-   -   dhclient does not recognize config file (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/670545-dhclient-does-not-recognize-config-file.html)

Paul Zimmerman 05-24-2012 02:33 PM

dhclient does not recognize config file

dhclient in Squeeze pays no attention to the config file at /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

All I need it to do is prepend the local host to resolv.conf so dns caching will work.

How do you get dhclient to do anything other than the default behavior?

"Karl E. Jorgensen" 05-24-2012 03:44 PM

dhclient does not recognize config file

Hi

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 03:33:21PM +0100, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> dhclient in Squeeze pays no attention to the config file at /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

How about /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf ?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
IT Operations

Camaleón 05-24-2012 04:34 PM

On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:33:21 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> dhclient in Squeeze pays no attention to the config file at
> /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

How does the file look like? Also, did you restart dhclient after editing
the file?

> All I need it to do is prepend the local host to resolv.conf so dns
> caching will work.

You mean the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1" stanza?

> How do you get dhclient to do anything other than the default behavior?

Are you using N-M?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Paul Zimmerman 05-24-2012 10:13 PM

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:33:21 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

>> dhclient in Squeeze pays no attention to the config file at/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

>How does the file look like? Also, did you restart dhclient after editing the file?*

Rebooting does a pretty good job of restarting all programs, including daemons. :)
This is an ongoing problem through days or use, so yes, it gets restarted often.

>> All I need it to do is prepend the local host to resolv.conf so dnscaching will work.

>You mean the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1" stanza?

Yes, that's what I tried first. It has absolutely no effect. Then I created some specific
"interface" entries. Since it left error messages in the log when I made mistakes, it
is clearly reading the config file.

>> How do you get dhclient to do anything other than the default behavior?

>Are you using N-M?

No, but I do use wicd. Does that write resolv.conf too? Avahi was running on the system,

but I removed it. Also checked for resolvconf and it doesn't show as installed even though

there is a resolvconf directory. Is there anything else that might be over-writing the file?

Joel Roth 05-25-2012 09:28 AM

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 03:13:13PM -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:33:21 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
>
> >> All I need it to do is prepend the local host to resolv.conf so dnscaching will work.
>
> >You mean the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1" stanza?
>
> Yes, that's what I tried first. It has absolutely no effect.

I'm listening, too, as was frustrated trying to use
this option the last time I sought to set up DNS caching.

--
Joel Roth

Camaleón 05-25-2012 03:47 PM

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:13:13 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:33:21 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
>
>>> dhclient in Squeeze pays no attention to the config file
>>> at/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
>
>>How does the file look like? Also, did you restart dhclient after
>>editing the file?
>
> Rebooting does a pretty good job of restarting all programs, including
> daemons. :) This is an ongoing problem through days or use, so yes, it
> gets restarted often.

Oh, okay. I just wanted to be sure the "dhclient" process was aware of
the changes done in the file :-)

>>> All I need it to do is prepend the local host to resolv.conf so
>>> dnscaching will work.
>
>>You mean the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1" stanza?
>

> Yes, that's what I tried first. It has absolutely no effect. Then I
> created some specific "interface" entries. Since it left error messages
> in the log when I made mistakes, it is clearly reading the config file.

That was going to be my next question: if the file is being read at all.
As so it seems, then is just that specific line that fails or that has no
visible effect, meaning your "/etc/resolv.conf" file remains the same,
right?

Let me try it in wheezy. Mmm, here it works :-?

I use N-M with a wireless card and I have edited "/etc/dhcp/
dhclient.conf" and set:

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Then restarted the NM service ("service network-manager restart") and
checked for the content of "/etc/resolv.conf". The first line now is:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

>>> How do you get dhclient to do anything other than the default
>>> behavior?
>
>>Are you using N-M?
>

> No, but I do use wicd. Does that write resolv.conf too? Avahi was
> running on the system,
>
> but I removed it. Also checked for resolvconf and it doesn't show as
> installed even though
>
> there is a resolvconf directory. Is there anything else that might be
> over-writing the file?

Then wicd will be in charge of editing/configuring "/etc/resolv.conf"
like N-M does but I'm not sure what could be the difference here, I mean,
between using N-M or Wicd ... or wait, the difference can also be in the
package version, as I'm on wheezy mine is "4.2.2.dfsg.1-5" while squeeze
has "4.1.1-P1-15+squeeze3"... maybe is that you're hitting a bug? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Tom H 05-25-2012 05:17 PM

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:13:13 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You mean the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1" stanza?
>>
>> Yes, that's what I tried first. It has absolutely no effect. Then I
>> created some specific "interface" entries. Since it left error messages
>> in the log when I made mistakes, it is clearly reading the config file.
>
> That was going to be my next question: if the file is being read at all.
> As so it seems, then is just that specific line that fails or that has no
> visible effect, meaning your "/etc/resolv.conf" file remains the same,
> right?
>
> I use N-M with a wireless card and I have edited "/etc/dhcp/
> dhclient.conf" and set:
>
> prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
>
> Then restarted the NM service ("service network-manager restart") and
> checked for the content of "/etc/resolv.conf". The first line now is:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1

For the record, this works for squeeze without NM or WICD - for me.

Check how well or badly dhclient's behaving by changing "RUN=no" to
"RUN=yes" in "/etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/debug", restarting your
network (in your case, I assume that "service wicd restart" will do it
but I've never used WICD), and checking
"/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases" and /tmp/dhclient-script.debug".