Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Paul E Condon

Default Questions about Netatalk running on Debian server

I have a long and troubled relation to Netatalk. I live in a family
where everyone else loves the Mac, and I have a need to communicate
with them. I once had netatalk running on Debian back in 2004, I
think, but lost that ability about the time my daughter bought her
first MacBook in 2006. I'm revisiting the problem now using an i386
box running Wheezy.

I've installed netatalk from a Debian repository and started looking
at /usr/share/doc/netatalk and the looking for a man page. The
.../doc/netatalk files all date from 2010 or earlier, which is well
before the version of netatalk in Wheezy was released. There is not
'man netatalk', but there is a 'man netatalk.conf', and that page
begins with:

" SYNOPSIS
/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf "

But no such file was installed by the netatalk package, and I can find
no mention of netatalk.conf at .../doc/netatalk/

According to Aptitude, the version of netatalk that I installed
is 2.2.2-1. From searching the web, I pick up statements that
things do work in it that never worked before. But I can't see
anything different in the documentation. I remember that, when I
did have it working long ago, I didn't have to do anything in
order to have it advertise its services and to have it actually
serve files. My problems then were with serving a printer. Now I
use CUPS for that. But I don't see my Macs picking up an advert.
(They do pickup adverts from one of the Macs, so I know that they
are listening.)

So, my questions:

Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy? Can you point
me to some debugging instructions? Or, can you lead me through some
tests to discover what is going wrong?

Please help.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Tom H

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I have a long and troubled relation to Netatalk. *I live in a family
> where everyone else loves the Mac, and I have a need to communicate
> with them. I once had netatalk running on Debian back in 2004, I
> think, but lost that ability about the time my daughter bought her
> first MacBook in 2006. I'm revisiting the problem now using an i386
> box running Wheezy.
>
> I've installed netatalk from a Debian repository and started looking
> at /usr/share/doc/netatalk and the looking for a man page. The
> .../doc/netatalk files all date from 2010 or earlier, which is well
> before the version of netatalk in Wheezy was released. There is not
> 'man netatalk', but there is a 'man netatalk.conf', and that page
> begins with:
>
> " SYNOPSIS
> * * * /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf "
>
> But no such file was installed by the netatalk package, and I can find
> no mention of netatalk.conf at .../doc/netatalk/

I haven't used netatalk for a long time but I remember
"/etc/default/netatalk" and "/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf".

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Paul E Condon

I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
version.

Surely someone is using this package. Please speak up.

Paul

P.S. Thanks Tom, but I need more than the fact that
/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf once existed as part of an earlier version
of the package. It may still be part of a properly configured
netatalk, but it doesn't seem to be included in this package.

On 20120506_230937, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have a long and troubled relation to Netatalk. I live in a family
> where everyone else loves the Mac, and I have a need to communicate
> with them. I once had netatalk running on Debian back in 2004, I
> think, but lost that ability about the time my daughter bought her
> first MacBook in 2006. I'm revisiting the problem now using an i386
> box running Wheezy.
>
> I've installed netatalk from a Debian repository and started looking
> at /usr/share/doc/netatalk and the looking for a man page. The
> .../doc/netatalk files all date from 2010 or earlier, which is well
> before the version of netatalk in Wheezy was released. There is not
> 'man netatalk', but there is a 'man netatalk.conf', and that page
> begins with:
>
> " SYNOPSIS
> /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf "
>
> But no such file was installed by the netatalk package, and I can find
> no mention of netatalk.conf at .../doc/netatalk/
>
> According to Aptitude, the version of netatalk that I installed
> is 2.2.2-1. From searching the web, I pick up statements that
> things do work in it that never worked before. But I can't see
> anything different in the documentation. I remember that, when I
> did have it working long ago, I didn't have to do anything in
> order to have it advertise its services and to have it actually
> serve files. My problems then were with serving a printer. Now I
> use CUPS for that. But I don't see my Macs picking up an advert.
> (They do pickup adverts from one of the Macs, so I know that they
> are listening.)
>
> So, my questions:
>
> Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy? Can you point
> me to some debugging instructions? Or, can you lead me through some
> tests to discover what is going wrong?
>
> Please help.
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Gilles Mocellin

I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
version.

Surely someone is using this package. Please speak up.

Paul

Sorry, I used netatalk a lot at work.
But since Mac OSX supports Samba shares, I don't use it anymore.
So... I can't help you...

[...]

Archive: 4FA9AA02.8090701@nuagelibre.org">http://lists.debian.org/4FA9AA02.8090701@nuagelibre.org

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Gregory Seidman

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 11:09:37PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
[...]
> Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy? Can you point
> me to some debugging instructions? Or, can you lead me through some
> tests to discover what is going wrong?

I have netatalk that I built from wheezy src to run on my squeeze system.
It is serving as a Time Capsule (i.e. network Time Machine backup volume)
for two laptops running the latest MacOS X (10.7.3 Lion).

