Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Default samba / winbind and console loggin confusion

Dear All,

i have been using Samba for almost 6 months but now there is a problem
which i realize and now looking farword to resolve it.

in files /etc/pam.d/common-auth and /etc/pam.d/common-account

i put this line at the end of the file

auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

now things are working fine ans per the expectation but one thing
which i can not understand, when i try to logging to console screen it
ask the password 3 times. 1 time it accepts doest give any error.
second time "login server not found" and third time it accept the
password.

now when i commint"(#) the said line from common-account it ask me the
password only two times

however things are working fine even if i commit the line in common account.

here is some more setting detail over my samba server.

[lobal]
workgroup = ASSURETYCONSULT
realm = ASSURETYCONSULTING.COM
server string = %h server
security = ADS
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Entersnews*spassword:* %n

*Retypesnews*spassword:* %n
*passwordsupdatedssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
winbind use default domain = Yes

/etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd: compat winbind
group: compat winbind

what can i do to make things back to normal. it suppose to ask the
password only one time.

note : via putty it works fine (ask the password only one time)

Thanks,

Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Rob Owens

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 03:35:04PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> i have been using Samba for almost 6 months but now there is a problem
> which i realize and now looking farword to resolve it.
>
> in files /etc/pam.d/common-auth and /etc/pam.d/common-account
>
> i put this line at the end of the file
>
> auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
>

> now things are working fine ans per the expectation but one thing
> which i can not understand, when i try to logging to console screen it
> ask the password 3 times. 1 time it accepts doest give any error.
> second time "login server not found" and third time it accept the
> password.

Total guess here, but I've seen the words "use_first_pass" in pam files
before. Maybe that could be applied to your case.

-Rob

Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

# /etc/pam.d/common-auth
auth sufficient pam_winbind.so
auth required pam_unix.so use_first_pass

do you mean above ?