-   -   Upgrading from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686 breaks on AMD Geode LX CPU (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/66406-upgrading-linux-image-2-6-18-686-linux-image-2-6-24-686-breaks-amd-geode-lx-cpu.html)

"Paul Richards" 04-08-2008 07:12 PM

Upgrading from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686 breaks on AMD Geode LX CPU

Hi,
I recently upgraded from etch to lenny and in the process my kernel
was upgraded from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686.
This new kernel crashes immediately after being uncompressed on boot,
and I have been forced to use the "486" build of the kernel if I want
2.6.24.

This AMD Geode LX processor has always executed 686 kernels in the
past. Have I previously just been lucky or is this a bug in 2.6.24?

This was the only problem I encountered during the etch to lenny
upgrade, so congratulations to everyone involved!

Below is my /proc/cpuinfo.

pauldoo@sandstrom:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 10
model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 498.066
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx
mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 997.66
clflush size : 32

--
Paul Richards

Ron Johnson 04-08-2008 09:02 PM

Upgrading from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686 breaks on AMD Geode LX CPU

"Paul Richards" 04-09-2008 09:14 AM

2008/4/8 Paul Richards <paul.richards@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I recently upgraded from etch to lenny and in the process my kernel
> was upgraded from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686.
> This new kernel crashes immediately after being uncompressed on boot,
> and I have been forced to use the "486" build of the kernel if I want
> 2.6.24.
>
> This AMD Geode LX processor has always executed 686 kernels in the
> past. Have I previously just been lucky or is this a bug in 2.6.24?

A friend of mine pointed me towards this:

Turns out the AMD Geode LX is affected by the same problem, and there
is already a fix in the pipeline.

--
Paul Richards

Thierry Chatelet 04-09-2008 09:28 AM

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 21:12:40 Paul Richards wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently upgraded from etch to lenny and in the process my kernel
> was upgraded from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686.
> This new kernel crashes immediately after being uncompressed on boot,
> and I have been forced to use the "486" build of the kernel if I want
> 2.6.24.
>
> This AMD Geode LX processor has always executed 686 kernels in the
> past. Have I previously just been lucky or is this a bug in 2.6.24?
>
> This was the only problem I encountered during the etch to lenny
> upgrade, so congratulations to everyone involved!
>
> Below is my /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> pauldoo@sandstrom:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family : 5
> model : 10
> model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 498.066
> cache size : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 1
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx
> mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
> bogomips : 997.66
> clflush size : 32
>

> --
> Paul Richards

I think a bug should be reported again d-i. If one choose to install lvm, and
let d-i choose the partition, when you select to have home, tmp, usr and var
in separated partition, it gives a too small partition for root. Then, when
there is an update of the kernel, or ia32-libs, at least, you get this
problem. I had that on the last two install I made. Fortunately, with lvm,
you can change the partition size, but it's not an easy process.
Thierry