-   -   debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/664249-debian-6-0-4-grub-installation-failed.html)

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 05-08-2012 11:02 AM

debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

i just bought 2TBx2 Harddrives and a computer for making it a
centralized archiving server. moving forward everything went well but
during the installation in RAID creating i noticed that i could not
change the "boot flag " to "on" it was off and i hit several enters
but it stays off. so i just continued with off. now when installation
completed . setup stops at grup installation and throw an error
"grub-install /dev/sda failed its a fatal error "

any idea why this?

i never face this type of error before. please help.

Thanks

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 05-08-2012 12:08 PM

debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

ok i fdisk the the partition via recovery CD clonezilla. but all the
partitions doesn't reflect in installation it is showing the old
partition structure however when i go to shell and check things via
FDISK it showed me the new created parttiion with boot flag on which i
have create via commandline.

Please help

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> i just bought 2TBx2 Harddrives and a computer for making it a
> centralized archiving server. moving forward everything went well but
> during the installation in RAID creating i noticed that i could not
> change the "boot flag " to "on" *it was off and i hit several enters
> but it stays off. so i just continued with off. now when installation
> completed . setup stops at grup installation and throw an error
> "grub-install /dev/sda failed its a fatal error "
>
> any idea why this?
>
> i never face this type of error before. please help.
>
> Thanks

05-08-2012 01:20 PM

debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

I had a similar problem recently with a SATA 3, 2 TB harddrive.
Squeeze installed properly, grub installed properly.
But when updating to wheezy (with a new grub version), grub
didn't wanted to install on the MBR.
Try to make a free partition at the start of the HD.

Tom H 05-08-2012 01:43 PM

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:

> i just bought 2TBx2 Harddrives and a computer for making it a
> centralized archiving server. moving forward everything went well but
> during the installation in RAID creating i noticed that i could not
> change the "boot flag " to "on" it was off and i hit several enters
> but it stays off. so i just continued with off. now when installation
> completed . setup stops at grup installation and throw an error
> "grub-install /dev/sda failed its a fatal error "
>
> any idea why this?
>
> i never face this type of error before. please help.

None of my boxes have a partition with the boot flag on.

Did you use a GPT label?

What do your partitions look like?

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 05-08-2012 02:47 PM

debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

by the way when i am creating partition via fdisk on 2TB HD . it
showed that my starting block is 2048. instead of 1. i dont know why.
however when i create the partition. via FDISK it gives me an error
when i fdisk -l /dev/sda. like "Partition does not start on physical
sector boundary" it happens when i create partition via installation
CD. however when i create via fdisk via clonezilla CD and try to
installed debian on these partition. installation doest recognize the
partition. it shows drive is empty.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 05-08-2012 02:50 PM

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i just bought 2TBx2 Harddrives and a computer for making it a
>> centralized archiving server. moving forward everything went well but
>> during the installation in RAID creating i noticed that i could not
>> change the "boot flag " to "on" it was off and i hit several enters
>> but it stays off. so i just continued with off. now when installation
>> completed . setup stops at grup installation and throw an error
>> "grub-install /dev/sda failed its a fatal error "
>>
>> any idea why this?
>>
>> i never face this type of error before. please help.
>
> None of my boxes have a partition with the boot flag on.
>
> Did you use a GPT label?

sorry i am not aware of GPT label, i am not that good. just using the
default stuff

> What do your partitions look like?

i am using Raid 1
3 partitions

1 gb for boot
4 gb for swap
200 gb for root

and i left rest of the space for further configuration. after installation.

Arnt Karlsen 05-08-2012 02:50 PM

On Tue, 8 May 2012 17:08:10 +0500, Muhammad wrote in message
<CAGWVfMmmgBswr+zt1SHA8WrDv0WTmDc6_C00i2+K4msDh48B Rg@mail.gmail.com>:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan
> <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i just bought 2TBx2 Harddrives and a computer for making it a
> > centralized archiving server. moving forward everything went well
> > but during the installation in RAID creating i noticed that i could
> > not change the "boot flag " to "on" *it was off and i hit several
> > enters but it stays off. so i just continued with off. now when
> > installation completed . setup stops at grup installation and throw
> > an error "grub-install /dev/sda failed its a fatal error "
> >
> > any idea why this?
> >
> > i never face this type of error before. please help.
> >
> > Thanks
>

> ok i fdisk the the partition via recovery CD clonezilla. but all the
> partitions doesn't reflect in installation it is showing the old
> partition structure however when i go to shell and check things via
> FDISK it showed me the new created parttiion with boot flag on which i
> have create via commandline.
>
> Please help

..try cfdisk, it "gives you eyes."

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 05-08-2012 03:10 PM

debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

cfdisk to 2tb Drive give me this

Warning!! Unsupported GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected. Use GNU Parted.

since things were not booting up with 2TB so i just installed 320 GB
HD so that things start well however after installation and after
successful boot. when i cfdisk the primary partition it give me this
error .

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 2: Partition ends in the final partial cylind
Press any key to exit cfdisk

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 05-08-2012 03:12 PM

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> cfdisk to 2tb Drive give me this
>
> Warning!! *Unsupported GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected. Use GNU Parted.
>
> since things were not booting up with 2TB so i just installed 320 GB
> HD so that things start well however after installation and after
> successful boot. when i cfdisk the primary partition it give me this
> error .
>
> FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 2: Partition ends in the final partial cylind
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *Press any key to exit cfdisk

FYI : things are working normal no issues at all.

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 May 2012 17:08:10 +0500, Muhammad wrote in message
>> <CAGWVfMmmgBswr+zt1SHA8WrDv0WTmDc6_C00i2+K4msDh48B Rg@mail.gmail.com>:

>>> ok i fdisk the the partition via recovery CD clonezilla. but all the
>>> partitions doesn't reflect in installation it is showing the old
>>> partition structure however when i go to shell and check things via
>>> FDISK it showed me the new created parttiion with boot flag on which i
>>> have create via commandline.
>>>
>>> Please help
>>
>> ..try cfdisk, it "gives you eyes."
>>
>> --
>> ..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt Karlsen
>> ...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
>> *Scenarios always come in sets of three:
>> *best case, worst case, and just in case.
>>

>> --

05-08-2012 03:44 PM

debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

> when i fdisk -l /dev/sda. like "Partition does not start on physical
> sector boundary" it happens when i create partition via installation
> CD. however when i create via fdisk via clonezilla CD and try to

Yes, had exactly the same error when I tried to make changes on
my partitions with gparted !

Is anyone here aware about this ?