Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Ethan Rosenberg

Default Playing Video - More questions -- Please --- some answers -- I'm stuck

At 09:43 AM 5/23/2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 23/05/12 13:41, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> Dear List -
>
> This might not be the correct address for this problem. If it is not,
> please direct me appropriately.
>
> I am trying to play a video. The following code is in Index1.html:
>
> <video width="320" height="240" controls="controls" src=

<file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov>"file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov"

> type="video/mov" >

Should be:-

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls"
src="file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov"
type="video/mov" >

You'll probably get a mime type unknown error - with Iceweasel just tick
the "always use this application" (or similar) and select /usr/bin/vlc
as the handler in the pop-up dialog

Pick another handler if you prefer, mplayer should play Quicktime.
You're also missing a codecs parameter from the video tag - but doesn't
matter for local use. You'll need to modify your .htaccess if you want
to publish the tag.

<snipped>

> If I try to play from the terminal - /usr/bin/mplayer
> /home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov
>
> I receive the following errors:
>
> [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0.
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
> e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
>
> Help and advice, please.

Mplayer may need some tuning - it appears you have the incorrect video
output module.

Try vlc - it 'should' work out of the box (*not* the one from
debian-multimedia).

Kind regards

==============================

Thanks to all for your advice and help. I still cannot get it to work.

There was an error in the statement of the <video> tag. I had it as
you suggested.

Let me try some very specific questions.

Let us assume that the file is foo.avi

1] What is the command line, using mencoder, for converting foo.avi to foo.mov.

2] What is the command line, using mplayer, for playing foo.mov.

3] What is the HTML5 code, using with the <video> tag, for playing foo.mov.

4] Using the answer to #2, can we force foo.mov to be played with mplayer.
a] I do not seem to be able to fine a mplayer plug-in.
b] I understand that Quicktime will play foo.mov. How do I
force that to happen? I have the plug-in, but seems that I cannot
find in the preferences an option to force the Quicktime plugin.

Thanks.

Ethan

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/0M4J00358FDPJ1M0@mta2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Archive: 0M4K00KA3BJ5MC70@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">http://lists.debian.org/0M4K00KA3BJ5MC70@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Old 05-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/05/12 15:06, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> At 09:43 AM 5/23/2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 23/05/12 13:41, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>> > Dear List -

<snipped>

Hi Ethan, I can't see much difference between this post, and the one
I've just responded to....

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 25 May 2012 01:06:39 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

(...)

> Let us assume that the file is foo.avi
>
> 1] What is the command line, using mencoder, for converting foo.avi to
> foo.mov.

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=mencoder+from+avi+to+mov

The key here is the support for Apple Quicktime format (.mov). May I ask
why are you interested in that media container?

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=mplayer+play+mov+files

> 3] What is the HTML5 code, using with the <video> tag, for playing
> foo.mov.

http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_video.asp

http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/Using_HTML5_Audio_Video/AudioandVideoTagBasics/AudioandVideoTagBasics.html

But pelase, make us (us → Internet users) a favor and consider using
whatever open source video container you prefer instead that mov
thingy ;-)

> 4] Using the answer to #2, can we force foo.mov to be played with
> mplayer.

Kindly expand that... file association (mime types) are defined within
your DE or VM and thus is a user dependant setting.

> a] I do not seem to be able to fine a mplayer plug-in.

A plugin for your browser? What browser?

> b] I understand that Quicktime will play foo.mov. How do I
> force that to happen? I have the plug-in, but seems that I cannot find
> in the preferences an option to force the Quicktime plugin.

Quicktime should dissapear in the same way flashplayer should. That said,
it's ages since I have not opened a mov file (neither locally nor embedded
inside html code) though my "aboutlugins" page says it could be possible:

***
QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0

Archivo: libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
Versión:
The Totem 2.22.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.

Tipo MIME Descripción Sufijos
video/quicktime v*deo QuickTime mov
video/mp4 v*deo MPEG-4 mp4
image/x-macpaint imagen en mapa de bits de MacPaint pntg
image/x-quicktime imagen QuickTime pict, pict1, pict2
video/x-m4v v*deo MPEG-4 m4v
***

Greetings,

--