Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Brian

Default Installing Debian on Acer Aspire One

On Mon 28 May 2012 at 00:22:51 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:

[Snipped: Information about an Acer Aspire One]

> Anybody knows how can I install Debian from scratch?

I would disagree with the advice given in the sentence beginning 'As the
Installation Manual states: . . .'

Read section 4.3.1. at

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en

and put an iso on a USB stick. You have a Linux machine to do this, I
hope.

If non-free firmware is required download a suitable tarball from

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/

and extract the files from it on to a USB stick.

Boot the machine from the first stick.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Lisi

On Monday 28 May 2012 00:02:31 Brian wrote:
> I would disagree with the advice given in the sentence beginning 'As the
> Installation Manual states: . . .'
>
> Read section 4.3.1. at
>
> ********http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en
>
> and put an iso on a USB stick. You have a Linux machine to do this, I
> hope.

I have recently installed Debian Squeeze on an Acer Aspire One (a ZG5) from a
CD on an external optical drive.

I had a hardware Internet connection (cat 5e) so did not have to sort out the
wireless until after I had finished the installation.

Lisi

Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
José Luis Segura Lucas

I don't have any network problems... I have a ethernet connection too.
My problem is that the Sid installer didn't recognize my hard disk...
something estrange, because I have Debian Sid installed on that laptop
for a long time...

--
José Luis Segura Lucas

Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM
José Luis Segura Lucas

Well, I will give a try using only the ISO and forgetting about the
boot.img.gz.

If it still fails, I will try with testing and, finally, with stable...

Thanks both of you for your attention :-)

Old 05-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:22:51 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:

> I'm trying to re-install my Debian on this laptop (an Acer Aspire One)
> to use it as a server.
>
> I just tried this wiki [1] and I can't get it working at all (I
> substituted the older and non-existing files for newer ones and Debian
> 5.0.5 netinstall by a actual testing one. Result: after selecting the
> USB drive on the BIOS, a permanent black screen with its little blinking
> cursor.

You mean you're installing an hybrid ISO image from an external USB flash
and it fails to boot from there? How did you create the USB disk? Steps
are detailed here:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

> After that, I configure my desktop with a DHCP server to try a PXE
> installation: I get the Debian Installer working: I was able to select
> the language, country, Debian repository... but it cannot detect my hard
> disk (d-i asks me for the driver of my non-detected HDD, which I don't
> know).

(...)

A driver for a hard disk? What kind of hdd it has, regular hdd
(mechanical) or SSD? Is there something of interest at the debug console?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM
José Luis Segura Lucas

El 28/05/12 18:24, Camaleón escribió:
> On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:22:51 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
>
> You mean you're installing an hybrid ISO image from an external USB flash
> and it fails to boot from there? How did you create the USB disk? Steps
> are detailed here:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid
I don't know if it's called hybrid or not... I just follow the steps on
the link in my previous e-mail.
> A driver for a hard disk? What kind of hdd it has, regular hdd
> (mechanical) or SSD? Is there something of interest at the debug console?
>
> Greetings,

It's a normal SATA HDD. I never had this problem before with any HDD I
have had.

I'm currently following the steps on Brian's response. I will keep you
informed :-)

Br

--
José Luis Segura Lucas

Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 28 May 2012 18:52:22 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:

> El 28/05/12 18:24, Camaleón escribió:
>> On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:22:51 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
>>
>> You mean you're installing an hybrid ISO image from an external USB
>> flash and it fails to boot from there? How did you create the USB disk?
>> Steps are detailed here:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

> I don't know if it's called hybrid or not... I just follow the steps on
> the link in my previous e-mail.

Those steps could be now outdated.

>> A driver for a hard disk? What kind of hdd it has, regular hdd
>> (mechanical) or SSD? Is there something of interest at the debug
>> console?
>>
> It's a normal SATA HDD. I never had this problem before with any HDD I
> have had.

Yup, neither do I. That's why jumping to the debug console can give you
an idea on what the problem could be.

> I'm currently following the steps on Brian's response. I will keep you
> informed :-)

Okay, keep us updated.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Brian

On Mon 28 May 2012 at 18:52:22 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:

> El 28/05/12 18:24, Camaleón escribió:
> > On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:22:51 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
> >
> > You mean you're installing an hybrid ISO image from an external USB flash
> > and it fails to boot from there? How did you create the USB disk? Steps
> > are detailed here:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid
>
> I don't know if it's called hybrid or not... I just follow the steps on
> the link in my previous e-mail.

Just so you do not get confused: the wiki page

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne#Preparing_the_USB_flash_drive

was written before isohybrid isos became standard in Debian. An
isohybrid image can be written directly to a USB device, making the
section 'Creating a USB flash boot drive' outdated. The link to the
Installation Manual is also to a version which has been replaced.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM
José Luis Segura Lucas

El 28/05/12 19:12, Brian escribió:
> Just so you do not get confused: the wiki page
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne#Preparing_the_USB_flash_drive
>
> was written before isohybrid isos became standard in Debian. An
> isohybrid image can be written directly to a USB device, making the
> section 'Creating a USB flash boot drive' outdated. The link to the
> Installation Manual is also to a version which has been replaced.
I have move a step forward: I used the testing netinstall ISO, copied to my memory stick using "cat image.iso > /dev/sdX". The installation is able to recognize my HDD now :-) Great news... but it is still failing.

After partitioning the HDD, the Debian base system could be installed, but I get an error about installing busybox from the CD-ROM (I imagine that it refers to the memory stick).

I will try with an "expert installation": I hope to be able to configure APT online repositories before busybox is tried to be installed.

Keep you informed :-)

--
José Luis Segura Lucas

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Brian

On Tue 29 May 2012 at 07:52:21 +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:

> I have move a step forward: I used the testing netinstall ISO, copied
> to my memory stick using "cat image.iso > /dev/sdX". The installation
> is able to recognize my HDD now :-) Great news... but it is still
> failing.
>
> After partitioning the HDD, the Debian base system could be installed,
> but I get an error about installing busybox from the CD-ROM (I imagine
> that it refers to the memory stick).

Is it anything like

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=627488 ?

A stable businesscard iso from the CD section on this page:

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

allows testing to be installed and should avoid the busybox problem.