Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Default how to update Debian OS properly

well, I have questions about upgrading Linux. since i have been using
Microsoft for years the concept of upgrade I think is different from
Linux upgrade.

in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
and I run the command
apt-get upgrade.
It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.

In Microsoft when we upgrade the OS. it downloads only the security
and OS patches.

So the question are

1. how to upgrade only the security patches?
2. if the upgrade patch trigger any critical issue. Like any service
like hosting, filesharing or squid got effected by the update, how
come we know which patch cause this problem and how to remove that
specific patch because in Microsoft I have seen that security patches
and OS patches some time make problems when run along with ongoing
services.

3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 15:57 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

If your repositories are explicit for stable, than there shouldn't
happen an upgrade to testing or unstable.

To restore your Debian stable in the future, IMO the easiest way is to
do a backup before upgrading and to restore from such a backup if
needed.

You can backup any Linux from another Linux, e.g. from a live media, if
you're root and run

cd /path/to/debian_stable
tar czf backup_name.tar.gz *

Globbing (here using *) and following links shouldn't be an issue for
your setup. And IMO having several backups/snapshots is more safe than
syncing backups. Btw. some dirs can be excluded, but IMO this makes a
backup unneeded complicated.

- Ralf

Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:57:28PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
> and I run the command
> apt-get upgrade.
> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.
>
> In Microsoft when we upgrade the OS. it downloads only the security
> and OS patches.
>
> So the question are
>
> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?

If security is your concern, you ought to be running "stable" as
opposed to testing. If you run stable, then ensuring that
security.debian.org is listed in the /etc/apt/sources.list will fetch
security updates.

> 2. if the upgrade patch trigger any critical issue. Like any service
> like hosting, filesharing or squid got effected by the update, how
> come we know which patch cause this problem and how to remove that
> specific patch because in Microsoft I have seen that security patches
> and OS patches some time make problems when run along with ongoing
> services.

I'd advise you to subscribe to the security mailing list of the
projects which you run on your machine whose security issues you are
concerned about.

Read this for further details and ideas: http://www.debian.org/security/

> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

This is a little complicated and one could end up hosing one's
system. I'd advise you to back up things and do a fresh install of
squeeze.

HTH.

Kumar
--
We use Linux for all our mission-critical applications. Having the source code
means that we are not held hostage by anyone's support department.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:

I like Synaptic, a GUI for the package management. It automatically set
up an upgrade history. You manually can set up a history when using apt,
however, Synaptic is very comfortable.

A history provides information this way:
package_name (1.11.4) to 1.12.0

Note, for the "standard repository" 1.11.4 is replaced by 1.12.0 too, so
you can't simply downgrade using the same repository. You need another
repository or to keep packages.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
rjc

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:57:28AM BST, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> well, I have questions about upgrading Linux. since i have been using
> Microsoft for years the concept of upgrade I think is different from
> Linux upgrade.
>
> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
> and I run the command
> apt-get upgrade.
> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.

Read below [0].

> In Microsoft when we upgrade the OS. it downloads only the security
> and OS patches.
>
> So the question are
>
> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?

aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade [1]

> 2. if the upgrade patch trigger any critical issue. Like any service
> like hosting, filesharing or squid got effected by the update, how
> come we know which patch cause this problem and how to remove that
> specific patch because in Microsoft I have seen that security patches
> and OS patches some time make problems when run along with ongoing
> services.

There are no "patches" like in Windows. Patches in free (open source)
software are for source code [2].

Upgrading a package you effectively installing a new version of the
software.

> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

You can always install an older version of the package.

[0] It seems like you had several entries in your sources.list file(s)
- post the content of your file here.

[1] safe-upgrade will only upgrade packages and won't remove any other
ones

[2] yes, I know, you can have binary patches as well

Cheers,
--
rjc

Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 06:42 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> I'd advise you to back up things and do a fresh install of
> squeeze.

