Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Tom H

Default Where is GRUB2's pointer to LVM LV / filesystem containing /boot?

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Dan B. <danb@kempt.net> wrote:

> I think I want to move /boot to the RAID1 array I originally intended
> for it (so that booting into GRUB2 depends only on the /boot RAID1
> array, and not also on the integrity of my LVM volumes).
>

> After I copy/move /boot to the RAID1 array,
> 1. how do I tell GRUB2 to look in the new place? and
> 2. how do I see the setting in the bios_grub partition (or wherever)
> * to try to confirm that I got things right before I reboot and
> * hope GRUB2 and my system boot back up?

It should be straightforward. Move "/boot" to a separate array, mount
it, add it to "/etc/fstab", run "grub-install /dev/sdX and
"grub-install /dev/sdY" where these two disks correspond to the raid
components, run "update-grub", and check that the UUID on the "set
root ..." line in "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" corresponds to the UUID of
your new "/boot".

(You can also check that the raid and lvm modules are loaded and that
the "root ..." argument points to the "/" lvm.)