Old 05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Camaleón

Default Install Squeeze with firmware

On Wed, 23 May 2012 18:05:35 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

> I try to install onto HP Compaq nc600 laptop, -netcard is Brodacom
> Nextreme- with firmware nonfree from iso:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-
> firmware/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/firmware-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso
>
> and with iso:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/debian-6.0.5-i386-
> xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso
>
> but the installation starting, but after the first step, do not avances,
> remains on stand-by.

Where it stops, exactly? In what stage?

> Know how to solve this problem?

(...)

> May 21 12:37:14 check-missing-firmware: missing firmware files (tigon/tg3_tso5.bin) for tg3
> May 21 12:37:15 check-missing-firmware: installing firmware package /cdrom/firmware/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb

It seems the firmware for the NIC is loaded correctly so the problem could
come from a different place. Have you checked...?

- The ISOs checksum integrity
- For a bad CD media

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Brian

On Wed 23 May 2012 at 18:05:35 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

> I try to install onto HP Compaq nc600 laptop, -netcard is Brodacom Nextreme-
> with firmware nonfree from iso:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/firmware-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso
>
> and with iso:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/debian-6.0.5-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso
>
> but the installation starting, but after the first step, do not avances,
> remains on stand-by.

The first step is choosing a language but I think you do not mean that.
What do you mean by 'stand-by'? There is no response to any key presses?

Please say what medium you used for the iso, how the iso was put on it
and which operating system you used to do it.

> The partial log here:

The whole log would have been far more useful, or at the least the whole
portion of it starting from when the installer had completed booting.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 PM
"Antispammbox-debian"

Hi

With the virtual machine function all. But over and with this laptop, not!

Load firmware, after unload firmware, stay in waiting!

Regards

Archive: DCC796D969AE4242A396D3AC29D9FBE3@CentrinoDuo">http ://lists.debian.org/DCC796D969AE4242A396D3AC29D9FBE3@CentrinoDuo

Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
"Antispammbox-debian"

The first step is choosing a language but I think you do not mean that.
What do you mean by 'stand-by'? There is no response to any key presses?

Please say what medium you used for the iso, how the iso was put on it
and which operating system you used to do it.

I try install from hdd with image installer hd-media, and iso file from
cdrom.

Archive: 7543F54C10814886B573B08A3C8CE314@CentrinoDuo">http ://lists.debian.org/7543F54C10814886B573B08A3C8CE314@CentrinoDuo

Old 05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 23 May 2012 19:21:29 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

(please, keep the replies at the bottom)

>>> but the installation starting, but after the first step, do not
>>> avances, remains on stand-by.
>>
>> Where it stops, exactly? In what stage?
>>
>>> Know how to solve this problem?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> May 21 12:37:14 check-missing-firmware: missing firmware files
>>> (tigon/tg3_tso5.bin) for tg3
>>> May 21 12:37:15 check-missing-firmware: installing firmware package
>>> /cdrom/firmware/firmware-linux-nonfree_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb
>>
>> It seems the firmware for the NIC is loaded correctly so the problem
>> could come from a different place. Have you checked...?
>>
>> - The ISOs checksum integrity
>> - For a bad CD media

> With the virtual machine function all. But over and with this laptop,
> not!

The virtual machine loads a different set of network drivers (intel), so
no firmware is needed. Anyway, from the VM how are you loading the ISO,
from a CD or using the plain ISO file? It can be that the CD media itself
is damaged or wrong.

> Load firmware, after unload firmware, stay in waiting!

I would try to install from another media source (USB) if possible or try
with the official Debian install CD and load the firmware apart, from an
external source, as described here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmware_during_the_installation

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Brian

On Wed 23 May 2012 at 19:23:22 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

>> The first step is choosing a language but I think you do not mean that.
>> What do you mean by 'stand-by'? There is no response to any key presses?
>>
>> Please say what medium you used for the iso, how the iso was put on it
>> and which operating system you used to do it.
>
> I try install from hdd with image installer hd-media, and iso file from
> cdrom.

Your log was selective in its content; now you are selective in what
questions you choose to answer.

Your log also shows only /dev/sda? Was it for the HDD install?

Do you have two USB sticks available? Do you have access to a Linux
machine?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 PM
"Antispammbox-debian"

The first step is choosing a language but I think you do not mean that.
What do you mean by 'stand-by'? There is no response to any key presses?

yes, my language

Please say what medium you used for the iso, how the iso was put on it
and which operating system you used to do it.

I try install from hdd with image installer hd-media, and iso file from
cdrom.

Your log was selective in its content; now you are selective in what
questions you choose to answer.

I try two attempts:

first: from hd-media via grub2, with initrd.gz-vmlinuz onto hdd first
partition

second: with cdrom netinstall firmware

Your log also shows only /dev/sda? Was it for the HDD install?

hdd is 40gb ata with 3 partition: sda1/swap/sda3/sda4

Do you have two USB sticks available? Do you have access to a Linux
machine?

yes

Regards

Archive: F37C9089562D4FD9A4A8BA828B68EE5A@rx">http://lists.debian.org/F37C9089562D4FD9A4A8BA828B68EE5A@rx

Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Brian

On Wed 23 May 2012 at 23:05:29 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

>> Do you have two USB sticks available? Do you have access to a Linux
>> machine?
>
> yes

1. Read Section 4.3.1. at

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en

2. Put firmware-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso on your Linux machine. Insert a
USB stick into a port on the Linux machine. Type 'dmesg'. This will
tell you at the end what the name of the device is. Then

cat firmware-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdX

where X will be b or c etc.

3. Boot the machine from the USB stick.

An alternative is:

1. Put debian-6.0.5-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso on your Linux machine. Do
the same as in 2 above.

2. Read the link Camaleón gave you. Obtain firmware.tar.gz from

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/

3. Make a FAT16 partition on your second USB stick with cfdisk. Format
the partition with mkfs.vfat. Copy firmware.tar.gz to the partition.

4. Boot with the first USB stick and insert the second one if the
installer asks you to provide firmware.