Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Martin Seener

Default squeeze how to hot-reload new interfaces file

I think i may be discussed earlier but i didnt find it yet.

as all may know /etc/init.d/networking restart (or invoke-rc.d
networking restart) didnt work anymore.

while trying to handle it with ifdown -a && ifup -a it doesnt work either.

we have a post-boot config like this

auto lo

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

we want to migrate to

auto lo

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static

ifenslave-2.6 is already installed but when i change the interfaces file
- how can i easily make the new config active without rebooting the
whole server??

Thank you for any help!

Archive: 4FA7EDA6.8070701@seener.de">http://lists.debian.org/4FA7EDA6.8070701@seener.de

Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 07 May 2012 17:43:34 +0200, Martin Seener wrote:

> I think i may be discussed earlier but i didnt find it yet.
>
> as all may know /etc/init.d/networking restart (or invoke-rc.d
> networking restart) didnt work anymore.

(...)

Despite the warning, it still works (even in wheezy) :-?

What you may also need is doing both, restarting the networking service
and "upping" the desired interface after editing the "/etc/network/
interfaces" file, i.e. and given the bonded interface is already off and
networking service stopped):

ifup bond0 && /etc/init.d/networking restart

Should "restart" fails you can replace it with "/etc/init.d/networking
stop && /etc/init.d/networking start"

(careful with the above command if you are running from a remote session)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Camaleón

El 2012-05-07 a las 18:42 +0200, Martin Seener escribió:

(resending to the list and correcting the top-posting)

> Am 5/7/12 6:24 PM, schrieb Camaleón:
>> On Mon, 07 May 2012 17:43:34 +0200, Martin Seener wrote:
>>
>>> I think i may be discussed earlier but i didnt find it yet.
>>>
>>> as all may know /etc/init.d/networking restart (or invoke-rc.d
>>> networking restart) didnt work anymore.
>> (...)
>>
>> Despite the warning, it still works (even in wheezy) :-?
>>
>> What you may also need is doing both, restarting the networking service
>> and "upping" the desired interface after editing the "/etc/network/
>> interfaces" file, i.e. and given the bonded interface is already off and
>> networking service stopped):
>>
>> ifup bond0&& /etc/init.d/networking restart
>>
>> Should "restart" fails you can replace it with "/etc/init.d/networking
>> stop&& /etc/init.d/networking start"
>>
>> (careful with the above command if you are running from a remote session)

> Hi,
>
> thanks for that.
>
> i try to manage this all by puppet ... but dispite this fact,

Then you YMMV. I mean, I don't know if that will interefere with Puppet
:-?

> does your solution work when i have a "standard" interfaces file and all
> of this interfaces in the "standard" config
> are up and iam connected via ssh to it.

When I'm inside a ssh session in my Lenny:

1/ Edit the "/etc/network/interfaces" file (don't change the IP of the
host you're connected to, of course...)

2/ Run "/etc/init.d/networking restart && sleep 10 && ifup bond0 up

3/ Cross your fingers ;-)

Also, remember that if you want to manage the routing (e.g., the
gateway), you better use route/ip commands that allow on-the-fly
manipulation without disturbing the networking service.

> no while on the machine i replace the interfaces file with my new one,
> no more containing the auto eth0 but instead a auto bond0 static
> declaration with eth0 and eth1 as slaves (in a 3rd special config theres
> also a auto eth2 for a High-Avail. Line)
>
> so after replacing i should do ifup bond0 && /etc/init.d/networking stop
> && /etc/init.d/networking start
> and this should run?

If you are sitting in front of the server, yes. If you are connected
remotely, use the above command.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Tom H

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Martin Seener <martin@seener.de> wrote:

> as all may know /etc/init.d/networking restart (or invoke-rc.d networking
> restart) didnt work anymore.
>
> while trying to handle it with ifdown -a && ifup -a it doesnt work either.

Are you using NM?

/etc/init.d/networking restart
invoke-rc.d networking restart
service networking restart
ifupdown ethX

all work for me.

> we have a post-boot config like this
>
> auto lo
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> we want to migrate to
>
> auto lo
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet static
>
> ifenslave-2.6 is already installed but when i change the interfaces file -
> how can i easily make the new config active without rebooting the whole
> server??

Once you set up "/etc/network/interfaces", do "modprobe bonding" just
in case, and restart networking. (I'd stop networking, edit etc, and
then start but I don't think that it's strictly necessary).