Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
"Ernst Doubt"

Default intel 3945 wireless

I have sid running, but so far no luck with successfully connecting to an access point (though I seem to be close).* I had tried previously with ipw3945 but never gotten everything right, so now I'm giving iwl3945 a try instead.

I inadvertently proved that the hardware is perfectly capable of working when at a friend's suggestion, I booted up ubuntu 7.10 (from a live CD) and was able to successfully connect (using iwconfig to specify an open essid, then adding a dhcp line to /etc/network/interfaces for eth1 and executing "ifup eth1" to bring it up).* On debian I seem (possibly) to be flumoxed by the lack of software support for enabling the "Kill switch"* (when booted into the working ubuntu the wireless led does flash with activity -- under debian, it never lights up).

When I hit "Fn-F2" to try to turn the wireless device on or off (like I can when I'm booted into XP), I see the following in syslog (no matter how many times I try):

Apr* 9 18:33:52 delete kernel: iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:

Apr* 9 18:33:52 delete kernel: Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.
Apr* 9 18:33:52 delete kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
Apr* 9 18:33:52 delete kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known.

Apr* 9 18:33:54 delete kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
Apr* 9 18:33:54 delete kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known.
Apr* 9 18:33:56 delete kernel: iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:

Apr* 9 18:33:56 delete kernel: Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.
Apr* 9 18:33:56 delete kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
Apr* 9 18:33:56 delete kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known.

Any body have any clue what value of <keycode> might possibly succeed?** (for the record I did google it and tried 172 but while that made the atkbd.c messages disappear, it doesn't appear to have enabled the wireless)

Under debian eth0 is my wired card.* I also have eth2 and wlan0_rename which both appear to be my 3945ABG device (same MAC address), but the wlan0_rename device seems to respond correctly to iwconfig and iwlist commands (other than the fact that the radio on the device appears to be turned off).

Any hints on what more needs to be tweaked to succeed here?* Or alternate choices? I'm certainly willing to play with ipw instead of iwl drivers if someone's got a complete recipe.

I'm not a wireless guru, so it's possible I'm missing some 80211-related packages (or something else that's required?).** I'm currently having the best luck with the 2.6.24-1-686 debian-packaged kernel and I do also have:

*ieee80211-modules-2.6-686******************* 1.1.14-1
*firmware-iwlwifi**************************** 0.10

Here's the relevant part of my dmesg:

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:0c:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:0c:00.0 to 64
iwl3945: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.3[b] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
iwl3945: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels

phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-3945-rs'
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.2, id: 0xfa0b1, caps: 0xa44713/0x200000
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /class/input/input6
udev: renamed network interface wmaster0 to eth2

Adding 1951856k swap on /dev/sda8.* Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1951856k
EXT3 FS on sda11, internal journal
loop: module loaded
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13

ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>

I'll happily provide more data/config settings/whatever is requested.

*** thx much in advance,
************* -ed

Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Ernst Doubt wrote:

> Any hints on what more needs to be tweaked to succeed here? Or alternate
> choices? I'm certainly willing to play with ipw instead of iwl drivers if
> someone's got a complete recipe.

See if this post on my blog helps
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/2008/03/accessing-wpa-wireless-networks.html

<history> I recently went through the configuration of intel 3945 wireless
card on Dell Inspiron E1505 running Debian Etch. It was a bit frustrating
that the documentation on configuring wireless connections is not well
organized. Instead the information is scattered all around the place. So I
wrote up the steps I followed. It might be a bit specific to my
configuration (I am using a router in between my computer and the ISP). But
nevertheless it might give you something to tinker with.</history>

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Dominique Dumont

"Ernst Doubt" <calloquillick@gmail.com> writes:

> I have sid running, but so far no luck with successfully connecting
> to an access point (though I seem to be close). I had tried
> previously with ipw3945 but never gotten everything right, so now
> I'm giving iwl3945 a try instead.

This may be a good starting point:
http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 11 Apr 2008, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> "Ernst Doubt" <calloquillick@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have sid running, but so far no luck with successfully connecting
> > to an access point (though I seem to be close). I had tried
> > previously with ipw3945 but never gotten everything right, so now
> > I'm giving iwl3945 a try instead.
>
> This may be a good starting point:
> http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
>
> HTH

Good luck! It didn't work for me on my Thinkpad Z61M. IPW3945 does
work but it's only available up to kernel 2.6.23.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
on-line books and sceptical articles)