Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Camaleón

Default debian 6.0.4 grub installation failed.

On Tue, 08 May 2012 16:02:10 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> i just bought 2TBx2 Harddrives and a computer for making it a
> centralized archiving server. moving forward everything went well but
> during the installation in RAID creating i noticed that i could not
> change the "boot flag " to "on" it was off and i hit several enters but
> it stays off. so i just continued with off. now when installation
> completed . setup stops at grup installation and throw an error
> "grub-install /dev/sda failed its a fatal error "
>
> any idea why this?
>
> i never face this type of error before. please help.

The error (at least the "message" because the underlying problem can be
of a different nature) is documented here:

http://wiki.debian.org/GrubRecover

Check if the suggested steps help (take care of adjusting the commands
for your GRUB version).

Besides, if you are using raid 1 don't forget installing GRUB in both
disks which are part of the array so the system can be automatically
booted in the event one of them go down.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

ok i used the parted command by "mklabel gpt" i created the partition
but i want it to be linux raid. please help me to convert it to raid
since i can not find option in parted to make it a "fd" linux raid
type nor i can find anything related to this topic on google. and
fdisk is not supporting the GPT . so i am stuck kindly help!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:15:43AM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> ok i used the parted command by "mklabel gpt" i created the partition
> but i want it to be linux raid. please help me to convert it to raid
> since i can not find option in parted to make it a "fd" linux raid
> type nor i can find anything related to this topic on google. and

Really? I searched for "parted raid" (without quotes) and the first
result I got was section 7 of the parted manual. That seems quite
self-explanatory.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

yes i got that , but first i thought. it is related to something LVM
over RAID. which means more complexity thats why i didn't read
thoroughly ,

thanks for the hit.