I added the following line to /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf:

- -transall -uamlist uams_dhx2.so -nosavepassword

I added the following lines to /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default (after
commenting out the existing "Home Directory" line; replace xxxxx and yyyyy
with usernames):

======snip=====
~/ "$u" allow:xxxxx,yyyyy cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,noadouble

/mnt/timemachine/tm1 TimeMachine1 allow:yyyyy cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
/mnt/timemachine/tm2 TimeMachine2 allow:xxxxx cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
======snip=====

Note that /mnt/timemachine/tm[12] are mountpoints for LVM partitions. I
also had to touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported in each of the Time
Machine mountpoints.

I don't remember if I had to modify /etc/default/netatalk, but I have these
two lines which make sure the right servers start:

CNID_METAD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes

DHX2 seems to be the right choice for UAM. Users connect with their unix
usernames and passwords. None of the choices are tremendously secure. See
the Authentication section of
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/configuration.html for
details.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

> Please help.
> Paul E Condon
--Greg

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Mat Enders

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Gilles Mocellin
<gilles.mocellin@nuagelibre.org> wrote:
> Le 08/05/2012 23:14, Paul E Condon a écrit :
>>
>> I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
>> who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
>> installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
>> get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
>> is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
>> version.
>>
>> Surely someone is using this package. Please speak up.
>>
>> Paul
>

> Sorry, I used netatalk a lot at work.
> But since Mac OSX supports Samba shares, I don't use it anymore.
> So... I can't help you...
>
> [...]

Have tried this documentation from the projects website:

http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/

--
Mathew E. Enders

"Where once Samba and Apache sold Linux to the world they are now just
part of the plumbing. *But that's OK, plumbers make good money."
--Jeremy Allison

Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Tom H

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On 20120506_230937, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>
>> I have a long and troubled relation to Netatalk. *I live in a family
>> where everyone else loves the Mac, and I have a need to communicate
>> with them. I once had netatalk running on Debian back in 2004, I
>> think, but lost that ability about the time my daughter bought her
>> first MacBook in 2006. I'm revisiting the problem now using an i386
>> box running Wheezy.
>>
>> I've installed netatalk from a Debian repository and started looking
>> at /usr/share/doc/netatalk and the looking for a man page. The
>> .../doc/netatalk files all date from 2010 or earlier, which is well
>> before the version of netatalk in Wheezy was released. There is not
>> 'man netatalk', but there is a 'man netatalk.conf', and that page
>> begins with:
>>
>> " SYNOPSIS
>> * * * */etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf "
>>
>> But no such file was installed by the netatalk package, and I can find
>> no mention of netatalk.conf at .../doc/netatalk/
>>
>> According to Aptitude, the version of netatalk that I installed
>> is 2.2.2-1. From searching the web, I pick up statements that
>> things do work in it that never worked before. But I can't see
>> anything different in the documentation. I remember that, when I
>> did have it working long ago, I didn't have to do anything in
>> order to have it advertise its services and to have it actually
>> serve files. My problems then were with serving a printer. Now I
>> use CUPS for that. But I don't see my Macs picking up an advert.
>> (They do pickup adverts from one of the Macs, so I know that they
>> are listening.)
>>
>> So, my questions:
>>
>> Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy? *Can you point
>> me to some debugging instructions? *Or, can you lead me through some
>> tests to discover what is going wrong?
> I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
> who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
> installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
> get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
> is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
> version.
>
> P.S. Thanks Tom, but I need more than the fact that
> /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf once existed as part of an earlier version
> of the package. It may still be part of a properly configured
> netatalk, but it doesn't seem to be included in this package.

Please bottom-post.

You misunderstood. I said that I remember that the config files on
Debian are "/etc/default/netatalk" and /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf".
Perhaps I should've also said that I remember
"/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf" to be the Fedora equivalent of
"/etc/default/netatalk".

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20120508_210017, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 11:09:37PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> [...]
> > Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy? Can you point
> > me to some debugging instructions? Or, can you lead me through some
> > tests to discover what is going wrong?
>
> I have netatalk that I built from wheezy src to run on my squeeze system.
> It is serving as a Time Capsule (i.e. network Time Machine backup volume)
> for two laptops running the latest MacOS X (10.7.3 Lion).
>
> I added the following line to /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf:
>
> - -transall -uamlist uams_dhx2.so -nosavepassword
>
> I added the following lines to /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default (after
> commenting out the existing "Home Directory" line; replace xxxxx and yyyyy
> with usernames):
>
> ======snip=====
> ~/ "$u" allow:xxxxx,yyyyy cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,noadouble
>
> /mnt/timemachine/tm1 TimeMachine1 allow:yyyyy cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
> /mnt/timemachine/tm2 TimeMachine2 allow:xxxxx cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
> ======snip=====
>
> Note that /mnt/timemachine/tm[12] are mountpoints for LVM partitions. I
> also had to touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported in each of the Time
> Machine mountpoints.
>
> I don't remember if I had to modify /etc/default/netatalk, but I have these
> two lines which make sure the right servers start:
>
> CNID_METAD_RUN=yes
> AFPD_RUN=yes
>
> DHX2 seems to be the right choice for UAM. Users connect with their unix
> usernames and passwords. None of the choices are tremendously secure. See
> the Authentication section of
> http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/configuration.html for
> details.
>
> Let me know if you have any further questions.
>
> > Please help.
> > Paul E Condon
> --Greg