"things" for your current install might be /home only. Perhaps xorg.conf
and some other files, using cp -pr while you're root. But in the future
completely backup using e.g. tar. Note, if you sync, you anyway might
lose data, since you might notice some issues after doing several
backups and not already with the backup that did cause an issue.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 15:57 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
>> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.
>
> If your repositories are explicit for stable, than there shouldn't
> happen an upgrade to testing or unstable.
>
> To restore your Debian stable in the future, IMO the easiest way is to
> do a backup before upgrading and to restore from such a backup if
> needed.
>
> You can backup any Linux from another Linux, e.g. from a live media, if

> you're root and run
>
> cd /path/to/debian_stable
> tar czf backup_name.tar.gz *

will clonezilla live CD work in this case? as i am using it very often
and a bit useto with it.

> Globbing (here using *) and following links shouldn't be an issue for
> your setup. And IMO having several backups/snapshots is more safe than

now this snapshots point raising one more question in my mind.
did you means snapshots like XP and Other windows OS supports. for
example. i can make a snapshot before installing any service like
apache , samba or anything. and after installing , at the end i
realize that i messed up the whole box then i can revert my system
back to that particular snapshot and i will be at the old stage. can i
use snapshot in this context ( sorry for the newbie Questions but i am
confused with Microsoft and Linux as there are same services in both
OS and working entirely in different way)

Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:57:28PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
>> and I run the command
>> apt-get upgrade.
>> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
>> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
>> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.
>>
>> In Microsoft when we upgrade *the OS. it downloads only the security
>> and OS patches.
>>
>> So the question are
>>
>> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?
>
> If security is your concern, you ought to be running "stable" as
> opposed to testing. If you run stable, then ensuring that
> security.debian.org is listed in the /etc/apt/sources.list will fetch
> security updates.
thanks for the response, but more i concern was a patch like fix
patches in Microsoft. i thought it would be working in same way :P as
i am already behind the firewall and actively monitoring things so
security from outside is not a concern for me. but securing the debian
box is also a target to achieve and security should not be neglected.
ill subscribe for the mailing list ASAP thanks for the advice.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 17:19 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > cd /path/to/debian_stable
> > tar czf backup_name.tar.gz *
>
> will clonezilla live CD work in this case? as i am using it very often
> and a bit useto with it.

AFAIK yes, Clonezilla should be ok.

> now this snapshots point raising one more question in my mind.
> did you means snapshots like XP and Other windows OS supports. for
> example. i can make a snapshot before installing any service like
> apache , samba or anything. and after installing , at the end i
> realize that i messed up the whole box then i can revert my system
> back to that particular snapshot and i will be at the old stage. can i
> use snapshot in this context ( sorry for the newbie Questions but i am
> confused with Microsoft and Linux as there are same services in both
> OS and working entirely in different way)

If you don't sync, than yes, at least for Linux you'll restore exactly
what you had before, at a explicit date. I suspect XP does a kind of
sync and I suspect it will be possible for Linux too, but if you tar
your Debian or use Clonezilla to do a complete image, nothing could go
wrong.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM, rjc <rjc@linuxstuff.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:57:28AM BST, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> well, I have questions about upgrading Linux. since i have been using
>> Microsoft for years the concept of upgrade I think is different from
>> Linux upgrade.
>>
>> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
>> and I run the command
>> apt-get upgrade.
>> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
>> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
>> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.
>
> Read below [0].
>
>> In Microsoft when we upgrade Â*the OS. it downloads only the security
>> and OS patches.
>>
>> So the question are
>>
>> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?
>
> aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade [1]

ok it will only update the security patches, no matter if what ever i
write in source.list?

one more question. for example. if i wanted to upgrade. but only to
stable version not to unstable or testing. then what could be done to
achieve this. if there is no stable version update then it shouldn’t
download anything from servers.

what i want is not just security patch but also OS to OS upgrade but
only stable releases
for, example. lenny to new lenny (but stable version)
for,example Lenny to Squeez (but stable squeez version)

how it is possible?

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main