Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Keir Snow

Default Problem with Dovecot

Bit of a newbie here so please bear with me!

I've installed Dovecot on my debian squeeze virtual server. I managed
to configure it using system users and it seemed to work. However
over the past week or so it has simply not been working. mail I send
to myself (ie keir@mydomain.org) does not appear in the webmailer
(roundcube) or mutt as it did previously yet it does not bounce
either. There are no relevant messages in /var/logs/mail*. It is
quite possible that I've flipped a switch somewhere that I have
forgotten about, just wondering what the first things I should check
in trying to solve this problem are?

Thanks

Keir

Old 05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Jon Dowland

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 03:59:11PM +0100, Keir Snow wrote:
> I've installed Dovecot on my debian squeeze virtual server.

As an IMAPd, something else, or both?

> I managed to configure it using system users and it seemed to work. However
> over the past week or so it has simply not been working. mail I send to
> myself (ie keir@mydomain.org)

>From where?

> does not appear in the webmailer (roundcube) or mutt as it did previously yet
> it does not bounce either.

This sounds like an MTA problem rather than an imapd problem (hence my first question)

> There are no relevant messages in /var/logs/mail*. It is quite possible that
> I've flipped a switch somewhere that I have forgotten about, just wondering
> what the first things I should check in trying to solve this problem are?

Use swaks(1) from another host to ensure that your MTA is working properly, then
move up the stack from there.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Keir Snow

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 03:59:11PM +0100, Keir Snow wrote:
>> I've installed Dovecot on my debian squeeze virtual server.
>
> As an IMAPd, something else, or both?

IMAPd I think

>> I managed to configure it using system users and it seemed to work. *However
>> over the past week or so it has simply not been working. *mail I send to
>> myself (ie keir@mydomain.org)
>
> >From where?

This address

>> does not appear in the webmailer (roundcube) or mutt as it did previously yet
>> it does not bounce either.
>
> This sounds like an MTA problem rather than an imapd problem (hence my first question)

Could be though I can send mail from the server fine.

>> There are no relevant messages in /var/logs/mail*. It is quite possible that
>> I've flipped a switch somewhere that I have forgotten about, just wondering
>> what the first things I should check in trying to solve this problem are?
>
> Use swaks(1) from another host to ensure that your MTA is working properly, then
> move up the stack from there.

Ok, will give this a go.

Thanks

Keir

Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:59:11 +0100, Keir Snow wrote:

> Bit of a newbie here so please bear with me!
>
> I've installed Dovecot on my debian squeeze virtual server. I managed
> to configure it using system users and it seemed to work. However over
> the past week or so it has simply not been working. mail I send to
> myself (ie keir@mydomain.org) does not appear in the webmailer
> (roundcube) or mutt as it did previously yet it does not bounce either.

You have to check first if it has been even delivered, which means if it
reached you MTA and with what result.

> There are no relevant messages in /var/logs/mail*.

What's your MTA, Exim, Postfix...? And it is configured to deliver to the
outside, to the "real" world? :-)

> It is quite possible that I've flipped a switch somewhere that I have
> forgotten about, just wondering what the first things I should check in
> trying to solve this problem are?

In the meantime, you can test if local delivery still works.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Keir Snow

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> If this simple test fails then you better stop here, read the log and
> solve the problem in first place :-)

keir@example:~$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 example.org ESMTP Exim 4.72 Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:34:00 +0000
helo example.org
250 example.org Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
mail from: sm01@localhost
250 OK
rcpt to: keir@localhost
250 Accepted
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
foobar
.
250 OK id=1ShlHY-00081O-MW
quit
221 example.org closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
keir@example:~$ mailx
No mail for keir

No luck :-/ Only relevant log entries seem to be:

2012-06-21 17:35:06 1ShlHY-00081O-MW <= sm01@localhost H=localhost
(example.org) [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=352
2012-06-21 17:35:06 1ShlHY-00081O-MW gmail-smtp-in-v4v6.l.google.com
[2a00:1450:8005::1b] Network is unreachable
2012-06-21 17:35:07 1ShlHY-00081O-MW => snow.keir@gmail.com
<keir@localhost> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp
H=gmail-smtp-in-v4v6.l.google.com [173.194.67.26]
X=TLS1.0:RSA_ARCFOUR_SHA1:16 DN="C=US,ST=California,L=Mountain
View,O=Google Inc,CN=mx.google.com"
2012-06-21 17:35:07 1ShlHY-00081O-MW Completed

Any ideas?

Keir

Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:22:54 +0100, Keir Snow wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If this simple test fails then you better stop here, read the log and
>> solve the problem in first place :-)
>
> keir@example:~$ telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 example.org ESMTP Exim 4.72 Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:34:00 +0000
> helo example.org
> 250 example.org Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
> mail from: sm01@localhost
^^^^

(...)

Well, that's *my* user, you should have tried with yours ("keir")
instead :-)

> keir@example:~$ mailx
> No mail for keir
>
> No luck :-/

Let's see what's going on...

> Only relevant log entries seem to be:
>
> 2012-06-21 17:35:06 1ShlHY-00081O-MW <= sm01@localhost H=localhost (example.org) [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=352
> 2012-06-21 17:35:06 1ShlHY-00081O-MW gmail-smtp-in-v4v6.l.google.com [2a00:1450:8005::1b] Network is unreachable

This messages is because your Exim4 is still configured to use ipv6, but
I don't think this is a "fatal" error, just a warning.

> 2012-06-21 17:35:07 1ShlHY-00081O-MW => snow.keir@gmail.com <keir@localhost> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in-v4v6.l.google.com [173.194.67.26] X=TLS1.0:RSA_ARCFOUR_SHA1:16 DN="C=US,ST=California,L=Mountain View,O=Google Inc,CN=mx.google.com"
> 2012-06-21 17:35:07 1ShlHY-00081O-MW Completed
>
> Any ideas?

Yes. Okay, it seems your Exim4 is delivering (even the local messages?)
to Gmail, and you will have to discover why happens so because the
default Exim4 installation is not configured that way.

What did you do? Maybe something like this? :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

You know (or should know) that Exim4 can be configured for different
roles based on your needs, you have more info here:

http://pkg-exim4.alioth.debian.org/README/README.Debian.html#id280581

Hint: check your "snow.keir@gmail.com" mailbox.

Greetings,

--