Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Dan Turk

Default Problems installing debian on Dell 530 with unrecognized NIC

I need to get advice / help on how to best go about installing debian on a Dell 530 Intel Core 2 Quad-core machine for which the debian installer does not recognize the Intel 82562V-2 Network Interface Card. * A couple questions: * 1. Should I be using i386 or amd64 for this machine, to take best advantage of the 4 cores and the 8 Gb of RAM I have in the machine? * 2. How can I get the NIC to be recognized?* I've seen many postings on the net saying to download Intel's e1000 driver and install that.* However, at first my install had no compiler tools*- based on doing a netinstall of 40r3*and proceeding with no NIC.* Some of the postings said to use the unstable 2.6.24... version, which had the drivers included, but I can't seem to find where to get that.* So,*I burned the first stable 40r3*DVD and installed from that, but now I don't have
development tools for the kernel / modules.* I'm currently burning the other DVDs, and am hoping then I'll have all the resources I need to install the driver, but it seems that there must be a much easier way to do this...! * Thanks in advance for your help and pointers. * Dan
http://mail.yahoo.com

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:01:37AM -0700, Dan Turk wrote:
> I need to get advice / help on how to best go about installing debian on a Dell 530 Intel Core 2 Quad-core machine for which the debian installer does not recognize the Intel 82562V-2 Network Interface Card.
>
> A couple questions:
>
> 1. Should I be using i386 or amd64 for this machine, to take best
> advantage of the 4 cores and the 8 Gb of RAM I have in the machine?

probably amd64, though it's not completely "there" yet, unless you
specifically need something from i386, I don't see any reason *not* to
go to amd64. and it saves you from converting later...

> 2. How can I get the NIC to be recognized? I've seen many postings on the net saying to download Intel's e1000 driver and install that. However, at first my install had no compiler tools - based on doing a netinstall of 40r3 and proceeding with no NIC. Some of the postings said to use the unstable 2.6.24... version, which had the drivers included, but I can't seem to find where to get that. So, I burned the first stable 40r3 DVD and installed from that, but now I don't have development tools for the kernel / modules. I'm currently burning the other DVDs, and am hoping then I'll have all the resources I need to install the driver, but it seems that there must be a much easier way to do this...!

the short answer is to stick a known good NIC in the box and get up
and running then you can proceed to work on the onboard nic working.

from my brief searching it appears (as of Aug 07) that there are no
plans to put the code for that nic in the kernel tree, you have to
build the driver from e1000.sourceforge.net. If you have access to
another machine of the same archictecture, you can build the module
there, stick it on a disk and then switch to a VT during install and
insert the module from there. Might work.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
mike

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[...]

When I tried etch, the hard drive and the ethernet card were not recognized.
I got the newest install CD for lenny and the harddrive was recognized,
but still no ethernet. I then put a e100 card in and the install
went fine. After the install and upgrades, I plugged the onboard card
back in and everything seems to be working fine, so somewhere it has
been added to the kernel.
My Dell 530 has a Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz. I am
running the i386 debian.

-mike

Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:56:10AM -0400, mike wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:01:37AM -0700, Dan Turk wrote:
>>
>>> I need to get advice / help on how to best go about installing
>>> debian on a Dell 530 Intel Core 2 Quad-core machine for which the
>>> debian installer does not recognize the Intel 82562V-2 Network
>>> Interface Card.

>>> 2. How can I get the NIC to be recognized? I've seen many
>>> postings on the net saying to download Intel's e1000 driver and
>>> install that. However, at first my install had no compiler tools -
>>> based on doing a netinstall of 40r3 and proceeding with no NIC. Some
>>> of the postings said to use the unstable 2.6.24... version, which had
>>> the drivers included, but I can't seem to find where to get that.
>>> So, I burned the first stable 40r3 DVD and installed from that, but
>>> now I don't have development tools for the kernel / modules. I'm
>>> currently burning the other DVDs, and am hoping then I'll have all
>>> the resources I need to install the driver, but it seems that there
>>> must be a much easier way to do this...!
>>>

>> the short answer is to stick a known good NIC in the box and get up
>> and running then you can proceed to work on the onboard nic working.
>>
>> from my brief searching it appears (as of Aug 07) that there are no
>> plans to put the code for that nic in the kernel tree, you have to
>> build the driver from e1000.sourceforge.net.

> When I tried etch, the hard drive and the ethernet card were not recognized.
> I got the newest install CD for lenny and the harddrive was recognized,
> but still no ethernet. I then put a e100 card in and the install
> went fine. After the install and upgrades, I plugged the onboard card
> back in and everything seems to be working fine, so somewhere it has
> been added to the kernel.
> My Dell 530 has a Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz. I am
> running the i386 debian.

sounds like the installer's kernel doesn't have the e1000 module but
the installed kernel does.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Dan Turk

Thanks to those of you who sent ideas on solving this problem. * I only tried one idea - get the daily unstable / testing build.* I downloaded the amd64-netinst*build from yesterday, Apr 9, and it recognized the NIC with no problem.* I still have some things to get configured, but it could talk to the Net no problem.* Apparently the current stable build just doesn't have the drivers for the Intel 82562V-2 Network Interface Card included... * Dan