Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Re (4): Dying Iceweasel.

From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 20:28:29 +0000 (UTC)
> You know that Debian released versions do not get updates for their
> programs ... Iceweasel and Icedove ... live in a "special" repository (backports).

The 3.5 Icedove must have been the best choice when Squeeze was frozen.

By the way, the header in your reply doesn't have an In-reply-to field.
Not that it should be needed; being redundant to the last id of the
References. That is sufficient for the debian list manager to make the
thread.

Regards, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 30 May 2012 14:42:44 -0800, peter wrote:

> From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 20:28:29 +0000 (UTC)
>> You know that Debian released versions do not get updates for their
>> programs ... Iceweasel and Icedove ... live in a "special" repository
>> (backports).
>
> The 3.5 Icedove must have been the best choice when Squeeze was frozen.

Yes, Squeeze (6.0.5) included iceweasel 3.5.16.

> By the way, the header in your reply doesn't have an In-reply-to field.
> Not that it should be needed; being redundant to the last id of the
> References. That is sufficient for the debian list manager to make the
> thread.

Mmm, yes, you're right. Let's see how this post goes out (I've just
tweaked a setting within Pan).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM

From: Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:38:49 +0200
> RFC 2047 for encoding non ascii in email headers.

Thanks David. I'll have to investigate, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:17:02 -0800, peasthope wrote:

(...)

>> People who is interested in the Enterprise based version will know
>
> What about the other 90 or 99% who just want a working browser?

That they stick to the default browser (e.g., Epiphany)?

>> I was referring to the latest version of the stable branch, of course
>> (release).
>
> Sorry, I read "latest" in the mathematical sense.

Well, maths are not usually confronted with common sense: if you see
several versions available and you don't know what they are, you can ask
before blindly installing one of them :-)

>> Also, compare this output with the one provided by apt-get.
>
> root@dalton:/etc/apt# apt-get upgrade Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> root@dalton:/etc/apt#

Uh? Nothing? What a surprise :-?

> So until the next system upgrade, use apt-get rather than aptitude.

Well, I would be also interested in deciphering aptitude logic but to be
sincere, I'm not an aptitude user, I always go with apt-get, I find it to
be more clear and comprensible...

> http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel#How_to_install_Iceweasel_.28Firefox.29
> instructed to install the Debian release. I've modified the text to
> suggest the backport. The page might bear further improvements, if
> anyone is interested.

Nice.

But I still prefer to get the packages directly from Mozilla site,
they're always up-to-date and easy to install (but don't put this in the
wiki or you'll be prosecuted -just joking :-P-).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM

From: <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:20:25 +0000 (UTC)
> You mean the hex code, right?

Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeric_character_reference#Example

> People who is interested in the Enterprise based version will know

What about the other 90 or 99% who just want a working browser?

> ??

I quoted directly from an earlier message.

> ... from where rock are you coming from? ;-P

My cave is wood. Rock would be nice but I can't afford it.

> I was referring to the latest version of the stable branch, of course
> (release).

Sorry, I read "latest" in the mathematical sense.

> There has to be a detailed report you can read explaining it,
> can't you find it?

If it turns up, will post it.

> Also, compare this output with the one provided by apt-get.

root@dalton:/etc/apt# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
root@dalton:/etc/apt#

So until the next system upgrade, use apt-get rather than aptitude.

http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel#How_to_install_Iceweasel_.28Firefox.29
instructed to install the Debian release. I've modified
the text to suggest the backport. The page might bear
further improvements, if anyone is interested.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "