Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
felix chisoni

Default Help New Debian User to install

Dear all,

I am a college librarian in a nursing school. I have been using a
Library Management System called KOHA 2.2.9 which runs on windows xp.
This is a very old version. However, I am determined to upgrade to
KOHA 3.6 which runs on Debian with so much exciting features.

I have managed to downloaded the debian-6.0.5-i386-iso
(191.00mb-napoleon.um.se) and copied it on a CD. It is a small
installation image from Debian website. This morning, I was trying to
install it for testing. Whilst it was scanning the mirrors, It
indicated this
warning "Bad archive mirror). It appears the reason is my poor
internet connection. I am expecting to work overnight when the speed
improves.

I am not sure if I have made any mistake.

Please Help.

--
Felix Chisoni (College Librarian)
St Luke's College of Nursing & Midwifery

Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Indulekha

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:20:14PM +0200, felix chisoni wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a college librarian in a nursing school. I have been using a
> Library Management System called KOHA 2.2.9 which runs on windows xp.
> This is a very old version. However, I am determined to upgrade to
> KOHA 3.6 which runs on Debian with so much exciting features.
>
> I have managed to downloaded the debian-6.0.5-i386-iso
> (191.00mb-napoleon.um.se) and copied it on a CD. It is a small
> installation image from Debian website. This morning, I was trying to
> install it for testing. Whilst it was scanning the mirrors, It
> indicated this
> warning "Bad archive mirror). It appears the reason is my poor
> internet connection. I am expecting to work overnight when the speed
> improves.
>
> I am not sure if I have made any mistake.
>
> Please Help.

If you have a really bad internet connection (I do),
you might be able to save a lot of time by buying the
full set of Debian discs. I paid something like $26
for all 8 DVDs at osdisc.com, and there are other vendors
also listed at http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Lisi

Hi, Felix,
On Tuesday 22 May 2012 11:20:14 felix chisoni wrote:
> This morning, I was trying to
> install it for testing. Whilst it was scanning the mirrors, It
> indicated this
> warning "Bad archive mirror). It appears the reason is my poor
> internet connection. I am expecting to work overnight when the speed
> improves.

You are usually given a choice of mirror during installation. Did this not
happen?

I'm afraid that I do not know what 191.00mb-napoleon.um.se is. :-(

You should be able to install without a mirror from CD1. You could then sort
out mirrors once you had the distro installed. I believe that the install CD
should ask whether you want to sort out mirrors, and you should be able to
install without an Internet connection. But I am not sure. It is some time
since I installed the system from CD. I always use the netinstall CD.

Lisi

Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Brian

On Tue 22 May 2012 at 12:20:14 +0200, felix chisoni wrote:

[Snip]

> I have managed to downloaded the debian-6.0.5-i386-iso
> (191.00mb-napoleon.um.se) and copied it on a CD. It is a small
> installation image from Debian website. This morning, I was trying to
> install it for testing. Whilst it was scanning the mirrors, It
> indicated this
> warning "Bad archive mirror). It appears the reason is my poor
> internet connection. I am expecting to work overnight when the speed
> improves.
>
> I am not sure if I have made any mistake.

The problem is not particularily the speed but how reliable the
connection is and whether it has been configured correctly. You do not
mention any difficulty with setting up the network (you are using DHCP?)
but 'Bad archive mirror' can be the result of not being able to resolve
the mirror's address using DNS.

If it happens again do:

1. Switch to a console with Alt+F2 or Control+Alt+F2 and activate it.

2. Run the command 'wget 86.59.118.148' or 'wget 82.195.75.97'.

3. Run 'wget www.debian.org'.

If index.html is downloaded in step 2 but not in step 3 you have a DNS
issue.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Lars Noodn

On 05/22/2012 01:20 PM, felix chisoni wrote:
> I have managed to downloaded the debian-6.0.5-i386-iso
> (191.00mb-napoleon.um.se) and copied it on a CD.

That is in Ume, Sweden. Your network connection to the repositories
might improve a lot if you choose a mirror site much closer to you
geographically.

Regards,
/Lars

Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Brian

Correction: 'wget http://86.59.118.148' etc.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 22 May 2012 12:20:14 +0200, felix chisoni wrote:

(...)

> I have managed to downloaded the debian-6.0.5-i386-iso
> (191.00mb-napoleon.um.se) and copied it on a CD. It is a small
> installation image from Debian website. This morning, I was trying to
> install it for testing. Whilst it was scanning the mirrors, It indicated
> this
> warning "Bad archive mirror). It appears the reason is my poor internet
> connection. I am expecting to work overnight when the speed improves.
>
> I am not sure if I have made any mistake.
>
> Please Help.

If you have a bad/poor Internet connection you better download the first
ISO image (CD or DVD) and install from there -that is, from a local media
source- so you don't have to depend on Internet "glitches".

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
keith

On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:20:16 +0000 (UTC)
Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2012 12:20:14 +0200, felix chisoni wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > I have managed to downloaded the debian-6.0.5-i386-iso
> > (191.00mb-napoleon.um.se) and copied it on a CD. It is a small
> > installation image from Debian website. This morning, I was trying to
> > install it for testing. Whilst it was scanning the mirrors, It indicated
> > this
> > warning "Bad archive mirror). It appears the reason is my poor internet
> > connection. I am expecting to work overnight when the speed improves.
> >
> > I am not sure if I have made any mistake.
> >
> > Please Help.
>
> If you have a bad/poor Internet connection you better download the first
> ISO image (CD or DVD) and install from there -that is, from a local media
> source- so you don't have to depend on Internet "glitches".
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camalen

Preferably from an FTP server, if you get disconected, it should pick up from where it left off.

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>