Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Re (3): Dying Iceweasel.

From: Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 14:51:49 +0000 (UTC)
> So now both are using 12.0, that's good but... is still crashing?

The desktop machine is OK. Hopefully the Toshiba Armada is
also. Not sure yet. As mentioned it is about 40 km from
here and I don't have graphical remote access.

> What do you mean?

Well if http://mozilla.debian.net/ gives 12 why does Debian
Squeeze give only 3.5? Is no version later than 3.5 suitable
for the Squeeze repository?

> Ensure that you're always running the latest Iceweasel
> (or Firefox) version available and that's all.

Yes.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:10:36 -0800, peter wrote:

>> What do you mean?
>
> Well if http://mozilla.debian.net/ gives 12 why does Debian Squeeze give
> only 3.5? Is no version later than 3.5 suitable for the Squeeze
> repository?

You know that Debian released versions do not get updates for their
programs (unless security patches or major improvements) thus Mozilla
products -with the new rapid update cycle- had to follow a different
path, at least for Iceweasel and Icedove, and that's why they live in a
"special" repository (backports). But this has been so since a bunch of
years :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:59:34 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From: noelamac@gmail.com
> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:26:49 +0000 (UTC)
>>> From: Cam..&#xF3;..
>
> That's the HTML numeric reference to miniscule oacute.

You mean the hex code, right?

But why your MUA renders as such?

>> It seems your Oberon Mail does not like accented characters ...
>
> According to IETF standards, how should characters beyond basic ASCII be
> handled? The mailer has some elementary settings which I might adjust
> to make accented Roman characters work directly.

Oberon Email does not support ISO nor UTF-8 character encoding? Wow.

>> As I already pointed, esr is for the enterprise version ...
>
> Who would know the esr acronym? Another bit of wiki.debian.org in need
> of fixing.

People who is interested in the Enterprise based version will know ;-)

Besides, Google is always of help.

>> ... update your Iceweasel (and your flash player plugin) to the lastest
>> version available, ...

??

> Yes. I chose aurora. By the way, everyone else in the world would call
> it alpha. I wonder why Debian chose "aurora".

Aurora is the codename that Mozilla uses for this version... from where rock
are you coming from? ;-P

>> Are you sure you selected the right version?
>
> No. I merely chose the latest as you instructed.

??

I don't remember to have said "aurora" :-)

I was referring to the latest version of the stable branch, of course
(release).

>> ... please send the output of what you get when using aptitude
>> interactively? :-?
>
> root@dalton:/etc/apt# aptitude
> [1(1)/...] Suggest 13 removals

(...)

What suggests those removals? Is there no more info?

> -- Remove the following packages:
> empathy [2.30.3-1 (now, stable)]
> icedove [3.0.11-1+squeeze10 (now, stable)]
> iceweasel [10.0.5esr-1~bpo60+1 (now, squeeze-backports)]
> libcamel1.2-14 [2.30.3-2+squeeze1 (now, stable)]
> libebook1.2-9 [2.30.3-2+squeeze1 (now, stable)]
> libedataserver1.2-13 [2.30.3-2+squeeze1 (now, stable)]
> libmozjs2d [1.9.1.16-16 (now, stable)]
> libnspr4-0d [4.8.6-1 (now, stable)]

I don't see any compelling reason on why aptitude suggests to remove those
packages. There has to be a detailed report you can read explaining it,
can't you find it? Also, compare this output with the one provided by apt-get.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 PM

That's the HTML numeric reference to miniscule oacute.

> It seems your Oberon Mail does not like accented characters ...

According to IETF standards, how should characters beyond
basic ASCII be handled? The mailer has some elementary
settings which I might adjust to make accented Roman characters
work directly.

> As I already pointed, esr is for the enterprise version ...

Who would know the esr acronym? Another bit of wiki.debian.org
in need of fixing.

> ... update your Iceweasel (and your flash player plugin) to the lastest
> version available, ...

Yes. I chose aurora. By the way, everyone else in the world
would call it alpha. I wonder why Debian chose "aurora".

> Are you sure you selected the right version?

No. I merely chose the latest as you instructed.

> ... please send the output of what you
> get when using aptitude interactively? :-?

root@dalton:/etc/apt# aptitude
[1(1)/...] Suggest 13 removals
e: Examine !: Apply .: Next ,: Previous

<E> <Enter>

Actions Undo Package Resolver Search Options Views Help
C-T: Menu ?: Help q: Quit u: Update g: Download/Install/Remove Pkgs
Packages Resolve Dependencies
-- Remove the following packages:
empathy [2.30.3-1 (now, stable)]
icedove [3.0.11-1+squeeze10 (now, stable)]
iceweasel [10.0.5esr-1~bpo60+1 (now, squeeze-backports)]
libcamel1.2-14 [2.30.3-2+squeeze1 (now, stable)]
libebook1.2-9 [2.30.3-2+squeeze1 (now, stable)]
libedataserver1.2-13 [2.30.3-2+squeeze1 (now, stable)]
libmozjs2d [1.9.1.16-16 (now, stable)]
libnspr4-0d [4.8.6-1 (now, stable)]

[1(1)/...] Suggest 13 removals
e: Examine !: Apply .: Next ,: Previous

<Q> <Q> <RightArrow> <Enter>

root@dalton:/etc/apt#

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox#Extended_Support_Release

Thanks and thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Postscript

From: <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:26:49 +0000 (UTC)
> There shouldn't be any conflicts between the security updates when using
> the backports repository...

No /etc/apt/preferences here. Could that help?

TTFN, ... P.
Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:40:37 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> Postscript
>
> From: <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:26:49 +0000 (UTC)
>> There shouldn't be any conflicts between the security updates when
>> using the backports repository...
>
> No /etc/apt/preferences here. Could that help?

Can't tell... there should be no need for you tweak that file unless you
are playing with testing/sid standard repositories along with stable's :-?

Anyway, I think priorities "per se" should not enforce the removal of a
package, there has to be another reason for aptitute telling you about
removing 13 packages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón