Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Torquil Macdonald Sørensen

Default Konqueror and wikipedia-math

Hello,

Konqueror does not display all the math symbols in wikipedia articles that
Iceweasel can display. Does anyone know why?

E.g., the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9chet_derivative

In the "Definition"-section, the second sentence that begins "A function f :
U..." should continue with an arrow towards the right, but in konqueror it is
displayed as a rectangle.

Best regards,
Torquil Sørensen

Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Rico Secada

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:53:49 +0200
Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Konqueror does not display all the math symbols in wikipedia articles
> that Iceweasel can display. Does anyone know why?

You have to make sure that you have installed a font that supports the
signs, and you have to use the right character set.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 12:13:42 Rico Secada wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:53:49 +0200
>
> Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Konqueror does not display all the math symbols in wikipedia articles
> > that Iceweasel can display. Does anyone know why?
>
> You have to make sure that you have installed a font that supports the
> signs, and you have to use the right character set.

Thanks, but the font must be installed since Iceweasel displays the symbol
correctly? Iceweasel uses UTF8 to display that page. But konqueror did not
display it any differently from before, after forcing it to also use UTF8.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:23:58 +0200, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen (torquil@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 April 2008 12:13:42 Rico Secada wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:53:49 +0200
> >
> > Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Konqueror does not display all the math symbols in wikipedia articles
> > > that Iceweasel can display. Does anyone know why?
> >
> > You have to make sure that you have installed a font that supports the
> > signs, and you have to use the right character set.
>
> Thanks, but the font must be installed since Iceweasel displays the symbol
> correctly? Iceweasel uses UTF8 to display that page. But konqueror did not
> display it any differently from before, after forcing it to also use UTF8.

That's weird. It displays perfectly here on Konqueror (and Firefox and
Opera).

Lenny/Sid and KDE.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-04-09 12:23 +0200, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:

> Thanks, but the font must be installed since Iceweasel displays the symbol
> correctly? Iceweasel uses UTF8 to display that page. But konqueror did not
> display it any differently from before, after forcing it to also use UTF8.

Konqueror already uses UTF-8 (otherwise the page would be completely
messed up), the problem is that the font does not contain the desired
character. Try to use "DejaVu Sans" as the font for sans-serif text,
that worked for me.

Sven

Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 AM

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 12:56:50 Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-04-09 12:23 +0200, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
> > Thanks, but the font must be installed since Iceweasel displays the
> > symbol correctly? Iceweasel uses UTF8 to display that page. But konqueror
> > did not display it any differently from before, after forcing it to also
> > use UTF8.
>
> Konqueror already uses UTF-8 (otherwise the page would be completely
> messed up), the problem is that the font does not contain the desired
> character. Try to use "DejaVu Sans" as the font for sans-serif text,
> that worked for me.

Thanks, now I can also see the right arrow on that page with Konqueror. But
there must also be some other font that works, which was already installed
since it worked with Iceweasel. But in the Iceweasel font settings I only
have the same fonts as the Konqueror settings had, i.e. the "Serif" "Sans
Serif" "Monospace" font names. It would be interesting to know which font
Iceweasel used.