This bit worked and I was able to update as well as install the xserver-xorg package. *I then installed kde as my window manager of choice, and installed xinit in order to start X a bit easier. *Now is where the fun part begins. *Upon discovering that I could not start X, I tried the methods above.

Disabling KMS had no effect, either in the i915 file or at the boot options line. *Using the VESA driver failed due to a bit depth issue which was uncorrectable due to the next issue. *When trying to manually generate the xorg.conf file, I am given the message that the*number*of created screens does not *match the number of detected devices. *Lastly the reinstall of X, and KDE failed to solve the issue. *I have installed the latest version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver yet still nothing behaves as it should.

I know just enough about the command line to be dangerous, and so it is*entirely*possible that*somewhere, I missed a step in installing packages.All help is appreciated.

Stan Hoeppner 05-31-2012 03:53 AM

On 5/30/2012 9:50 PM, Michael Aldridge wrote:
> I am working with a motion computing m1200 series slate computer which uses
> the intel 82830 graphics card. I have tried the following things to make
> it work
>
> disable KMS
> use VESA
> manually generate the xorg.conf file and mess with it
> generally reinstall and see if it automagically configures
>
> I should point out that this computer had a fully functioning windows
> install on it that was having no trouble working with graphics.
>
> I started off by installing just the debian 6 shell and confirming that I
> could get as far as a text console. This bit worked and I was able to
> update as well as install the xserver-xorg package. I then installed kde
> as my window manager of choice, and installed xinit in order to start X a
> bit easier. Now is where the fun part begins. Upon discovering that I
> could not start X, I tried the methods above.
>
> Disabling KMS had no effect, either in the i915 file or at the boot options
> line. Using the VESA driver failed due to a bit depth issue which was
> uncorrectable due to the next issue. When trying to manually generate the
> xorg.conf file, I am given the message that the number of created screens
> does not match the number of detected devices. Lastly the reinstall of X,
> and KDE failed to solve the issue. I have installed the latest version of
> the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver yet still nothing behaves as it should.
>
> I know just enough about the command line to be dangerous, and so it
> is entirely possible that somewhere, I missed a step in installing packages.
> All help is appreciated.

Have you read:

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2010/02/intel-82830-cgc-830m-graphics.html

It's a little old, 2010, but may offer you some helpful ideas.

--
Stan

Stan Hoeppner 05-31-2012 09:55 PM

On 5/31/2012 12:10 PM, Michael Aldridge wrote:
> I went ahead and retried disabling mode setting with grub, but still no graphics. I am correct in thinking that it should be on tty6 right? the KDM definitely thinks it is running, but I can't seem to find it.

Please reply to the list or reply to all. Others on the list have far
more experience with this than me. I simply was the first to reply.

--
Stan

Michael Aldridge 05-31-2012 11:44 PM

Intel 82830 in motion computing slate

I got it working but I have no idea how. After a couple of reboots it started working...