Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default reStructured Text real world usage

Hey Everyone,

Inspired by the easy to use wiki syntax, I've been looking around for similar markups that allow for basic "rich text" output.

The most promising markup I came across is reStructured Text. It is quite straightforward to use and seems like it can output to pretty much anything out there. It is also implemented in Python I think, which I am quite familiar with, so that's a plus.

Now, the situation is, I write a lot of notes in class on my laptop. I pretty much just use Vim and just type it out. More recently, I have been following a sort of Wiki style syntax. e.g.

== January 22, 2008 ==

* Writing Testbenches Using SystemVerilog, Janick Bergeron

=== Interesting Reading ===

* Thomas L. Friedman "The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century,"

=== Course Policy ===

* First Midterm on Tuesday, March 11

Now, when I print this out...it is just as is. Sometimes I have some code written and I want it all "pretty printed" with the heading, italics, etc.

It looks like reStructured Text will do the job.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys use?

Thanks,
amit