Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack): (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/66499-dpkg-error-processing-var-cache-apt-archives-linux-image-2-6-18-5-486_2-6-18-dfsg-1-13etch6_i386-deb-unpack.html)

"Mathieu Malaterre" 04-08-2008 10:11 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
Hi there,

Has anyone seen this issue before (*). I am running a linux debian
stable (etch).

Thanks


(*)
(Reading database ... 66650 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch4
(using .../linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb)
...
The directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486 still exists. Continuing as directed.
Done.
Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb
(--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
`./lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko': No space
left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Your /etc/kernel-img.conf needs to be updated. Read grub's NEWS.Debian[1]
file and follow its instructions.

1. /usr/share/doc/grub/NEWS.Debian.gz


You shouldn't call /sbin/update-grub. Please call /usr/sbin/update-grub instead!

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.22-3-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.21-2-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-486
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Preparing to replace libpam0g 0.79-4 (using .../libpam0g_0.79-5_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libpam0g ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


--
Mathieu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-08-2008 10:24 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

Hi there,

Has anyone seen this issue before (*). I am running a linux debian
stable (etch).

Thanks


(*)
(Reading database ... 66650 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch4
(using .../linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb)
...
The directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486 still exists. Continuing as directed.
Done.
Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.18-5-486 ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb
(--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
`./lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko': No space
left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Your /etc/kernel-img.conf needs to be updated. Read grub's NEWS.Debian[1]
file and follow its instructions.

1. /usr/share/doc/grub/NEWS.Debian.gz


You shouldn't call /sbin/update-grub. Please call /usr/sbin/update-grub instead!

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.22-3-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.21-2-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-486
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-486
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Preparing to replace libpam0g 0.79-4 (using .../libpam0g_0.79-5_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libpam0g ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)



Guess here:


you are out of room on one of your devices, I would guess /

/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb
(--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
`./lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko': No space
left on device

IF I read this correctly, you ran out of room at ./lib/modules/etc/etc,
which should be on /


do a df -h /

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Mike Bird 04-08-2008 10:24 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
On Tue April 8 2008 15:11:06 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Has anyone seen this issue before (*). I am running a linux debian
> stable (etch).

Yes. Wou were lucky. Sometimes when /boot is full it silently
corrupts the initramfs without any error message. You probably
need to make room in /boot, perhaps by deleting an old unused
kernel.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-08-2008 10:32 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
Mike Bird wrote:

On Tue April 8 2008 15:11:06 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:


Has anyone seen this issue before (*). I am running a linux debian
stable (etch).



Yes. Wou were lucky. Sometimes when /boot is full it silently
corrupts the initramfs without any error message. You probably
need to make room in /boot, perhaps by deleting an old unused
kernel.



And that was my 2nd guess, but I have never had a full /boot so I can
only read the place where it errored, which was with the modules unpacking.


you can do a df -h /boot to test. most people put /boot on / if they
are not running raid or LVM or have some other reason to hang it alone.
If /boot is not on it's own partition, look at a full /


HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Mathieu Malaterre" 04-08-2008 10:37 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
> Mike Bird wrote:
>
> > On Tue April 8 2008 15:11:06 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> >
> >
> > > Has anyone seen this issue before (*). I am running a linux debian
> > > stable (etch).
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Yes. Wou were lucky. Sometimes when /boot is full it silently
> > corrupts the initramfs without any error message. You probably
> > need to make room in /boot, perhaps by deleting an old unused
> > kernel.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> And that was my 2nd guess, but I have never had a full /boot so I can only
> read the place where it errored, which was with the modules unpacking.
>
> you can do a df -h /boot to test. most people put /boot on / if they are
> not running raid or LVM or have some other reason to hang it alone. If
> /boot is not on it's own partition, look at a full /
>
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Damon L. Chesser
> damon@damtek.com
>
>
>
> --
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

What I am reading wrong:

$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/Debian-root
264854 255254 0 100% /
tmpfs 91848 0 91848 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10240 68 10172 1% /dev
tmpfs 91848 0 91848 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb6 233335 49336 171551 23% /boot
/dev/mapper/Debian-home
9913988 3348716 6061672 36% /home
/dev/mapper/Debian-tmp
376197 8274 347853 3% /tmp
/dev/mapper/Debian-usr
4922684 1202764 3469860 26% /usr
/dev/mapper/Debian-var
2955216 261392 2543708 10% /var


everything looks fine, right ?

$ df -h /boot
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdb6 228M 49M 168M 23% /boot


thx
--
Mathieu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Mike Bird 04-08-2008 10:41 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
On Tue April 8 2008 15:37:25 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> What I am reading wrong:
>
> $ df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/Debian-root
> 264854 255254 0 100% /
>
> everything looks fine, right ?

Damon is right. Your root is full. You could start with
"du -x --max-depth=1 /" to see what's taking up the space.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Damon L. Chesser" 04-08-2008 10:46 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:


Mike Bird wrote:



On Tue April 8 2008 15:11:06 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:




Has anyone seen this issue before (*). I am running a linux debian
stable (etch).




Yes. Wou were lucky. Sometimes when /boot is full it silently
corrupts the initramfs without any error message. You probably
need to make room in /boot, perhaps by deleting an old unused
kernel.






And that was my 2nd guess, but I have never had a full /boot so I can only
read the place where it errored, which was with the modules unpacking.

you can do a df -h /boot to test. most people put /boot on / if they are
not running raid or LVM or have some other reason to hang it alone. If
/boot is not on it's own partition, look at a full /


HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com



--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org





What I am reading wrong:

$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/Debian-root
264854 255254 0 100% /
tmpfs 91848 0 91848 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10240 68 10172 1% /dev
tmpfs 91848 0 91848 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb6 233335 49336 171551 23% /boot
/dev/mapper/Debian-home
9913988 3348716 6061672 36% /home
/dev/mapper/Debian-tmp
376197 8274 347853 3% /tmp
/dev/mapper/Debian-usr
4922684 1202764 3469860 26% /usr
/dev/mapper/Debian-var
2955216 261392 2543708 10% /var


everything looks fine, right ?

$ df -h /boot
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdb6 228M 49M 168M 23% /boot


thx


Wrong!

two things:


One: do this: df -h /

it is just easier to read.

Two: the first line of the report:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/mapper/Debian-root 264854 255254 0
100% /


Shows you have used 100% of / (root)

the reason that it shows 1K-blocks 264854 but only shows 255254 used and
says it is full is because 5% by default is reserved for user root.


is your /home on / or it's own partition? If it is on /, time to cut
down your collection of what-ever-you-downloaded (just guessing). you
could have a run-a-way log filling up your space.


time to do some detective work and find out what is filling up your / space.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Mathieu Malaterre" 04-08-2008 10:46 PM

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-5-486_2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> On Tue April 8 2008 15:37:25 Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > What I am reading wrong:
> >
> > $ df
> > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/mapper/Debian-root
> > 264854 255254 0 100% /
> >
> > everything looks fine, right ?
>
> Damon is right. Your root is full. You could start with
> "du -x --max-depth=1 /" to see what's taking up the space.

Thanks ! I was only looking at the /boot line. :)


Will fix asap, thanks all!
--
Mathieu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.