Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Chris Bannister

Default pgp key servers (was Suspend not working)

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:17:12PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:47:48 +0100
> Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 15:09:22 -0400, Frank (debian@videotron.ca)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I am running Sid using IceWm, not Gnome. Today for the first time ever
> > > I tried suspending the computer from the GDM menu...but nothing
> > > happened. I have auto login enabled so a few seconds later I was
> > > logged back in. Is there some config files that have to be
> > > changed/adjusted for suspend to work. I am running the stock 686
> > > kernel, and very average hardware on an Intel MB.
> >
> > Sorry I can't help with your suspend problem.
> >
> > I've been subscribed to this list for a few weeks and in that time
> > I have never seen a PGP signature fail like yours did:
> >
> > gpg: requesting key D2C6E9F2 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
> > gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> > gpg: Total number processed: 0
> > gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
> >
> > Is this a problem with my accessing the hkp server or with the original
> > signature?
>

> Or like yours?
>

> [application/pgp-signature (No public key to verify the signature)]
> Signature made at Sun 06 Apr 2008 04:47:48 PM EDT
> No public key to verify the signature
> Key fingerprint: B51408D89FF9A76D
> Cannot find user ID for this key.

I think you are using the wrong fingerprint.

Try this:
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 9FF9A76D

> This whole PGP thing drives me nuts sometimes. Is there ONE server
> everybody is supposed to use...I thought the servers exchanged keys ??
> A third of the signed messages fail the check.

Apparently they work in a round robin fashion so they should eventually
propagate to each other.

I also get the odd failure, i.e. try this:

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys C02440B8

> ---
> Frank McCormick

Also the sig delimiter is --<space><return>

--
Chris.
======

Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Frank McCormick

> > Or like yours?
> >

> > [application/pgp-signature (No public key to verify the signature)]
> > Signature made at Sun 06 Apr 2008 04:47:48 PM EDT
> > No public key to verify the signature
> > Key fingerprint: B51408D89FF9A76D
> > Cannot find user ID for this key.
>
> I think you are using the wrong fingerprint.
>
> Try this:
> gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 9FF9A76D

That was a copy/paste from my mailreader Sylpheed.

> > This whole PGP thing drives me nuts sometimes. Is there ONE server
> > everybody is supposed to use...I thought the servers exchanged keys ??
> > A third of the signed messages fail the check.
>
> Apparently they work in a round robin fashion so they should eventually
> propagate to each other.
>

> > ---
> > Frank McCormick
>
> Also the sig delimiter is --<space><return>

Sylpheed's choice, not mine. But I'll try to change it, then file a bug

--

Frank