Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default OT Seach for Elaborate Address Book Program

I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind of
order. Notes include names and associated information - addresses,
phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens' names, boat
names, birthdays, misc information.

An elaborate address book? An apt-cache search addressbook found
several programs. rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
there was an installation problem:

Unpacking replacement rubrica ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
WARNING: failed to parse type name `boolean'
WARNING: invalid or missing type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/load_files)
WARNING: no <list_type> specified for schema of type list
WARNING: invalid or missing list_type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files)
WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files', locale `C': Schema specifies type list but doesn't specify the type of the list elements
Setting up rubrica (2.0-1.2) ...
Processing triggers for menu ...

it wont work.

Any suggestions of other programs to consider?

Tom

Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:39:08 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind of
> order. Notes include names and associated information - addresses,
> phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens' names, boat
> names, birthdays, misc information.
>
> An elaborate address book? An apt-cache search addressbook found
> several programs. rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
> there was an installation problem:
>
> Unpacking replacement rubrica ...
(...)
> WARNING: failed to parse type name `boolean'
> WARNING: invalid or missing type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/load_files)
> WARNING: no <list_type> specified for schema of type list
> WARNING: invalid or missing list_type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files)
> WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files',
> locale `C': Schema specifies type list but doesn't specify the type of
> the list elements Setting up rubrica (2.0-1.2) ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
>
> it wont work.

It "won't" work or it "does not" work? I mean, despite the warning, can
you run the application? :-?

> Any suggestions of other programs to consider?

I use Thunderbird's addressbook to manage my contacts which can easily
handled (importing/exporting) by means of LDIF format. But if search for
a standalone application, how about "dlume"? Although I can't find the
site of the project, maybe it has been discontinued? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 04:17:52PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:39:08 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind of
> > order. Notes include names and associated information - addresses,
> > phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens' names, boat
> > names, birthdays, misc information.
> >
> > An elaborate address book? An apt-cache search addressbook found
> > several programs. rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
> > there was an installation problem:
> >
> > Unpacking replacement rubrica ...
> (...)
> > WARNING: failed to parse type name `boolean'
> > WARNING: invalid or missing type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/load_files)
> > WARNING: no <list_type> specified for schema of type list
> > WARNING: invalid or missing list_type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files)
> > WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files',
> > locale `C': Schema specifies type list but doesn't specify the type of
> > the list elements Setting up rubrica (2.0-1.2) ...
> > Processing triggers for menu ...
> >
> > it wont work.
>
> It "won't" work or it "does not" work? I mean, despite the warning, can
> you run the application? :-?

I meant the application will not run.

> > Any suggestions of other programs to consider?
>
> I use Thunderbird's addressbook to manage my contacts which can easily
> handled (importing/exporting) by means of LDIF format. But if search for
> a standalone application, how about "dlume"? Although I can't find the
> site of the project, maybe it has been discontinued? :-?

I did checkout dlume which has multiple fields for phone numbers, email
addresses and url's but much of my information would have to be dumped
in the notes field.

Tom

Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
keith

"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind of
> order. Notes include names and associated information - addresses,
> phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens' names, boat
> names, birthdays, misc information.
>
> An elaborate address book? An apt-cache search addressbook found
> several programs. rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
> there was an installation problem:
[...]
> Any suggestions of other programs to consider?
>
> Tom

Maybe just use sqlite3, it's not that hard.
(A commandline program)

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>

Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 PM
"J.A. de Vries"

On 2012-05-25 17:39, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind of
> order. Notes include names and associated information - addresses,
> phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens' names, boat
> names, birthdays, misc information.
>
> An elaborate address book? An apt-cache search addressbook found
> several programs. rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
> there was an installation problem:
>
> Unpacking replacement rubrica ...
> Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
> WARNING: failed to parse type name `boolean'
> WARNING: invalid or missing type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/load_files)
> WARNING: no <list_type> specified for schema of type list
> WARNING: invalid or missing list_type for schema (/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files)
> WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/rubrica2/file/files', locale `C': Schema specifies type list but doesn't specify the type of the list elements
> Setting up rubrica (2.0-1.2) ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
>
> it wont work.
>
> Any suggestions of other programs to consider?
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

I use Thunderbird. The built-in addressbook amounts to not much, but
with the extension "More Functions for Addressbook" you get a whole load
more functionality. Next to the standard 4 custom fields you get 10
extra fields to use as you want and a whole set of additional e-mail
fields. It will also greatly improve support for vCards, which is at a
bare minimum without this extension.

Kaddressbook used to be good too, but with the transition to Akonadi
things have gone down the drain (at least as far as my usage scenario is
concerned).

Another option could be to use something like LibreOffice Base, Kexi, or
Glom to make it yourself. Those applications are somewhat like MS
Access, so you wouldn't have to go down the road of programming it
yourself from scratch.

On the other hand Lazarus (a Delphi-like GUI Builder on top of Free
Pascal) has a fully functional example of an addressbook, which you
could easily adapt to your own needs, if you would prefer to write it
yourself and are familiar with Pascal.

Grx HdV

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:45:26 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 04:17:52PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:39:08 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>
>> > I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind
>> > of order. Notes include names and associated information -
>> > addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens'
>> > names, boat names, birthdays, misc information.
>> >
>> > An elaborate address book? An apt-cache search addressbook found
>> > several programs. rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
>> > there was an installation problem:
>> >
>> > Unpacking replacement rubrica ...
(...)
>> > it wont work.
>>
>> It "won't" work or it "does not" work? I mean, despite the warning, can
>> you run the application? :-?
>>
> I meant the application will not run.

What's the output when you launch it from command line? If it does not
work, you can report it.

>> > Any suggestions of other programs to consider?
>>
>> I use Thunderbird's addressbook to manage my contacts which can easily
>> handled (importing/exporting) by means of LDIF format. But if search
>> for a standalone application, how about "dlume"? Although I can't find
>> the site of the project, maybe it has been discontinued? :-?
>>
> I did checkout dlume which has multiple fields for phone numbers, email
> addresses and url's but much of my information would have to be dumped
> in the notes field.

Address books are not usually well suited for "extended" notes (even
Thunderbird's has a "small" notes field), well... Oulook did a good job
in this regard :-)

Anyway, beyond the integrated address books of the big PIM managers
(Thunderbird, Evolution and Kmail) I don't know of any standalone, off-
line and GUI based application though I would like to see a java-based
one...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wrote several large programs in
Pascal ten years ago but nothing since then. I'll take a quick look to
see if it all comes back to me, otherwise I'll check out the other
suggestions. The appeal of programming is the ability to add features
as they occur to me in the future.

Tom

Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 09:35:56AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions. I wrote several large programs in
> Pascal ten years ago but nothing since then. I'll take a quick look to
> see if it all comes back to me, otherwise I'll check out the other
> suggestions. The appeal of programming is the ability to add features
> as they occur to me in the future.

Have you had a look at abook for a starting point. Or when you say
elaborate, do you mean heaps of eye candy?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 26 May 2012 09:35:56 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions. I wrote several large programs in
> Pascal ten years ago but nothing since then. I'll take a quick look to
> see if it all comes back to me, otherwise I'll check out the other
> suggestions. The appeal of programming is the ability to add features
> as they occur to me in the future.

By means of Linux Magazine¹ I just have read about this:

***
http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

cherrytree
A hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax
highlighting, storing data in a single xml or sqlite file.
***

It's not a classical address book but given that you need some extended
capabilities and the application looks flexible enough (while aimed to
note taking), it could be also an option worth to consider.

¹http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce/CherryTree-Feature-Laden-Note-Taking-Application

Greetings,

--
Camaleón