Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
songbird

Default gnome panel fonts on startup (solved for now)

songbird wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> Let the updates do their work :-)
>
> thanks, but no change in the situation with
> latest updates.

as it turns out, the Gnome transition going on
with updates to sid/wheezy crashed my new Gnome and
it retreated to running fallback instead.

the fonts work correctly on startup and restarts
of Gnome Panel under fallback.

thanks again,

songbird

Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 07 May 2012 17:27:53 -0400, songbird wrote:

> songbird wrote:
>> Camaleón wrote:
>>> Let the updates do their work :-)
>>
>> thanks, but no change in the situation with
>> latest updates.
>

> as it turns out, the Gnome transition going on
> with updates to sid/wheezy crashed my new Gnome and it retreated to
> running fallback instead.

Most of the gnome-shell crashes are because of:

- A bad "gnome-shell.css" file, should you have edited manually.

- A problem with VGA 3D acceleration (look at your "~/.xsession-errors"
file to find out more.

- An annoying bug :-)

> the fonts work correctly on startup and restarts
> of Gnome Panel under fallback.

I wonder why is that gnome-shell fails. Is that okay for you? I mean,
does your card support 3D and you're using a driver that makes use of it?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 AM
songbird

Camaleón wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>> the fonts work correctly on startup and restarts
>> of Gnome Panel under fallback.
>
> I wonder why is that gnome-shell fails. Is that okay
> for you?

right now it is very ok for me.

if i try to push gnome-shell to the most recent
version it wants to remove evolution. i would
rather leave my e-mail installed than have a most
recent Gnome.

fallback mode is working well for me now. i'm
going to leave this alone until i get a lot more
rainy days or the Gnome updates in sid/wheezy
work and don't break my e-mail.

> I mean,
> does your card support 3D and you're using a driver
> that makes use of it?

my card is built in and like the machine a ways
behind the times, drivers are most recent versions.

songbird

Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 08 May 2012 21:56:23 -0400, songbird wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> I wonder why is that gnome-shell fails. Is that okay for you?
>
> right now it is very ok for me.
>
> if i try to push gnome-shell to the most recent
> version it wants to remove evolution. i would rather leave my e-mail
> installed than have a most recent Gnome.

How can that be? What's the exact ouput you get?

> fallback mode is working well for me now. i'm
> going to leave this alone until i get a lot more rainy days or the Gnome
> updates in sid/wheezy work and don't break my e-mail.

Okay, but remember the GNOME classic login can dissapear in a near
future, don't rely so much on it.

>> I mean,
>> does your card support 3D and you're using a driver that makes use of
>> it?
>
> my card is built in and like the machine a ways
> behind the times, drivers are most recent versions.

Intel cards are usually well supported. Mine is an Intel and works
reasonably well with gnome-shell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón