Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 PM
bibop554

Default How does partman works ?

Hi,
I made a custom debian CD that installs fully automatically thanks to a preseed file.But i try to understand what happens between the reading of the "recipe" in the preseed file and the creation of partitions on the disk, because i don't have expected partitions size...

More particularly, i'm looking for the following informations:- what is the purpose of "parted_server" in package "partman-base"- how partman finally creates partitions ? I can't see any call to fdisk in partman source code.

Also, any documentation about the internals of partman could be useful, i did not find any on the web.
Cheers

Old 05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
songbird

bibop554 wrote:
> More particularly, i'm looking for the following informations:
> - what is the purpose of "parted_server" in package "partman-base"
> - how partman finally creates partitions ? I can't see any call to fdisk in
> partman source code.
>
> Also, any documentation about the internals of partman could be useful, i
> did not find any on the web.

check debian-boot mailing list and archives...
that is the most common place i see talk of partman
partition size formulas.

songbird

Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Joey Hess

bibop554 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a custom debian CD that installs fully automatically thanks to a preseed
> file.
> But i try to understand what happens between the reading of the "recipe" in the
> preseed file and the creation of partitions on the disk, because i don't have
> expected partitions size...

partman-auto is the component of partman that handles this.

> More particularly, i'm looking for the following informations:
> - what is the purpose of "parted_server" in package "partman-base"
> - how partman finally creates partitions ? I can't see any call to fdisk in
> partman source code.

parted_server uses the parted library to create the partitions.

> Also, any documentation about the internals of partman could be useful, i did
> not find any on the web.

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-installer.git;a=blob;f=doc/devel/partman/partman-doc.sgml;h=90ff44e860fd48a6138eb1314e2329b49ff891e 0;hb=HEAD

(debian-boot would be a better list for this kind of question)

--
see shy jo