FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Joost Kraaijeveld
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

Hi,

I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer
(HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
behaviour).

Both machines print the Linux test page without problems. But one
machine cannot print PDFs while the other one prints them without
problem, be it a little slow (i.e. compared to the Windows machines that
use the same printer). The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an
almost empty pages with the following text:
"PCL CL error
Subsystem: IMAGE
Error: ExtraData
Operator: ReadImage
Position: 7"
I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.

Does anyone recognises this problem? Which *machine-dependent* files
exist and in which directory are there, after an
installation/configuration? Anyone any ideas?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1337949541.4419.19.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl">htt p://lists.debian.org/1337949541.4419.19.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl
 
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Juan Sierra Pons
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

2012/5/25 Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld@askesis.nl>:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
> the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
> morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
> exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer
> (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
> 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
> behaviour).
>
> Both machines print the Linux test page without problems. But one
> machine cannot print PDFs while the other one prints them without
> problem, be it a little slow (i.e. compared to the Windows machines that
> use the same printer). The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an
> almost empty pages with the following text:
> "PCL CL error
> * *Subsystem: IMAGE
> * *Error: * * ExtraData
> * *Operator: *ReadImage
> * *Position: *7"
> I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.
>
> Does anyone recognises this problem? Which *machine-dependent* files
> exist and in which directory are there, after an
> installation/configuration? Anyone any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Groeten,
>
> Joost Kraaijeveld
> Askesis B.V.
> Molukkenstraat 14
> 6524NB Nijmegen
> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
> fax: 024-3608416
> web: www.askesis.nl
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1337949541.4419.19.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl
>

Hi,

I had a similar problem long time ago I don't remember if the error
message was the same....

But.... I solved it stopping and unplugging the printer for a while
(30 sec should be enough)

Its sound silly but it worked.

Best regards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juan Sierra Pons juan@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202 http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00 6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CABS=y9s3ujK6e0jGOZq9DGO9PcMAwpekN4NG3a6PYtXYP9UU1 w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CABS=y9s3ujK6e0jGOZq9DGO9PcMAwpekN4NG3a6PYtXYP9UU1 w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Joost Kraaijeveld
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 14:48 +0200, Juan Sierra Pons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a similar problem long time ago I don't remember if the error
> message was the same....
>
> But.... I solved it stopping and unplugging the printer for a while
> (30 sec should be enough)
>
> Its sound silly but it worked.
In effect that is what I do every day every day (the problem exist for
some time already and now it is getting in my way).

And for those thinking about sacrificing a goat: done that already. It
made the first machine work, not the second one.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1337950404.4419.22.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl">htt p://lists.debian.org/1337950404.4419.22.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl
 
Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
keith
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:39:01 +0200
Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> wrote:
[...]
> use the same printer). The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an
> almost empty pages with the following text:
> "PCL CL error
> Subsystem: IMAGE
> Error: ExtraData
> Operator: ReadImage
> Position: 7"
> I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.
>
> Does anyone recognises this problem? Which *machine-dependent* files
> exist and in which directory are there, after an
> installation/configuration? Anyone any ideas?
>
> TIA

Could it be a corrupted file on that machine ?
--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120525141753.9280647e9df355198c2d2b95@gmail.com" >http://lists.debian.org/20120525141753.9280647e9df355198c2d2b95@gmail.com
 
Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:39:01 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
> the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
> morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
> exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer
> (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
> 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
> behaviour).

Are you sure that's the recommended driver for your device? The printer
seems to support PS as well as PCL6 so using lj5gray can make the job
output slower and has less options available to configure :-?

> Both machines print the Linux test page without problems. But one
> machine cannot print PDFs while the other one prints them without
> problem, be it a little slow (i.e. compared to the Windows machines that
> use the same printer).

Are you testing with the same PDF file? Do other PDF files fail in the
same way?

> The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an almost empty pages with
> the following text: "PCL CL error
> Subsystem: IMAGE
> Error: ExtraData
> Operator: ReadImage
> Position: 7"
> I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.
>
> Does anyone recognises this problem? Which *machine-dependent* files
> exist and in which directory are there, after an
> installation/configuration? Anyone any ideas?

