-   -   Enabling DMA with new MB (solved) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/66863-enabling-dma-new-mb-solved.html)

David Baron 04-09-2008 02:38 PM

Enabling DMA with new MB (solved)

>After my old far-eastern MB died, replaced with an "aopen" MB with a
>somewhat
>faster 600mhz PIII slot-1 CPU (I was running my old 500mhz PIII and 575).

>Went through all the BIOS setups. A master-DMA can be enabled but the DMA on
>the IDEs seems unavailable. Have it all "auto" -- BIOS choices for the IDEs
>are "auto", p0, p1, p2 , p3, p4 and udma "auto" or disabled. Hdparm will not
>allow -d1 either.
>* * *

No, it was not the BIOS. Those alternatives are correct.
No, it was not the cables even though putting in the 80-pin cable is more
up-to-date and the bootup no longer complains about that.

The MB is a via chipset. Ide-generic, compiled into the kernel, is not
compatible with this. So I compiled the kernel with the via module compiled
in, leaving the generic as a module in case it is needed as well (not using
an initrd but would be needed there as well, i think). A few trepidations
here but it boot up just fine and no more complaints about DMA. Phew! I can
breathe again :-)

(There were several googled items citing this as the only solution.)