Thanks, Greg
Unfortunately for this project, it has been push down on my things-to-do
stack, by family problems. But this will surely help when I can get back
to working on this.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20120509_012529, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > On 20120506_230937, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a long and troubled relation to Netatalk. *I live in a family
> >> where everyone else loves the Mac, and I have a need to communicate
> >> with them. I once had netatalk running on Debian back in 2004, I
> >> think, but lost that ability about the time my daughter bought her
> >> first MacBook in 2006. I'm revisiting the problem now using an i386
> >> box running Wheezy.
> >>
> >> I've installed netatalk from a Debian repository and started looking
> >> at /usr/share/doc/netatalk and the looking for a man page. The
> >> .../doc/netatalk files all date from 2010 or earlier, which is well
> >> before the version of netatalk in Wheezy was released. There is not
> >> 'man netatalk', but there is a 'man netatalk.conf', and that page
> >> begins with:
> >>
> >> " SYNOPSIS
> >> * * * */etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf "
> >>
> >> But no such file was installed by the netatalk package, and I can find
> >> no mention of netatalk.conf at .../doc/netatalk/
> >>
> >> According to Aptitude, the version of netatalk that I installed
> >> is 2.2.2-1. From searching the web, I pick up statements that
> >> things do work in it that never worked before. But I can't see
> >> anything different in the documentation. I remember that, when I
> >> did have it working long ago, I didn't have to do anything in
> >> order to have it advertise its services and to have it actually
> >> serve files. My problems then were with serving a printer. Now I
> >> use CUPS for that. But I don't see my Macs picking up an advert.
> >> (They do pickup adverts from one of the Macs, so I know that they
> >> are listening.)
> >>
> >> So, my questions:
> >>
> >> Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy? *Can you point
> >> me to some debugging instructions? *Or, can you lead me through some
> >> tests to discover what is going wrong?
> > I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
> > who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
> > installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
> > get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
> > is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
> > version.
> >
> > P.S. Thanks Tom, but I need more than the fact that
> > /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf once existed as part of an earlier version
> > of the package. It may still be part of a properly configured
> > netatalk, but it doesn't seem to be included in this package.
>
> Please bottom-post.
>
> You misunderstood. I said that I remember that the config files on
> Debian are "/etc/default/netatalk" and /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf".
> Perhaps I should've also said that I remember
> "/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf" to be the Fedora equivalent of
> "/etc/default/netatalk".

Thanks, Tom.

I certainly did misunderstand, and calling it to my attention is much
appreciated. I my defense, I note that the package does add to the man
pages a page for netatalk.conf, and that man page does say it is
located in /etc/netatalk/, which begs the question, What is a default?
In other places than Debian, default behavior of a program is the way
it behaves if there is not a configuration file. Live and learn.

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Tom H

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Paul E Condon
<pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On 20120509_012529, Tom H wrote:

>>> I posted this, below, a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to find someone
>>> who follows this list and who actually has netatalk v. 2.2.2-1
>>> installed from the Debian package in Wheezy. I would very much like to
>>> get it working, but ... I can't. All the documentation that I can find
>>> is two or more years old, and does not pertain to the packaged
>>> version.
>>>
>>> P.S. Thanks Tom, but I need more than the fact that
>>> /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf once existed as part of an earlier version
>>> of the package. It may still be part of a properly configured
>>> netatalk, but it doesn't seem to be included in this package.
>>
>> Please bottom-post.
>>
>> You misunderstood. I said that I remember that the config files on
>> Debian are "/etc/default/netatalk" and /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf".
>> Perhaps I should've also said that I remember
>> "/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf" to be the Fedora equivalent of
>> "/etc/default/netatalk".
>
> Thanks, Tom.
>
> I certainly did misunderstand, and calling it to my attention is much
> appreciated. I my defense, I note that the package does add to the man
> pages a page for netatalk.conf, and that man page does say it is
> located in /etc/netatalk/, which begs the question, What is a default?
> In other places than Debian, default behavior of a program is the way
> it behaves if there is not a configuration file. Live and learn.

You're welcome.

I was wondering whether a bug should be filed against the man page of
"netatalk.conf". Not having netatalk installed and feeling too lazy to
instal it in a spare Vm, I googled the "netatalk.conf" Debian man page
and landed on the project's original man page [1] and it has the
following text: "If netatalk has been configured with --enable-debian,
it is not netatalk.conf but etc/default/netatalk".

I don't quite understand what you mean by "default behavior" but in
Debian, files in "/etc/default" are often used to control the behavior
of init daemons. (In RHEL/Fedora, "/etc/sysconfig" is used so it's
surprising that the maintainer didn't relocate
"/etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf" to "/etc/sysconfig/netatalk". He/she
could even convince upstream to add a "--redhat" compilation flag and
a explanatory line in the man page!)

AFAIK/AFAIR, it's "/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf" that's the more important
file and someone posted an example for you so I hope you have netatalk
running.

1. http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/netatalk.conf.5.html