Old 05-13-2012, 01:23 PM
wzab

Default Corrupted windows in KDE after last upgrade in debian/testing

Hi,

After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in the
screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not visible,

but import complained about "too much input data").
What's interesting, problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and it
appears only in one of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA
compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)"

Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally.
Whet can be the reason and cure for this problem?
--
TIA & Regards,
Wojtek

Old 05-13-2012, 01:50 PM
"Roman V.Leon."

After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in the
screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not visible,
but import complained about "too much input data").
What's interesting, problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and it
appears only in one of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA
compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)"

Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally.
Whet can be the reason and cure for this problem?

Hello, Wojtek.
Please try to use "vesa" driver in your xorg.conf, it will allow you to
make sure that this is a vga driver issue (and maybe not a hardware
problem).

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Archive: 4FAFBC38.8030302@meta.ua">http://lists.debian.org/4FAFBC38.8030302@meta.ua

Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:23:58 +0200, wzab wrote:

> After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
> layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in the
> screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not visible,
> but import complained about "too much input data"). What's interesting,
> problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and it appears only in one
> of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA compatible controller:
> Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)"
>
> Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally. Whet
> can be the reason and cure for this problem?

Mmm, it could be something coming from KDE itself and window rendering
(kwin). Have you tried to enable desktop effects? Is just for testing
purposes, no need to keep them afterwards :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Sun, 13 May 2012 17:50:48 +0400, Roman wrote in message
<4FAFBC38.8030302@meta.ua>:

> On 13.05.2012 17:23, wzab wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
> > layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in
> > the screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not
> > visible, but import complained about "too much input data").
> > What's interesting, problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and
> > it appears only in one of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA
> > compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
> > Controller (rev 02)"

..url to your dmesg?

> > Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally.
> > Whet can be the reason and cure for this problem?
>
> Hello, Wojtek.
> Please try to use "vesa" driver in your xorg.conf, it will allow you
> to make sure that this is a vga driver issue (and maybe not a
> hardware problem).

..note that the "vesa" driver is only useful for diagnosis and
in really bad cases of hardware failures, as a stopgap driver
while you get another graphics card airlifted in to whereever
your are.

..assuming you have an intel card, you need the firmware-linux
(which hauls in firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree),
libdrm2:i386 (or libdrm2:amd64), libdrm-intel1:i386 (or
libdrm-intel1:amd64) and xserver-xorg-video-intel to get these
cards working, guys, did I miss anything here?

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-05-13 19:42 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> ..assuming you have an intel card, you need the firmware-linux
> (which hauls in firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree),

Erm, no. Only Radeon cards need that firmware.

> libdrm2:i386 (or libdrm2:amd64), libdrm-intel1:i386 (or
> libdrm-intel1:amd64) and xserver-xorg-video-intel to get these
> cards working, guys, did I miss anything here?

Installing xserver-xorg is also necessary, and libgl1-mesa-dri is highly
recommended. But I guess all these packages are already installed.

Cheers,
Sven

Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM
"wzabolot@elektron.elka.pw.edu.pl"

After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in the
screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not visible,
but import complained about "too much input data").
What's interesting, problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and it
appears only in one of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA
compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)"

Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally.
Whet can be the reason and cure for this problem?

Hello, Wojtek.
Please try to use "vesa" driver in your xorg.conf, it will allow you to
make sure that this is a vga driver issue (and maybe not a hardware
problem).

I've tried "vesa" driver (as I'm not using xorg.conf, I've simply
changed the name of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so TO
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so.DISABLED to prevent loading)-
no corruptions both in LXDE and in KDE sessions.

When I've again restored the original name and restarted X, I've got
this corrupted screen back in KDE (in LXDE everything works good).

I attach the X.log files for both configurations.
--
TIA & Regards,
Wojtek

Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 AM
wzab

On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:23:58 +0200, Camaleon wrote:

| On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:23:58 +0200, wzab wrote:
|
| > After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange windows
| > layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph (unfortunately in the
| > screen dump performed with "import" utility the effect was not visible,
| > but import complained about "too much input data"). What's interesting,
| > problem does not occur in the LXDE session, and it appears only in one
| > of my machines - the one which uses the "VGA compatible controller:
| > Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)"
| >
| > Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally. Whet
| > can be the reason and cure for this problem?
|
| Mmm, it could be something coming from KDE itself and window rendering
| (kwin). Have you tried to enable desktop effects? Is just for testing
| purposes, no need to keep them afterwards :-)

Exactly. The problem disappears when I switch off the desktop effects.
It seems, that after this upgrade something happened with desktop effects.
BTW. My another machine , which uses "Display controller: Intel Corporation
Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev
03)" also started to experience problems:
After KDE session starts, I get the message (as I it rmember, translated from Polish)
"Desktop effects are too slow and will be switched off".

Previously both those machines worked good :-(.

Greetings,
WZab

Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 AM
wzab

On 2012-05-13 Sven Joachim wrote:

| On 2012-05-13 19:42 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
|
| > ..assuming you have an intel card, you need the firmware-linux
| > (which hauls in firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree),
|
| Erm, no. Only Radeon cards need that firmware.
|
| > libdrm2:i386 (or libdrm2:amd64), libdrm-intel1:i386 (or
| > libdrm-intel1:amd64) and xserver-xorg-video-intel to get these
| > cards working, guys, did I miss anything here?
|
| Installing xserver-xorg is also necessary, and libgl1-mesa-dri is highly
| recommended. But I guess all these packages are already installed.

Yes, all the above packages are installed.

Greetings,
WZab

Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:13:46 +0200, wzabolot@elektron.elka.pw.edu.pl
wrote in message <4FB0A29A.2000508@elektron.elka.pw.edu.pl>:

> On 13.05.2012 15:50, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
> > On 13.05.2012 17:23, wzab wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> After last upgrade of my machines, one of them shows strange
> >> windows layout in KDE sessions. I attach the photograph
> >> (unfortunately in the screen dump performed with "import" utility
> >> the effect was not visible, but import complained about "too much
> >> input data"). What's interesting, problem does not occur in the
> >> LXDE session, and it appears only in one of my machines - the one
> >> which uses the "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> >> 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)"
> >>
> >> Other machines - with newer Intel graphics chipsets work normally.
> >> Whet can be the reason and cure for this problem?
> >
> > Hello, Wojtek.
> > Please try to use "vesa" driver in your xorg.conf, it will allow
> > you to make sure that this is a vga driver issue (and maybe not a
> > hardware problem).
> >
> I've tried "vesa" driver (as I'm not using xorg.conf, I've simply
> changed the name of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so TO
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so.DISABLED to prevent

..`dpkg P xserver-xorg-video-vesa` and try your first|intel
configuration again, it looks like your system is trying to
setup the intel driver for a vesa config, if that makes any
sense to anyone.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
songbird

wzabolot@elektron.elka.pw.edu.pl wrote:
> When I've again restored the original name and restarted X, I've got
> this corrupted screen back in KDE (in LXDE everything works good).

i have the same chipset, but am running
Gnome. had a font corruption bug in the
panel on startup.

so i would guess this isn't a kde or