Try to convert the PDF to a PS file (from the GNOME or KDE virtual
printer service), open the PS and print from there. Some PDF files are
badly encoded and thus more prone to make the printer to "halt".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jpo6dt$4v3$8@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jpo6dt$4v3$8@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Joost Kraaijeveld
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 14:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:39:01 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
> > I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
> > the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
> > morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
> > exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer
> > (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
> > 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
> > behaviour).
>
> Are you sure that's the recommended driver for your device? The printer
> seems to support PS as well as PCL6 so using lj5gray can make the job
> output slower and has less options available to configure :-?
It is the driver that the GUI says that it is the default. And I am not
sure, but I seem to remember that it used to be PS that was the default.
Anyway, with PS I have the same problem. I suspect that some
machine-dependent file is not correct. I have compared (the size of) the
files on both disks that are in the deb files and they seem to be the
same.


--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1337958315.4419.32.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl">htt p://lists.debian.org/1337958315.4419.32.camel@panoramix.Askesis.nl
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:05:15 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 14:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:39:01 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>>
>> > I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages
>> > and the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of
>> > this morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic
>> > are exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network
>> > printer (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended
>> > "HP LaserJet 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has
>> > the same behaviour).
>>
>> Are you sure that's the recommended driver for your device? The printer
>> seems to support PS as well as PCL6 so using lj5gray can make the job
>> output slower and has less options available to configure :-?

> It is the driver that the GUI says that it is the default.

GUIs can lie... I mean, they try to do their best but often they offer to
the user what they have, not what's the best.

> And I am not sure, but I seem to remember that it used to be PS that
> was the default.

A postscript printer will be happier with a postcript driver though in
linux you will experience a noticeable delay when using a PS driver for
printing complex documents.

> Anyway, with PS I have the same problem. I suspect that some machine
>-dependent file is not correct. I have compared (the size of) the files
> on both disks that are in the deb files and they seem to be the same.

Have you tried by converting the PDF file to a PS? And what happens with
a different PDF file or the error happens with *any* PDF file?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jpo7sq$4v3$11@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jpo7sq$4v3$11@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Joost Kraaijeveld
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On vr, 2012-05-25 at 16:52 +0100, Brian wrote:
> What do you mean by 'machine-dependent file'?
A file that is generated install-time, that adapts an installation to
the machine. E.g. whether a certain machine has or has not installed
packages.

Although the packages on the machines are the same, the installations
and updates did not occur in the same order and may not be done with the
same answers to upgrade questions. And both machines started as a Debian
SARGE TESTING somewhere in time...

I will try your debug tip shortly. Thanks.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1337964052.4896.4.camel@asterix.Askesis.nl">http://lists.debian.org/1337964052.4896.4.camel@asterix.Askesis.nl
 
Old 05-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Joost Kraaijeveld
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On vr, 2012-05-25 at 16:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Running the test won't hurt and anyway, he still did not say if the file
> is the same in both computers nor if all the PDFs are failing, or maybe I
> missed that reply.
It fails on all PDFs and I run the short test by printing page 1 of the
Advanced Bash−Scripting Guide.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1337965356.4896.6.camel@asterix.Askesis.nl">http://lists.debian.org/1337965356.4896.6.camel@asterix.Askesis.nl
 
Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 19:02:36 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> On vr, 2012-05-25 at 16:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Running the test won't hurt and anyway, he still did not say if the
>> file is the same in both computers nor if all the PDFs are failing, or
>> maybe I missed that reply.

> It fails on all PDFs

That sounds very strange...

> and I run the short test by printing page 1 of the Advanced Bas
> h−Scripting Guide.

Try and put here the results of:

1/ Converting the PDF into a PS file (still don't?) ;-)

2/ Also, you can try to send the PDF job directly to the printer's queue
("lp -d hp2200 your_file.pdf")

3/ Use a generic PCL6 driver or try even with the latest PPD file(s)
coming from the upstream hplip (3.12.4), i.e., "hp-
laserjet_2200_series.ppd" and "hp-laserjet_2200-pcl3.ppd".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jpoes1$4v3$18@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jpoes1$4v3$18@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org